RE: [SACC-L] Syllabi & Primate Films

  • Laura Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
      I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending in their
      Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
      lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and producing a CD
      for all the annual meeting attendees in March.

      These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we offer, the
      more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about membership.!)

      To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
      deborah.shepherd@...

      To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left margin. I've
      created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it directly.

      To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@...
      (Please include your name and college affiliation.)

      Thanks --

      Laura

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
        Laura, that's terrific!
        Lloyd

        On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:02 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

        > I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending
        > in their
        > Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
        > lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and
        > producing a CD
        > for all the annual meeting attendees in March.
        >
        > These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we
        > offer, the
        > more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about
        > membership.!)
        >
        > To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
        > deborah.shepherd@...
        >
        > To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left
        > margin. I've
        > created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it
        > directly.
        >
        > To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@...
        > (Please include your name and college affiliation.)
        >
        > Thanks --
        >
        > Laura

      • Sydney Hart
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          Hi, Laura:

          Thanks for making the file on the listserv! I tried to upload my syllabus using a folder (in an attempt to copy you!), but failed, so I just stuck it up as an added file. I am SO technologically challenged! And, speaking of challenged, I am also unclear on "lesson plan." Do you mean cool in-class activities, our lectures, out-of-class assignments? If we can't attend the annual meeting, can we still get/buy a copy of the cd?

          I love that you require donuts for cell phone disturbances! I am going to put something like that in my next syllabus, except I'll require "treat that is common amongst your ethnic or national group." That way I can take advantage of the huge diversity in my classroom and maybe get some yummy Turkish Delight or sesame candy out of the deal!

          --Sydney

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            Hi Sydney,

            If you want to create a folder, you can click on the create folder link
            right there, next to the file link. The system won't upload a whole folder
            from your computer, but once you create the folder, you can upload your
            files into it!

            By lesson plans, I'm referring to in-class activities, homework assignments,
            or larger lesson plans with embedded activities and readings, as the AAA
            used to send out. I have a fabulous lesson plan that Serena Nanda published
            on arranged marriage in India - complete with authentic personal ads for a
            spouse from an Indian newspaper - that the AAA sent me for free. I'm hoping
            to provide meeting attendees (and non-attending members who request it) with
            some immediately useful additions to or inspirations for their courses.

            Actually the donut idea came from a workshop my husband took as part of his
            job training. Of course, his was the first cell phone to go off, and he
            dutifully provided donuts for the whole group. Ahh, the power of
            humiliation! (I mean that in the nicest way, of course.) In class, I allow
            the student to choose how many donuts to bring, realizing that not everyone
            can afford 45 donuts, nor does everyone eat donuts. I'll eat three, but
            anyway.

            Laura

            Thanks for making the file on the listserv! I tried to upload my syllabus
            using a folder (in an attempt to copy you!), but failed, so I just stuck it
            up as an added file. I am SO technologically challenged! And, speaking of
            challenged, I am also unclear on "lesson plan." Do you mean cool in-class
            activities, our lectures, out-of-class assignments? If we can't attend the
            annual meeting, can we still get/buy a copy of the cd?

            I love that you require donuts for cell phone disturbances! I am going to
            put something like that in my next syllabus, except I'll require "treat that
            is common amongst your ethnic or national group." That way I can take
            advantage of the huge diversity in my classroom and maybe get some yummy
            Turkish Delight or sesame candy out of the deal!

            --Sydney

            >>> Laura Gonzalez <ltgonzalez@cox. <mailto:ltgonzalez%40cox.net> net>
            01/09/08 8:02 AM >>>
            I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending in their
            Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
            lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and producing a CD
            for all the annual meeting attendees in March.

            These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we offer, the
            more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about membership.!)

            To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
            deborah.shepherd@ <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>
            anokaramsey.edu

            To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left margin. I've
            created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it directly.

            To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@sdccd.
            <mailto:LAGonzal%40sdccd.edu> edu