SACC Annual Meeting Reminder

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2008
      Deadline for paper presentations is January 11! Reservations for the hotel to receive conference price ($169 plus tax) must be made by February 14.

      Forms and Information are located on the SACC website at http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/

      Our annual meeting, March 14-18, takes place at the Holiday Inn Central at Rhode Island Ave. and 15th Street (202-483-2000) in Washington, D.C.

      We will hold a board meeting on Friday, the 14th from 2-5 p.m., followed by a nice reception of drinks and hors d'oeuvres from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

      The theme of the meeting is "Sharing Knowledge: Anthropology's Contributions to Understanding Human Bio-Cultural Diversity."

      Saturday and Sunday we will have paper sessions. Saturday evening we will take a "Washington After Dark" bus tour, from 7 - 10 p.m. On Sunday

      guest speaker Ms. Pam Henson, Smithsonian historian, will introduce us to some of the colorful early Smithsonian anthropologists. On Monday we visit the Smithsonian. Museum of the American Indian Curator Dr. Gabriella Tayac (Piscataway) will talk about Indians of the Chesapeake Bay area and provide an overview of the museum's exhibits, which we will tour on our own. Monday lunch is provided at the Indian museum's acclaimed Mitsitam Native Foods Café. After lunch we walk to the Department of Anthropology at the National Museum of Natural History and hear a presentation by archaeologist Dr. Dennis Stanford on an alternative view on the peopling of the Americas. His talk will be followed by physical anthropologist Dr. Doug Owsley, who will present his research on bioarchaeological perspectives on 17th century life in Jamestown.

      If you have any questions, please email me at kauppa@.... I look forward to seeing you in March. Ann

    • anthony balzano
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2008
        thanks!