RE: [SACC-L] SACC Notes received?

  • Pam Ford
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007
      Lloyd,

      Thank you, I received my copy of SACC Notes and look forward to reading
      it.

      Thank you also for your description of the Iowa caucus process. I
      shared your latest report with our political science prof. who promptly
      shared with his class. Remember that we have no caucus in California
      and the report of a participant-observer is very interesting to us!

      Pam Ford

      Mt. San Jacinto College

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
        Lloyd,

        As of today I have received the single copy but not the bulk.

        Brian

        ________________________________

        By now, the bulk mailing of SACC Notes should have arrived to members
        and subscribers. If you did not receive yours and are not overdue in
        your renewal, please let me know and I'll send you one (please
        include a mailing address).

        Lloyd Miller

        -------
        NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
        in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
        sentto-126016-4226-1196979100-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
        oo.com

        If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
        need to add
        sentto-126016-4226-1196979100-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
        oo.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
        the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
        http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
          Brian,

          I'm guessing your copy has your address label on the outside back
          page and came without an envelope. That is the bulk mailing.
          Typically for each issue, I get a set of member/subscriber mailing
          labels from AAA and give them and the issues to the appropriate folks
          at the college and they take them to a bulk mailing service. The
          arrival date varies widely from issue to issue. I always include my
          label so that when I receive my copy, I know that others will have
          also received theirs. At the same time, I mail copies in envelopes,
          first class, to contributers, so those arrive quite a bit sooner than
          the bulk mailing.

          Probably more than you wanted to know about this, but what the hey,
          I'm snow (ice) bound today and the electricity is not out at the
          moment..

          Cheers!
          Lloyd

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
            I first saw this mentioned from yesterday in The Guardian International of all places. The best current version I can find comes from Prof. John Hawks' own weblog entry from today:

            http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration/accel_story_2007.html

            If you teach human evolution like me, you probably get at least one question per semester like this: "Are humans still evolving?" I've always said yes, but reasoned that our ability to adapt much faster culturally overrides many of our potential biological adaptations. I must confess I've found I've been a bit backward on this topic after reading about this research. My only "excuse" is that I'm really an archaeologist!

            Fascinating stuff, though. I'll be sharing it with future phys anth classes.

            Deborah

            Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
            Anthropology
            Anoka-Ramsey Community College
            Coon Rapids Campus
            deborah.shepherd@...
            http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
            http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
            phone number: 763-433-1195

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
              Here's another weblog entry making direct reference to the paper (to be published in PNAS) which was the source of the Guardian article:

              http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration_embargo_ends_2007.html

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2007
                Dear SACC Members,

                It would be great if someone is interested in putting together a session
                on race at the SACC annual meeting in D.C. so that we can designate it
                "in honor of Len Lieberman." Here is the SACC website with the Call for
                Papers. http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/SACCFest2008/

                We had a productive SACC business meeting at the AAA meeting in D.C.
                Mary Gilliland and Maren Wilson offered to be co-presidents next year
                while Patricia Hamlin will take over Mary's secretary position for one
                year. Dennis Kellogg has agreed to be president for 2010 and George and
                Jo Raines Rodgers I think will be co-chairs in 2011. We are grateful
                that Laura Gonzales has taken over membership and doing such a fine,
                conscientious job. Thank you, Mark, for all your hard work over the
                years to increase membership and for your passion for education, this
                society, and its members.

                We applaud Rob Edwards for his very successful meeting in Monterey and
                for handling his role as president with such aplomb. Rob and his wife
                Julie also put together information for future presidents on organizing
                a meeting and what they learned from the experience. Dianne Chidester
                and Mel Johnson were helpful to Rob in putting this document together.
                Rob, can you send this to me on email and I will send it on to recent
                past presidents for their input as you suggested.

                Mary will have the minutes available soon as I know I have left out much
                information. If anyone else would like to run for president in 2009,
                please let me know as we will be putting together a ballot this spring.

                We have a great team and I look forward to serving you as president the
                coming year. Ann Kaupp

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 17, 2007
                  Thank you , Ann. Yes, I would like to help put together a Panel or
                  Round Table on Teaching Race and Racism in Anthropology, a 5 Field
                  Approach...I know others like Tony Balzano, Cynthia Ninivaggi who have
                  strong approaches to race and racism in their curriculum for
                  anthropology, how about it? We do this in honor of Len Leiberman, who
                  helped lead the AAA in forming a sound anthropological approach to race
                  and the teaching of the concept as well as work and identify with SACC
                  and community college teaching and learning. Let's collaborate and put
                  together a session which will help provide the RACE project with some
                  outstanding curricular models for other teachers to use as it travels
                  around the country.