Re: [SACC-L] Etnographic Films & Videos

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
      I am looking for a particularly good video of urban neighborhood culture(s), urban occupational culture(s) that would work for a new class connection for next year that I am planning between my Urban Cultures class and a Film production class. Both classes need to view examples of good content and good technique. Anyone?
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        I think Ted Bestor did one of a neighborhood in Japan many years ago. I
        still sometimes use the old Colonel Sanders film The Colonel Comes to
        Japan in my classes when I talk about change. It does show a
        neighborhood and an occupation, though not in depth. There are some
        recent films about India dealing with prostitution, too.

        Ellen Johnson

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
          Mark, perhaps some of these sources will offer the kinds of films you
          are seeking. Ann

          The Pennsylvania State University

          Audio Visual Services

          Special Services Bldg.

          151 Standing Stone Lane

          University Park, PA 16802

          http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/

          Email: mtssmed@...

          (814) 865-6314; (800) 826-0132

          Films, videos, and DVDs.

          Insight Media

          2162 Broadway

          New York, NY 10024-0621

          http://www.insight-media.com <http://www.insight-media.com/>

          800-233-9910; 212-721-6316

          Fax: 212-799-5309

          DVDs, videos, and CD-ROMS on a variety of topics including anthropology
          and diversity studies.

          Phoenix Films and Videos

          2349 Chaffee Dr.

          http://www.phoenixlearninggroup.com
          <http://www.phoenixlearninggroup.com/>

          (800) 221-1274; (314) 569-0211

          Shenandoah Film Productions

          P.O. Box 6298

          Eureka, CA 95502

          http://www.shenandoahfilms.com <http://www.shenandoahfilms.com/>

          Email: shenfilm@...

          (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035

          Indian-owned enterprise and distributor of videos and DVDs from an
          Indian perspective.

          PBS Video

          1320 Braddock Place

          Alexandria, VA 22314-1698

          http://www.pbs.org <http://www.pbs.org/>

          (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269

          Facets Multi-Media, Inc.

          1571 West Fullerton Ave.

          Chicago, IL 60614

          http://www.facets.org/asticat

          (773) 281-9075

          Fax: (773) 929-5437

          Distributes international films including Asian, European, and Middle
          Eastern films.

          Movies Unlimited

          3015 Darnell Road

          Philadelphia, PA 19154