Fwd: seniors, volunteers, unlimited resources, and archaeology

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2008
      Bob Muckle's field school circumstances, considered alongside the family picnic ambience of many public "field school" venues, illustrates the important point that "archaeological fieldwork" ranges in difficulty from sultry Spring days in field lab shelters suitable for the participation of wheelchair-bound seniors, to rugged hiking into remote areas carrying all equipment daily.

      What should be common to all field schools is careful research planning, usually under the guidance of experienced archaeological professionals or published, peer-reviewed amateurs. Beyond this common quality, and the legal considerations many have mentioned, it's pretty much up for grabs.

      Some actually LIKE crawling into remote areas through thorns and across raging canyon streams.

      With unlimited resources (and Bob, I'm sure you'd be thrilled to chair a discussion of that as well), the remote field school problem described here could be balanced each year with a more sedate program or a "base-camp laboratory" system suitable for the infirm, weak, old , tired, lazy, disinclined, and otherwise alternative set. The Texas Archeological Society fieldschool (usually two weeks in June) charges an admission fee which goes toward Society expenses. I haven't checked recently, but the by-laws, etc. are probably available on the TAS website. The group is particularly well-known for significant contributions by the region's professionals as well as unusually experienced, published avocationalists. The skill levels and accomplishments of the pros and ams overlap. Some of the better lab work or writing is done by the less active lab tech set.

      I have a gut feeling that the TAS and its vigorous activities stimulate some public support, and displace some as well.

      But that's just my 2/10ths of a cent.

      George