Re: [SACC-L] FW: Mercenary Anthropology

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2007
      I've contacted the AAA with the question, what steps does the AAA plan to take on this question, and also, what existing ethics policy might cover it? The following response may be of interest to some of you: "At present, the majority of AAA work in this area is being done by the AAA Commission on the Engagement of Anthropology with the US Security and Intelligence Communities. Information regarding the commission is available online here: http://www.aaanet.org/committees/commissions/CEAUSSIC/. The commission will be delivering its final report to the executive board at the upcoming annual meeting, at which point the board will discuss future action (e.g. developing statements, distributing the report, etc.)"

      As for existing policy and statements, the AAA wrote, "We do have a few statements that relate in some ways to the concerns raised recently:
      1) Code of Ethics of the American Anthropological Association: http://www.aaanet.org/committees/ethics/ethcode.htm
      2) Declaration on Anthropology and Human Rights Committee for Human Rights American Anthropological Association: http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/humanrts.htm
      3) 2006 AAA Business Meeting Resolution on the U.S. Occupation of Iraq: http://www.aaanet.org/press/AAA_Bus_Res_1.htm
      4) 2006 AAA Business Meeting Resolution on Torture: http://www.aaanet.org/press/AAA_Bus_Res_2.htm
      5) The AAA supports the Iraq Cultural Heritage Protection Act (H.R. 2009): http://www.aaanet.org/gvt/ichp_blurb.htm
      6) AAA President's Statement on Looting: http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/pres_stmt_looting.htm

      If anyone wants to know the name of the person with whom I've corresponded, please email me directly. I've withheld the name in this message because this is a public-access listserv.
      Deborah