Access key articles from the Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute today

  • Journal of the Royal Anthropological Asso
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2007
      The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
      Incorporating MAN

      Published on behalf of the Royal Anthropological Institute
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQF1YbnXIqHL4OPB

      Edited by Simon Coleman

      Following this year's theme at the American Anthropological Association conference of Difference, (In)equality & Justice, we are delighted to be able to offer you free access to the key articles below. Simply click on the links below to read the articles.

      'What else do we Bengalis do?' Sorcery, overseas migration, and the new inequalities in Sylhet, Bangladesh
      by Alyson Callan
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQFrcwjLwNYVP7Co

      'The poor have the right to be beautiful': cosmetic surgery in neoliberal Brazil
      by Alexander Edmonds
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQFQqRfzlbg6zqpb

      Managing memories in post-war Sarajevo: individuals, bad memories, and new wars
      by Cornelia Sorabji
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQGfFcbn9yxhjJbY

      Documented lives: fear and the uncertainties of law during the second Palestinian intifada
      by Tobias Kelly
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQGETx7aXVOs41YL

      The place of politics: powerful speech and women speakers in everyday Pa'ikwené (Palikur) life
      by Alan Passes
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQH47S2YMj5COkLy

      Shaping the Tourist's Gaze: Representing Ethnic Difference in a Nepali Village
      by Arjun Guneratne
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQHtmcYMAGmNyDyl

      Creating Difference: A Contemporary Affiliation Drama in the Highlands of New Guinea
      by Andrew Strathern & Pamela J. Stewart
      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQHSAxUAp3DYiWl8

      The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQIhOSQodqV93f7V) is the principal journal of the oldest anthropological organization in the world. It has attracted and inspired some of the world's greatest thinkers. International in scope, it presents accessible papers aimed at a broad anthropological readership. The Journal provides an important forum for 'anthropology as a whole', embracing social anthropology, archaeology, biological anthropology and the study of material culture. It is also acclaimed for its extensive book review section, and it publishes a bibliography of books received.

      The Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland (RAI) (http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQIH3dMc1OcjNxUI) is the world's longest-established scholarly association dedicated to the furtherance of anthropology (the study of humankind) in its broadest and most inclusive sense. The Institute is a non-profit-making registered charity and is entirely independent, with a Director and a small staff accountable to the Council, which in turn is elected annually from the Fellowship. It has a Royal Patron in the person of HRH The Duke of Gloucester KG, GCVO.

      Visit http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQJvvTDNEyKFi9ui to find out more about the Royal Anthropological Institute, including the new undergraduate rates for 2008. Visit http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQJUKezBsW1Q2sh5

      Please feel free to forward this on to your colleagues.

      Sign up for E-alerts to the Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute at http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQKjYzvphjj0ML3S

      Recommend Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute to your library at http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQKJcUrd5GAbx3QF

      http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQL8rfn0U3RmhmDs

      Announcing Wiley-Blackwell
      Blackwell Publishing was acquired by John Wiley & Sons in February 2007. Together, these two companies publish more than 1,400 scholarly peer-reviewed journals and an extensive collection of books with global appeal. Blackwell's publishing programme is being merged with Wiley's global Scientific, Technical and Medical business to form Wiley-Blackwell. Learn more about Wiley-Blackwell now at http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQLxFAiOIr8x1Fqf

      Visit our Help page at http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQMm8gaqlbGSwgZP to find information on ordering, shipping/returns, your account, journal subscriptions, mailing lists and RSS feeds. You may also visit our Contact Us page at http://wiley-blackwell.msgfocus.com/c/11BQMLmB6e9yY3gzMC to find a contact for additional assistance with a related product or service.

      John Wiley & Sons Ltd. | The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 8SQ, UK Tel: +44 (0)1243 779777 | Fax: +44 (0)1243 775878 | Registered Number: 641132 England

      Copyright © All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2007
        The SACC presence at this AAA conference was larger than I can remember and significant as the theme of diversity, inequality and justice fit well into our community college mission and current issues. We had an outstanding SACC Board and Business meeting in a room filled to overflowing with SACC-ers that reflected a great mix of silverback elders like me ending leadership roles, and the new improved leadership of young SACC talent such as Laura Gonzalez, already accomplishing much in her first year as SACC VP for Membership.

        As re-elected Chair of the AAA's Anthropology Education Committee, (AEC) I found that our community college voice is beginning to make real changes in our discipline's major national organization. I was asked directly to encourage nominations for AAA executive committee and other leadership positions to get the community college perspective into the decision-making process. The RACE exhbit, for example, already has reflected several efforts of ours as it travels around the country over the next few years. I will report on those details at our SACC meeting. The AEC has begun to make contact with our nation's anthropology education associations, and we hosted Simon Coleman and two other members of Britain's Royal Anthropology Institute in the AAA meeting. They want to know more about our community colleges as they view uscurrently as Continuing Education schools. I am next going to make contact with India's anthropology association and begin working around the globe, finding out what each nation's anthropology educators are doing with the concept of comprehensive community colleges with open access for higher education for mobility in our global tech world. As I collect this information on this and other academic and educational issues pertaining to SACC, we will be discussing these issues in a working group format. The newly elected AAA President, Setha Low from CUNY and I met along with Perry Gilmore of the CAE section which focuses on outreach to K-12 for anthropology, and James Coggeshill of Committee of Teaching Anthropology (COTA) which focuses on university anthropology education. We have agreed to collaborate by forming working groups in each of our educationally-oriented groups to communicate current thinking on educational issues from our various perspectives. We have already voted at the SACC meeting at AAA to form the SACC Working Group on Educational Issues which so are includes myself, Laura Gonzalez and Barry Kass. We will discuss this further at the SACC annual meeting in Washington DC in March, so let me know your thoughts then if not before. My goal will be to use the AEC as a collective voice for educational issues related to teaching and learning in the AAA so that they gain in priority in AAA policy and practice. The AAA executive committee has a history of giving top priority to research, research university political concerns, and low priority to education related to learning and teaching. With limited time and resources, AAA has rarely been able to get much done in this important area. My goal is to change that situation, partly with this new collaborative informal structure. Every national AEC phone conference (we have about one every two months) will have at least one voice from each of the three groups: SACC, CAE, COTA, and we will work toward consensus. More at the SACC meeting in DC- Remember, Chuck's buying a round at the bar to celebrate two of his kid's weddings! (unless they cancel his credit) - see you there! No excuses!