RE: [SACC-L] SACC Notes received?

  • Lynch, Brian M
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
      Lloyd,

      As of today I have received the single copy but not the bulk.

      Brian

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
        Brian,

        I'm guessing your copy has your address label on the outside back
        page and came without an envelope. That is the bulk mailing.
        Typically for each issue, I get a set of member/subscriber mailing
        labels from AAA and give them and the issues to the appropriate folks
        at the college and they take them to a bulk mailing service. The
        arrival date varies widely from issue to issue. I always include my
        label so that when I receive my copy, I know that others will have
        also received theirs. At the same time, I mail copies in envelopes,
        first class, to contributers, so those arrive quite a bit sooner than
        the bulk mailing.

        Probably more than you wanted to know about this, but what the hey,
        I'm snow (ice) bound today and the electricity is not out at the
        moment..

        Cheers!
        Lloyd

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
          I first saw this mentioned from yesterday in The Guardian International of all places. The best current version I can find comes from Prof. John Hawks' own weblog entry from today:

          http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration/accel_story_2007.html

          If you teach human evolution like me, you probably get at least one question per semester like this: "Are humans still evolving?" I've always said yes, but reasoned that our ability to adapt much faster culturally overrides many of our potential biological adaptations. I must confess I've found I've been a bit backward on this topic after reading about this research. My only "excuse" is that I'm really an archaeologist!

          Fascinating stuff, though. I'll be sharing it with future phys anth classes.

          Deborah

          Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
          Anthropology
          Anoka-Ramsey Community College
          Coon Rapids Campus
          deborah.shepherd@...
          http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
          http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
          phone number: 763-433-1195

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
            Here's another weblog entry making direct reference to the paper (to be published in PNAS) which was the source of the Guardian article:

            http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration_embargo_ends_2007.html

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2007
              Dear SACC Members,

              It would be great if someone is interested in putting together a session
              on race at the SACC annual meeting in D.C. so that we can designate it
              "in honor of Len Lieberman." Here is the SACC website with the Call for
              Papers. http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/SACCFest2008/

              We had a productive SACC business meeting at the AAA meeting in D.C.
              Mary Gilliland and Maren Wilson offered to be co-presidents next year
              while Patricia Hamlin will take over Mary's secretary position for one
              year. Dennis Kellogg has agreed to be president for 2010 and George and
              Jo Raines Rodgers I think will be co-chairs in 2011. We are grateful
              that Laura Gonzales has taken over membership and doing such a fine,
              conscientious job. Thank you, Mark, for all your hard work over the
              years to increase membership and for your passion for education, this
              society, and its members.

              We applaud Rob Edwards for his very successful meeting in Monterey and
              for handling his role as president with such aplomb. Rob and his wife
              Julie also put together information for future presidents on organizing
              a meeting and what they learned from the experience. Dianne Chidester
              and Mel Johnson were helpful to Rob in putting this document together.
              Rob, can you send this to me on email and I will send it on to recent
              past presidents for their input as you suggested.

              Mary will have the minutes available soon as I know I have left out much
              information. If anyone else would like to run for president in 2009,
              please let me know as we will be putting together a ballot this spring.

              We have a great team and I look forward to serving you as president the
              coming year. Ann Kaupp

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 17, 2007
                Thank you , Ann. Yes, I would like to help put together a Panel or
                Round Table on Teaching Race and Racism in Anthropology, a 5 Field
                Approach...I know others like Tony Balzano, Cynthia Ninivaggi who have
                strong approaches to race and racism in their curriculum for
                anthropology, how about it? We do this in honor of Len Leiberman, who
                helped lead the AAA in forming a sound anthropological approach to race
                and the teaching of the concept as well as work and identify with SACC
                and community college teaching and learning. Let's collaborate and put
                together a session which will help provide the RACE project with some
                outstanding curricular models for other teachers to use as it travels
                around the country.