Etnographic Films & Videos

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
      We ave kicked around a number of books, but I wanted to get back to the
      films/videos.
      I guess I have a comment ,or question, as well - has anyone done an
      ethnographic film class? I have thought it would make a great 200 level class-
      hitting classics like 'Man of Aran" ( which is good, excellent for the time, but
      which students find interminable these days), the Marshall collection, "Dead
      Birds", "the Nuer", and a few more recent fine works like 'The Language You
      Cry In".
      Thoughts?
      Mike Pavlik

    • Carol Hayman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
        10 Canoes is new and excellent, Australian Aborigines, the making of it
        part is good too. The actors played a big role in directing the movie
        and casting. Actors had to be related in certain ways in order to be
        cast as relatives in the movie. For accuracy they referred to thousands
        of photos taken in the 1930's to get the cultural details, like the
        canoes, just right.

        --

        Carol Hayman
        Anthropology

      • Monica Bellas
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
          For anyone interested, the HTS has made page one in The Chronicle of Higher
          Education and pages 9-11 in The Chronicle Review. Can't wait to hear what
          the AAA committee says about this.
          Monica Bellas
          Cerritos College
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
            I am looking for a particularly good video of urban neighborhood culture(s), urban occupational culture(s) that would work for a new class connection for next year that I am planning between my Urban Cultures class and a Film production class. Both classes need to view examples of good content and good technique. Anyone?
            We ave kicked around a number of books, but I wanted to get back to the
            films/videos.
            I guess I have a comment ,or question, as well - has anyone done an
            ethnographic film class? I have thought it would make a great 200 level class-
            hitting classics like 'Man of Aran" ( which is good, excellent for the time, but
            which students find interminable these days), the Marshall collection, "Dead
            Birds", "the Nuer", and a few more recent fine works like 'The Language You
            Cry In".
            Thoughts?
            Mike Pavlik

          • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
              I think Ted Bestor did one of a neighborhood in Japan many years ago. I
              still sometimes use the old Colonel Sanders film The Colonel Comes to
              Japan in my classes when I talk about change. It does show a
              neighborhood and an occupation, though not in depth. There are some
              recent films about India dealing with prostitution, too.

              Ellen Johnson

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
                Mark, perhaps some of these sources will offer the kinds of films you
                are seeking. Ann

                The Pennsylvania State University

                Audio Visual Services

                Special Services Bldg.

                151 Standing Stone Lane

                University Park, PA 16802

                http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/

                Email: mtssmed@...

                (814) 865-6314; (800) 826-0132

                Films, videos, and DVDs.

                Insight Media

                2162 Broadway

                New York, NY 10024-0621

                http://www.insight-media.com <http://www.insight-media.com/>

                800-233-9910; 212-721-6316

                Fax: 212-799-5309

                DVDs, videos, and CD-ROMS on a variety of topics including anthropology
                and diversity studies.

                Phoenix Films and Videos

                2349 Chaffee Dr.

                http://www.phoenixlearninggroup.com
                <http://www.phoenixlearninggroup.com/>

                (800) 221-1274; (314) 569-0211

                Shenandoah Film Productions

                P.O. Box 6298

                Eureka, CA 95502

                http://www.shenandoahfilms.com <http://www.shenandoahfilms.com/>

                Email: shenfilm@...

                (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035

                Indian-owned enterprise and distributor of videos and DVDs from an
                Indian perspective.

                PBS Video

                1320 Braddock Place

                Alexandria, VA 22314-1698

                http://www.pbs.org <http://www.pbs.org/>

                (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269

                Facets Multi-Media, Inc.

                1571 West Fullerton Ave.

                Chicago, IL 60614

                http://www.facets.org/asticat

                (773) 281-9075

                Fax: (773) 929-5437

                Distributes international films including Asian, European, and Middle
                Eastern films.

                Movies Unlimited

                3015 Darnell Road

                Philadelphia, PA 19154