2008 Annual Meeting Reminder

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2007
      This is a reminder to register for our annual meeting in Washington,
      D.C. (March 14 to March 18) that will take place at the Holiday Inn
      Central at Rhode Island Ave. and 15th Street (202-483-2000). The room
      rate is $169.00 plus tax, an excellent price for this area. Reservations
      must be made by Wednesday, February 14, 2008 by 3 p.m. to receive the
      special room rate. A few rooms are being held at the same rate for those
      who might wish to arrive a day early. Registration fee will be $250.00.

      We will have a board meeting Friday afternoon followed by a reception.
      Paper sessions are on Saturday and Sunday when we will also take time
      for a Washington After Dark bus tour to visit and view some of the major
      city sites. On Sunday, Smithsonian historian Pam Henson will regale us
      with stories about early and colorful Smithsonian anthropologists,
      whetting our appetite for our next day's fieldtrip to the Smithsonian.

      On Monday morning we will visit the National Museum of the American
      Indian where Curator Dr. Gabrielle Tayac (Piscataway) will talk about
      Indians of the Chesapeake Bay area and provide an overview of the
      museum's exhibits, which we will tour on our own. After lunch at the
      museum, we will visit the Department of Anthropology at the National
      Museum of Natural History and hear a presentation by Dr. Dennis
      Stanford, head of the Archaeology Division and director of the
      Paleo-Indian Program, on an alternative view on the peopling of the
      Americas. His talk will be followed by Dr. Doug Owsley, head of the
      Physical Anthropology Division, who will present his research on
      bioarchaeological perspectives on 17th century life in Jamestown. (Doug
      Owsley is preparing a new exhibit, Written in Bone, which will be
      opening fall 2008.) SACC members will have the opportunity to explore
      museums and sites on their own for the rest of the day.

      Attached are the advanced meeting registration form and the call for
      paper presentations.

      Visit the SACC website at http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/ for
      up-to-date meeting information. Also, we are still seeking member
      profiles for the SACC website
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/members.htm Please send your profile
      to kauppa@...

      If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at
      kauppa@.... Ann