Ken Miller, Intel Design debate, Google citations & urls

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      Here are a couple of urls I located when I Googled the title of the Ken Miller talk. One of the fellows Miller critiques runs an intel design blog called "uncommon descent," in which the well-worn mission statement of ID is expressed in an upper right corner. Shortly after the Miller talk, Uncommon Descent ran this article expressing the view or wish that Miller would, or had, collapsed. Ad hominem attack runs throughout, particularly in the long list of comments that appear below the article. It's instructive. Just as Miller attributed some of the research focus in evolutionary biology to the political pressures exerted by ID, it's certainly a good thing to keep tabs on some of the assertions in "uncommon D," in case they issue some kind of refutation that has some relevance. Through all the handwringing, I saw no reference to testability, measurability, and an unfettered definition of science. The blog is an exercise in assertion and reassertion throughout.
      The other url happened to be adjacent. It's a 2005 "white paper" from U. Indiana with some useful references to the ID imbroglio.
      George

      http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/the-collapse-of-ken-miller/

      http://poynter.indiana.edu/Science%20&%20Public%20Reason.pdf