Fwd: Re: Archaeology in Community Colleges

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2008
      Mattie-
      More on your request. This Texas Archeological Society steward replied to you and apparently sent the email to me. You should find any subscribers to:

      txarch-l@...

      .... to be just as eager and responsive as this fellow.
      Good luck, and I hope this topic finds its way into the SACC program as a roundtable discussion.
      (I won't make it this year. Maybe 2009).
      George Thomas

      From: WGClampitt@...
      Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:35:08 EST
      Subject: Re: Archaeology in Community Colleges
      To: broruprecht@...

      Hi Mattie,

      I don't know if anyone from the Texas Archeol. Society has contacted you, but I have been a member for about 10 years and have enjoyed their fieldschools all over Texas. In a nutshell we accommodate people by offering three levels of activity. Besides the excavations, we contact surrounding landowners for permission to survey their property during the week of fieldschool. The survey teams are usually composed of the younger folks who need to keep moving and changing interest. They are lead by someone experienced in this area.

      Next, we have excavation which is overseen by a professional archeologists with the assistance of area supervisors. The individual excavation units are run by a crew chief who is an experienced person in recording excavations and proper methodology.

      The third option is for lab work where there is a shady spot or air conditioned building. Here the bagged field collections are washed, sorted. labeled and rebagged. Many of the older folks choose this as they get to see and handle all the artifacts without the labor of digging them up.

      Our fieldschools typically have attendance in the 300-500 person range. Everyone camps out or gets available motel rooms and we try to use parks or somewhere with a pavilion near the campgrounds to hold nightly talks, reports and meetings.

      I hope this helps some and if you have more specific questions feel free to ask.

      Best,

      Wayne Clampitt
      Archeological Steward
      Texas Historical Commission

      ---------------------------------

      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Posted by: "mattierasberry0226" mattierasberry0226@...
      Date: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 am ((PST))

      Hello everyone,
      I'm somewhat new to this group--and am only in my second semester of
      teaching. I have a bit of a dilemma that I'd love some feedback on.
      This semster I am teaching Archaeology Methods and theory (A term) in
      the classroom, and an Archaeological Field school (b-term). The
      problem that has arisen now that I've met my students is that 13 of 17
      of them are elderly, frail senior citizens who are simply fascinated
      by the subject matter. The college ran a feature story about the
      field research in the Sunday paper prior to registration to generate
      community interest and bring in more students--it worked. The
      remaining 4 are traditional students in college transfer programs. I
      don't want implement a double standard but at the same time, I don't
      want to ailenate the older students nor do I want to lower standards
      for college transfer students either.(Pertaining mostly to the field
      work portion.) How you would handle this type of situation?

      Mattie Rasberry
      Craven Community College
      New Bern, NC

    • Wenzel, Jason
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2008
        That is interesting how Texas does a statewide/society dig. I've worked with an archaeologist named Jamie Brandon from Arkansas who is involved with something similar in his state. I wonder how many states do something like this annually? We don't in Florida.

        Jason

        txarch-l@... <mailto:txarch-l%40listserv.tamu.edu>

        From: WGClampitt@... <mailto:WGClampitt%40aol.com>
        Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:35:08 EST