student anthropology club

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2008
      In a recent post to this list, Linda Stine asked me how the student anthropology club was going.

      Some might remember that I had made a post to this list about four months ago asking for advice or comments about starting and running such a club. I modelled the start of the club based primarily on what I heard from Linda Stine and Rob Edwards.

      I am pleased to report that, at least by my standards, the club has been an overwhelming success. All three anthropology faculty at our college promoted the inaugural meeting and attended the first meeting. We got them started with suggestions about an organizations structure and potential funding, etc, but then really left it in their hands. The club started in September. They meet every week for an hour, and I attend as the faculty liason. In addtion to the weekly meetings, the club has organized a field trip and social events. Besides meetings, they communciate through face-book. There is a core group of about eight, but meeting attendance has fluctuated between about 10 and 25.

      I think that the club will be good for attendance in anthropology courses. I know that I have several students who attended one or meetings last term who have now enroled in my classes this term. Students talk to each other about the various courses and instructors.

      For anyone considering starting a student anthropology club at their institution, I strongly recommend it.