RE: [SACC-L] Syllabi & Primate Films

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hi, Laura:

      Thanks for making the file on the listserv! I tried to upload my syllabus using a folder (in an attempt to copy you!), but failed, so I just stuck it up as an added file. I am SO technologically challenged! And, speaking of challenged, I am also unclear on "lesson plan." Do you mean cool in-class activities, our lectures, out-of-class assignments? If we can't attend the annual meeting, can we still get/buy a copy of the cd?

      I love that you require donuts for cell phone disturbances! I am going to put something like that in my next syllabus, except I'll require "treat that is common amongst your ethnic or national group." That way I can take advantage of the huge diversity in my classroom and maybe get some yummy Turkish Delight or sesame candy out of the deal!

      --Sydney

      >>> Laura Gonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> 01/09/08 8:02 AM >>>
      I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending in their
      Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
      lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and producing a CD
      for all the annual meeting attendees in March.

      These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we offer, the
      more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about membership.!)

      To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
      deborah.shepherd@...

      To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left margin. I've
      created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it directly.

      To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@...
      (Please include your name and college affiliation.)

      Thanks --

      Laura

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
        Hi Sydney,

        If you want to create a folder, you can click on the create folder link
        right there, next to the file link. The system won't upload a whole folder
        from your computer, but once you create the folder, you can upload your
        files into it!

        By lesson plans, I'm referring to in-class activities, homework assignments,
        or larger lesson plans with embedded activities and readings, as the AAA
        used to send out. I have a fabulous lesson plan that Serena Nanda published
        on arranged marriage in India - complete with authentic personal ads for a
        spouse from an Indian newspaper - that the AAA sent me for free. I'm hoping
        to provide meeting attendees (and non-attending members who request it) with
        some immediately useful additions to or inspirations for their courses.

        Actually the donut idea came from a workshop my husband took as part of his
        job training. Of course, his was the first cell phone to go off, and he
        dutifully provided donuts for the whole group. Ahh, the power of
        humiliation! (I mean that in the nicest way, of course.) In class, I allow
        the student to choose how many donuts to bring, realizing that not everyone
        can afford 45 donuts, nor does everyone eat donuts. I'll eat three, but
        anyway.

        Laura

        Thanks for making the file on the listserv! I tried to upload my syllabus
        using a folder (in an attempt to copy you!), but failed, so I just stuck it
        up as an added file. I am SO technologically challenged! And, speaking of
        challenged, I am also unclear on "lesson plan." Do you mean cool in-class
        activities, our lectures, out-of-class assignments? If we can't attend the
        annual meeting, can we still get/buy a copy of the cd?

        I love that you require donuts for cell phone disturbances! I am going to
        put something like that in my next syllabus, except I'll require "treat that
        is common amongst your ethnic or national group." That way I can take
        advantage of the huge diversity in my classroom and maybe get some yummy
        Turkish Delight or sesame candy out of the deal!

        --Sydney

        >>> Laura Gonzalez <ltgonzalez@cox. <mailto:ltgonzalez%40cox.net> net>
        01/09/08 8:02 AM >>>
        I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending in their
        Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
        lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and producing a CD
        for all the annual meeting attendees in March.

        These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we offer, the
        more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about membership.!)

        To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
        deborah.shepherd@ <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>
        anokaramsey.edu

        To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left margin. I've
        created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it directly.

        To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@sdccd.
        <mailto:LAGonzal%40sdccd.edu> edu