RE: [SACC-L] Please Suggest a Primatology Documentary

  • Lori Barkley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
      Bonobos: The Uncommon Chimpanzee

      >>> "Johnson, Ellen C. K." <Johnson@...> 02/01/2008 9:13 am >>>
      You might check the University of Wisconsin web site for primates.
      (suggestion from John Staeck, College of DuPage)

      Ellen Johnson, COD

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Jason,

        I use Life in the Trees, a film hosted by David Attenborough. It is an older
        film, but not out of date, and a good general survey of primates. It covers
        prosimians, New World, Old World and apes. It is funny at times, and
        students seem to enjoy it.

        I also show The New Chimpanzees, a wonderful National Geographic film that
        is funny, dramatic and moving. It's more up to date than the first film, but
        only deals with chimps and has a short segment on bonobos. There is great
        footage of the 1974 chimp war at Gombe and Richard Wrangham eating ants
        (badly, as blood is dripping down his chin while he smiles and chats about
        this and that). I highly recommend it.

        -Laura

      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
          I would also recommend the special from the Nature series - Guenons.
          Kingdon is in it, and it brings vocalizations and language into the picture.
          Mike Pavlik