Deadline extended

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2008
      Dear Contributing Editors,

      Due to the popularity of the call for article proposals for our
      thematic issue on migration, immigration, and emigration, we are
      extending the proposal deadline. I have received several requests for
      submitting proposals on the Contemporary Public Policy and Global
      Flows subthemes (whose deadlines were earlier this month) and would
      like to accommodate these potential contributors. Proposals for all
      three subthemes will now be accepted through the end of January,
      including photo essay proposals. Please see the attached document for
      details. I encourage you to circulate this announcement within your
      sections.

      Best regards,
      Dinah

      Dinah Winnick
      Associate Managing Editor, Anthropology News
      American Anthropological Association
      2200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
      Arlington, VA 22201
      703.528.1902 ext. 3005
      dwinnick@...

      Call for Article Proposals

      Migration, Immigration, and Emigration

      CONTEMPORARY PUBLIC POLICY

      What can anthropology contribute to the understanding and design of
      public policy on (im)migration? How have different governments
      responded to (im)migrants and public concerns regarding (im)
      migration? How are (im)migrants and transnational communities
      affected by public policy and policy discourse? How do different
      authorities at municipal, state, national, and international levels
      conceive of public domains of care and the provision of public
      services? How are notions of race employed in (im)migration policy
      discourse?

      GLOBAL FLOWS

      The transnational movement of people and capital is a popular theme
      among contemporary social scientists examining international
      development, seasonal migration, and various other topics. In what
      ways has population movement impacted or inspired the kind of work
      anthropologists do and how anthropologists conceive of their
      subjects? How have anthropologists examined flows of information, raw
      materials, food, medicine, power, and capital alongside population
      flows? How have indigeneity, locality, citizenship, and nationality
      been articulated within and alongside discourses of global flows?

      How are historic human migratory patterns discussed in the different
      subfields of anthropology? How have scientific innovations (e.g.
      genetics research technologies) affected the ways in which
      anthropologists examine and understand historic migration?

      CONCEPTUALIZING BORDERS

      Borders and boundaries provide a rich but challenging site for
      anthropological research. How do anthropologists engage with
      contested notions of social and geographic borders/boundaries? How
      has work on migration affected anthropological methods and the ways
      in which scope and scale are articulated in ethnography? How do
      individuals and social groups re-imagine their identities in
      temporary and permanent situations of forced migration, refuge, and
      asylum?

      Email a 200-300 word proposal or draft commentary if available
      (800-1400 words) to Anthropology News Associate Managing Editor Dinah
      Winnick, dwinnick@.... Proposals for photo essays are also
      welcome and should include five photographs and a 200-300 word
      description. Due to popular demand, the deadline for all proposals
      has been extended to January 31, 2008.