Fwd: RE: The AA Virtual Campus in Second Life and your journal

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008
      Not to mention the elders who must pass both the old and new hunting skills down to those adolescent luddites among us. A not-so-classic case of cultural lag. It happens in anthropology all the time. I remember the geologists in 1969, in Idaho, used a helicopter. We archaeological surveyors hiked behind mule trains. When the PC replaced typewriters there was not so much moaning and groaning. The difference seems to be the scale and pace of the changes.
      And I agree. Large universities and clever practitioners will glom on to the new technology while we sloths get left in the dust.
      And some will actually know what they're doing, and how it is relevant to matters anthropological.
      :-) George

      PS: If the SACC listserver is "down," or if we have recently developed a new tradition of mass emailing, ..... well, fill me in. The direct emails are nice, but I'm wondering if I missed some announcement. -- G --

      Subject: RE: The AA Virtual Campus in Second Life and your journal
      Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:31:49 -0500
      From: "Lewine, Mark" <Mark.Lewine@...>
      To: "Lloyd Miller" <lloyd.miller@...>,
      "Abe, Benjamin" <babe@...>
      CC: "Barbara Mueller" <bmueller@...>,
      "Rebecca Cramer" <missiontosonora@...>,
      "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>,
      "Chuck Ellenbaum" <ellenbaumbridge@...>,
      "Phil Stein" <stein39@...>,
      "Dennis Kellogg" <mrkellogg@...>,
      "George Rodgers" <grodgers@...>,
      "Dianne Chidester" <dianneky@...>,
      "Ellen Johnson" <johnson@...>,
      "Barry Kass" <bkass@...>,
      "Marian McWhorter" <mjmcwhorte@...>,
      "Deborah Shepherd" <deborah.shepherd@...>,
      "Mel Johnson" <majohns@...>,
      "Tony Balzano" <abalzano@...>,
      "Jason Wenzel" <jwenzel@...>,
      "Linda Light" <ldlight10@...>,
      "Mary Pulford" <mpulford@...>,
      "Brian Donohue-Lynch" <bdonohue-lynch@...>,
      "Ann Kaupp" <kauppa@...>,
      "Mark Tromans" <mtromans@...>,
      "Diane Wilhelm" <dwilhelmdian@...>,
      "Cynthia Ninivaggi" <ninivaggic@...>,
      "Laura Gonzalez" <lagonzal@...>,
      "Tim Sullivan" <tls3471@...>,
      "Becky Stein-Frankle" <steinrl@...>,
      "George Thomas" <broruprecht@...>,
      "Pat Hamlen" <phamlen@...>,
      "Tom Stevenson" <tstevens@...>,
      "Popplestone, Ann" <Ann.Popplestone@...>,
      "Rob Edwards" <redwards@...>,
      "Mary Gilliland" <mkgilliland@...>,
      Stephanie Roberg-López <roberg@...>

      Omara, once again you amaze us with your abilities to integrate cultural skills of different times and places...keeping the focus on student learning at all times. PLEASE, keep a journal on how you did this and how it has been working so that you then give us a presentation and/or paper on it. The silverbacks must pass on the good stuff to the next generation! Peace, Mark