Update story on accelerating human evolution

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
      I first saw this mentioned from yesterday in The Guardian International of all places. The best current version I can find comes from Prof. John Hawks' own weblog entry from today:

      http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration/accel_story_2007.html

      If you teach human evolution like me, you probably get at least one question per semester like this: "Are humans still evolving?" I've always said yes, but reasoned that our ability to adapt much faster culturally overrides many of our potential biological adaptations. I must confess I've found I've been a bit backward on this topic after reading about this research. My only "excuse" is that I'm really an archaeologist!

      Fascinating stuff, though. I'll be sharing it with future phys anth classes.

      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      deborah.shepherd@...
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
      phone number: 763-433-1195

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
        Here's another weblog entry making direct reference to the paper (to be published in PNAS) which was the source of the Guardian article:

        http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration_embargo_ends_2007.html

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2007
          Dear SACC Members,

          It would be great if someone is interested in putting together a session
          on race at the SACC annual meeting in D.C. so that we can designate it
          "in honor of Len Lieberman." Here is the SACC website with the Call for
          Papers. http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/SACCFest2008/

          We had a productive SACC business meeting at the AAA meeting in D.C.
          Mary Gilliland and Maren Wilson offered to be co-presidents next year
          while Patricia Hamlin will take over Mary's secretary position for one
          year. Dennis Kellogg has agreed to be president for 2010 and George and
          Jo Raines Rodgers I think will be co-chairs in 2011. We are grateful
          that Laura Gonzales has taken over membership and doing such a fine,
          conscientious job. Thank you, Mark, for all your hard work over the
          years to increase membership and for your passion for education, this
          society, and its members.

          We applaud Rob Edwards for his very successful meeting in Monterey and
          for handling his role as president with such aplomb. Rob and his wife
          Julie also put together information for future presidents on organizing
          a meeting and what they learned from the experience. Dianne Chidester
          and Mel Johnson were helpful to Rob in putting this document together.
          Rob, can you send this to me on email and I will send it on to recent
          past presidents for their input as you suggested.

          Mary will have the minutes available soon as I know I have left out much
          information. If anyone else would like to run for president in 2009,
          please let me know as we will be putting together a ballot this spring.

          We have a great team and I look forward to serving you as president the
          coming year. Ann Kaupp

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2007
            Thank you , Ann. Yes, I would like to help put together a Panel or
            Round Table on Teaching Race and Racism in Anthropology, a 5 Field
            Approach...I know others like Tony Balzano, Cynthia Ninivaggi who have
            strong approaches to race and racism in their curriculum for
            anthropology, how about it? We do this in honor of Len Leiberman, who
            helped lead the AAA in forming a sound anthropological approach to race
            and the teaching of the concept as well as work and identify with SACC
            and community college teaching and learning. Let's collaborate and put
            together a session which will help provide the RACE project with some
            outstanding curricular models for other teachers to use as it travels
            around the country.