Re: [SACC-L] Ben Stein: First the Movie, Now the Commentary on Evolution

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2008
      The Christian Right is really hopping onto the Blame Science bandwagon, as if science claimed to be moral ideology.

      I read a letter to the editor in the Mpls Star Tribune the other day that commented on the traveling Eugenics exhibit now at the Minnesota Science Museum. The writer insisted that the sterilization programs sponsored by the Eugenics movement were no different than the arguments of pro-choice supporters....

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      deborah.shepherd@...
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
      phone number: 763-433-1195

      >>> "bdlqvcc" <blynch@...> 3/7/2008 7:50 AM >>>

      A while back I shared links to a Ben Stein movie that criticizes
      education in the US for its "promotion of evolution." Stein's movie
      represents another attempt to play on ill informed understanding of
      science and evolution, to deepen the misunderstanding rather than clear
      it up. His latest commentary does more of the same, and in fact takes
      the new tack of linking the theory of evolution to societal racism and
      the Holocaust. ...not just to say that racists have used an
      evolutionary framework to justify their belefs, or to say that Hitler
      et al. used some theads of evolutionary understanding to underpin
      their "final solution," but to say instead that the theory of
      evolution itself "gave us social Darwinism" which gave us the
      Holocaust.

      http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57905

      Brian