Please Suggest a Primatology Documentary

  • Wenzel, Jason
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi,

      First of all, Happy New Year to everybody!

      I am interested in requesting my library purchase a primatology related documentary that I can show in my Introductory Anthropology course. I am currently using the Haviland, et. al Essence of Anthropology text. I am looking for something that is up-to-date, comprehensive, interesting, at about an hour's length and suitable for an introductory class.

      I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

      Thanks,

      Jason
    • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
        You might check the University of Wisconsin web site for primates.
        (suggestion from John Staeck, College of DuPage)

        Ellen Johnson, COD

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
          Bonobos: The Uncommon Chimpanzee

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hi Jason,

            I use Life in the Trees, a film hosted by David Attenborough. It is an older
            film, but not out of date, and a good general survey of primates. It covers
            prosimians, New World, Old World and apes. It is funny at times, and
            students seem to enjoy it.

            I also show The New Chimpanzees, a wonderful National Geographic film that
            is funny, dramatic and moving. It's more up to date than the first film, but
            only deals with chimps and has a short segment on bonobos. There is great
            footage of the 1974 chimp war at Gombe and Richard Wrangham eating ants
            (badly, as blood is dripping down his chin while he smiles and chats about
            this and that). I highly recommend it.

            -Laura

          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
              I would also recommend the special from the Nature series - Guenons.
              Kingdon is in it, and it brings vocalizations and language into the picture.
              Mike Pavlik