Syllabi & Primate Films

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
      One of the unrealized potentials of SACC-L is the collection and sharing of teaching materials. I hope that everyone will send in their syllabi for the Spring semester. We are all reinventing the wheel. There are some great ideas out there, which would be great to share.

      It's clear that someone needs to produce an introduction to primate film. The closest there is to a general introduction and overview is "Survey of the Primates." But it is an old film, with practically all of the mateiral filmed at the San Diego Zoo. At that time the tree shrews were considered to be a part of the primate order (the film uses the phrase "transitional form") and some of the family names have a strange pronounciation.

    • Laura Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
        I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending in their
        Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
        lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and producing a CD
        for all the annual meeting attendees in March.

        These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we offer, the
        more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about membership.!)

        To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
        deborah.shepherd@...

        To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left margin. I've
        created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it directly.

        To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@...
        (Please include your name and college affiliation.)

        Thanks --

        Laura

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          Laura, that's terrific!
          Lloyd

          On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:02 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

          > I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending
          > in their
          > Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
          > lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and
          > producing a CD
          > for all the annual meeting attendees in March.
          >
          > These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we
          > offer, the
          > more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about
          > membership.!)
          >
          > To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
          > deborah.shepherd@...
          >
          > To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left
          > margin. I've
          > created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it
          > directly.
          >
          > To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@...
          > (Please include your name and college affiliation.)
          >
          > Thanks --
          >
          > Laura

        • Sydney Hart
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            Hi, Laura:

            Thanks for making the file on the listserv! I tried to upload my syllabus using a folder (in an attempt to copy you!), but failed, so I just stuck it up as an added file. I am SO technologically challenged! And, speaking of challenged, I am also unclear on "lesson plan." Do you mean cool in-class activities, our lectures, out-of-class assignments? If we can't attend the annual meeting, can we still get/buy a copy of the cd?

            I love that you require donuts for cell phone disturbances! I am going to put something like that in my next syllabus, except I'll require "treat that is common amongst your ethnic or national group." That way I can take advantage of the huge diversity in my classroom and maybe get some yummy Turkish Delight or sesame candy out of the deal!

            --Sydney

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
              Hi Sydney,

              If you want to create a folder, you can click on the create folder link
              right there, next to the file link. The system won't upload a whole folder
              from your computer, but once you create the folder, you can upload your
              files into it!

              By lesson plans, I'm referring to in-class activities, homework assignments,
              or larger lesson plans with embedded activities and readings, as the AAA
              used to send out. I have a fabulous lesson plan that Serena Nanda published
              on arranged marriage in India - complete with authentic personal ads for a
              spouse from an Indian newspaper - that the AAA sent me for free. I'm hoping
              to provide meeting attendees (and non-attending members who request it) with
              some immediately useful additions to or inspirations for their courses.

              Actually the donut idea came from a workshop my husband took as part of his
              job training. Of course, his was the first cell phone to go off, and he
              dutifully provided donuts for the whole group. Ahh, the power of
              humiliation! (I mean that in the nicest way, of course.) In class, I allow
              the student to choose how many donuts to bring, realizing that not everyone
              can afford 45 donuts, nor does everyone eat donuts. I'll eat three, but
              anyway.

              Laura

              Thanks for making the file on the listserv! I tried to upload my syllabus
              using a folder (in an attempt to copy you!), but failed, so I just stuck it
              up as an added file. I am SO technologically challenged! And, speaking of
              challenged, I am also unclear on "lesson plan." Do you mean cool in-class
              activities, our lectures, out-of-class assignments? If we can't attend the
              annual meeting, can we still get/buy a copy of the cd?

              I love that you require donuts for cell phone disturbances! I am going to
              put something like that in my next syllabus, except I'll require "treat that
              is common amongst your ethnic or national group." That way I can take
              advantage of the huge diversity in my classroom and maybe get some yummy
              Turkish Delight or sesame candy out of the deal!

              --Sydney

              >>> Laura Gonzalez <ltgonzalez@cox. <mailto:ltgonzalez%40cox.net> net>
              01/09/08 8:02 AM >>>
              I will second this. and ask that everyone not only consider sending in their
              Fall or Spring semester syllabi, but also one or two of their favorite
              lesson plans directly to me. I will be compiling these and producing a CD
              for all the annual meeting attendees in March.

              These are great resources; don't be shy! The more resources we offer, the
              more members we may retain. (Hey, it's my job to think about membership.!)

              To send your syllabi for posting on the website:
              deborah.shepherd@ <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>
              anokaramsey.edu

              To send syllabi to the listserve: Click on "Files" in the left margin. I've
              created a folder under "Files" called "Syllabi" and you can add it directly.

              To send your favorite lesson plans directly to me: LAGonzal@sdccd.
              <mailto:LAGonzal%40sdccd.edu> edu