Re: [SACC-L] SACC Notes received?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
      Brian,

      I'm guessing your copy has your address label on the outside back
      page and came without an envelope. That is the bulk mailing.
      Typically for each issue, I get a set of member/subscriber mailing
      labels from AAA and give them and the issues to the appropriate folks
      at the college and they take them to a bulk mailing service. The
      arrival date varies widely from issue to issue. I always include my
      label so that when I receive my copy, I know that others will have
      also received theirs. At the same time, I mail copies in envelopes,
      first class, to contributers, so those arrive quite a bit sooner than
      the bulk mailing.

      Probably more than you wanted to know about this, but what the hey,
      I'm snow (ice) bound today and the electricity is not out at the
      moment..

      Cheers!
      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
        I first saw this mentioned from yesterday in The Guardian International of all places. The best current version I can find comes from Prof. John Hawks' own weblog entry from today:

        http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration/accel_story_2007.html

        If you teach human evolution like me, you probably get at least one question per semester like this: "Are humans still evolving?" I've always said yes, but reasoned that our ability to adapt much faster culturally overrides many of our potential biological adaptations. I must confess I've found I've been a bit backward on this topic after reading about this research. My only "excuse" is that I'm really an archaeologist!

        Fascinating stuff, though. I'll be sharing it with future phys anth classes.

        Deborah

        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
        Anthropology
        Anoka-Ramsey Community College
        Coon Rapids Campus
        deborah.shepherd@...
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
        phone number: 763-433-1195

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
          Here's another weblog entry making direct reference to the paper (to be published in PNAS) which was the source of the Guardian article:

          http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration_embargo_ends_2007.html

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2007
            Dear SACC Members,

            It would be great if someone is interested in putting together a session
            on race at the SACC annual meeting in D.C. so that we can designate it
            "in honor of Len Lieberman." Here is the SACC website with the Call for
            Papers. http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/SACCFest2008/

            We had a productive SACC business meeting at the AAA meeting in D.C.
            Mary Gilliland and Maren Wilson offered to be co-presidents next year
            while Patricia Hamlin will take over Mary's secretary position for one
            year. Dennis Kellogg has agreed to be president for 2010 and George and
            Jo Raines Rodgers I think will be co-chairs in 2011. We are grateful
            that Laura Gonzales has taken over membership and doing such a fine,
            conscientious job. Thank you, Mark, for all your hard work over the
            years to increase membership and for your passion for education, this
            society, and its members.

            We applaud Rob Edwards for his very successful meeting in Monterey and
            for handling his role as president with such aplomb. Rob and his wife
            Julie also put together information for future presidents on organizing
            a meeting and what they learned from the experience. Dianne Chidester
            and Mel Johnson were helpful to Rob in putting this document together.
            Rob, can you send this to me on email and I will send it on to recent
            past presidents for their input as you suggested.

            Mary will have the minutes available soon as I know I have left out much
            information. If anyone else would like to run for president in 2009,
            please let me know as we will be putting together a ballot this spring.

            We have a great team and I look forward to serving you as president the
            coming year. Ann Kaupp

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 17, 2007
              Thank you , Ann. Yes, I would like to help put together a Panel or
              Round Table on Teaching Race and Racism in Anthropology, a 5 Field
              Approach...I know others like Tony Balzano, Cynthia Ninivaggi who have
              strong approaches to race and racism in their curriculum for
              anthropology, how about it? We do this in honor of Len Leiberman, who
              helped lead the AAA in forming a sound anthropological approach to race
              and the teaching of the concept as well as work and identify with SACC
              and community college teaching and learning. Let's collaborate and put
              together a session which will help provide the RACE project with some
              outstanding curricular models for other teachers to use as it travels
              around the country.