pirate talk

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2007
      Avast!

      Tommorrow (Sept 19th) be International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

      If ye be so inclined, include some pirate references in your classes or
      daily speak.

      I, for example, will be speaking a bit in my archaeology classes about
      reconstructing pirate culture from shipwrecks. If I was teaching
      cultural anthropology I would consider devoting some class time to
      pirate vocabulary and pirate culture. If I was teaching a physical
      anthropology course this day I might consider how to determine a pirate
      from bones.

      One word of advice....try to avoid using 'booty' in your class. It has
      a specific, non-pirate connotation among the younger set.

      Yet another word....try to avoid using the word 'wench' unless you know
      the person really, really well.

      For further research, a good place to begin is the international talk
      like a pirate web site www.talklikeapirate.com., or just google.

      Even if you don't want to participate, be nice to the bilge rats,
      scallywags, and scurvy dogs you may come across in your classroom or
      administrators offices.

      And when the day winds down, consider having a swill of grog.

      Arrr.

      Bob
      (who, on Sept 19th each year, prefers to be addressed as Dreaded Pirate
      Flint Roberts)