2007 AAA Annual Meeting, 5 Field Update Time and Place

  • Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2007
      Colleagues:

      I wanted to let you know the time and place of our forthcoming session at the 2007 AAA Annual Meetings. We are session ID # 3296, entitled "Current Issues in Anthropology: Five Field Update. " We are meeting on Friday, November 30th from 1:45 pm to 3:30 pm in Marriott Ballroom Salon 1.

      Each of you will have approximately 15 or so minutes and we will save the last time questions and discussion. For those who can, SACC would like to invite you for dinner that evening as our guest. Other SACC officers and members are welcome to join us. We will decide where/when to go after our session.

      For our session, please give Lloyd Miller a paper which we can publish. I have included some guidelines from and the address for our newsletter editor, Lloyd Miller:

      Publishing Guidelines for: Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes

      · Approximately 2000 to 4000 words. If your paper needs to be longer, we will try to include it all if space is available.

      · Style: clear language with a minimum of jargon, writing that is comprehensible to educated lay people, like the kinds of articles commonly anthologized in such readers as Annual Editions. Some of our readers like to duplicate SACC papers for their students in introductory level anthropology courses.

      · Submission: as a Microsoft Word document in an e-mail attachment or on a CD by snail mail (Lloyd Miller, 650 48th St., Des Moines, IA 50312), hard copy optional.

      Clear black & white line drawings or graphics are acceptable. Please send hard copies of them in case they need to be scanned. Unfortunately, we cannot print photographs.

      Here are Lloyd's wise words about presentations he sent to one of our panelists at their request. Use the best style that works for you, keeping your audience interested and wanting more. "Were I doing it, I'd prepare a summary or abridged version of the written paper to deliver in 15 minutes or less. The most common mistake I've observed people make is to start out reading their written version, then when they realize they can't finish it all, they speed up, skip around, get flustered, sweaty and generally upset. (I've done this before!)