SACC Notes received?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007
      Dear Colleagues,

      By now, the bulk mailing of SACC Notes should have arrived to members
      and subscribers. If you did not receive yours and are not overdue in
      your renewal, please let me know and I'll send you one (please
      include a mailing address).

      Lloyd Miller
    • Pam Ford
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007
        Lloyd,

        Thank you, I received my copy of SACC Notes and look forward to reading
        it.

        Thank you also for your description of the Iowa caucus process. I
        shared your latest report with our political science prof. who promptly
        shared with his class. Remember that we have no caucus in California
        and the report of a participant-observer is very interesting to us!

        Pam Ford

        Mt. San Jacinto College

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
          Lloyd,

          As of today I have received the single copy but not the bulk.

          Brian

          ________________________________

          By now, the bulk mailing of SACC Notes should have arrived to members
          and subscribers. If you did not receive yours and are not overdue in
          your renewal, please let me know and I'll send you one (please
          include a mailing address).

          Lloyd Miller

          -------
          NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
          in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
          sentto-126016-4226-1196979100-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
          oo.com

          If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
          need to add
          sentto-126016-4226-1196979100-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
          oo.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
          the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
          http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2007
            Brian,

            I'm guessing your copy has your address label on the outside back
            page and came without an envelope. That is the bulk mailing.
            Typically for each issue, I get a set of member/subscriber mailing
            labels from AAA and give them and the issues to the appropriate folks
            at the college and they take them to a bulk mailing service. The
            arrival date varies widely from issue to issue. I always include my
            label so that when I receive my copy, I know that others will have
            also received theirs. At the same time, I mail copies in envelopes,
            first class, to contributers, so those arrive quite a bit sooner than
            the bulk mailing.

            Probably more than you wanted to know about this, but what the hey,
            I'm snow (ice) bound today and the electricity is not out at the
            moment..

            Cheers!
            Lloyd

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
              I first saw this mentioned from yesterday in The Guardian International of all places. The best current version I can find comes from Prof. John Hawks' own weblog entry from today:

              http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration/accel_story_2007.html

              If you teach human evolution like me, you probably get at least one question per semester like this: "Are humans still evolving?" I've always said yes, but reasoned that our ability to adapt much faster culturally overrides many of our potential biological adaptations. I must confess I've found I've been a bit backward on this topic after reading about this research. My only "excuse" is that I'm really an archaeologist!

              Fascinating stuff, though. I'll be sharing it with future phys anth classes.

              Deborah

              Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
              Anthropology
              Anoka-Ramsey Community College
              Coon Rapids Campus
              deborah.shepherd@...
              http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
              http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
              phone number: 763-433-1195

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2007
                Here's another weblog entry making direct reference to the paper (to be published in PNAS) which was the source of the Guardian article:

                http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/evolution/selection/acceleration_embargo_ends_2007.html

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2007
                  Dear SACC Members,

                  It would be great if someone is interested in putting together a session
                  on race at the SACC annual meeting in D.C. so that we can designate it
                  "in honor of Len Lieberman." Here is the SACC website with the Call for
                  Papers. http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/SACCFest2008/

                  We had a productive SACC business meeting at the AAA meeting in D.C.
                  Mary Gilliland and Maren Wilson offered to be co-presidents next year
                  while Patricia Hamlin will take over Mary's secretary position for one
                  year. Dennis Kellogg has agreed to be president for 2010 and George and
                  Jo Raines Rodgers I think will be co-chairs in 2011. We are grateful
                  that Laura Gonzales has taken over membership and doing such a fine,
                  conscientious job. Thank you, Mark, for all your hard work over the
                  years to increase membership and for your passion for education, this
                  society, and its members.

                  We applaud Rob Edwards for his very successful meeting in Monterey and
                  for handling his role as president with such aplomb. Rob and his wife
                  Julie also put together information for future presidents on organizing
                  a meeting and what they learned from the experience. Dianne Chidester
                  and Mel Johnson were helpful to Rob in putting this document together.
                  Rob, can you send this to me on email and I will send it on to recent
                  past presidents for their input as you suggested.

                  Mary will have the minutes available soon as I know I have left out much
                  information. If anyone else would like to run for president in 2009,
                  please let me know as we will be putting together a ballot this spring.

                  We have a great team and I look forward to serving you as president the
                  coming year. Ann Kaupp

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 17, 2007
                    Thank you , Ann. Yes, I would like to help put together a Panel or
                    Round Table on Teaching Race and Racism in Anthropology, a 5 Field
                    Approach...I know others like Tony Balzano, Cynthia Ninivaggi who have
                    strong approaches to race and racism in their curriculum for
                    anthropology, how about it? We do this in honor of Len Leiberman, who
                    helped lead the AAA in forming a sound anthropological approach to race
                    and the teaching of the concept as well as work and identify with SACC
                    and community college teaching and learning. Let's collaborate and put
                    together a session which will help provide the RACE project with some
                    outstanding curricular models for other teachers to use as it travels
                    around the country.