Re: SPAM: Re: [SACC-L] Facebook, MySpace, and social class

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Ironically, today I received a message from a former student requesting to add me to her Facebook page. That's a first-time experience for me. I shall have to investigate. I know very little about these sites except that they can pose privacy risks to the kids.
      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      email: deborah.shepherd@...
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
      new phone number: 763-433-1195
      >>> <anthropmor@...> 07/31/07 9:20 PM >>>
      Well, the first thing that springs to mind is qualitative vs quantitative...
      Mike Pavlik

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        One of our Deans asked me to look at the link below and see if I can do
        something similar here. I've been having students do ethnographic
        observations on e-mail lists and chat rooms and other text-based
        e-communities for a few years now. Check it out, it is a neat project.

        http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/

        You Tube is more anarchic and caters more heavily to the musical folks

        Face book is a bit more structured in that there are groups and forums
        that can be set up. It also requires that folks use their
        College/University or workplace e-mail addresses. This puts in a
        built-in mechanism for discouraging spam, stalking etc. Your boss will
        hear from the site administrators if you are misbehaving with the
        company/institution e-mail server. This is probably where the class
        bias in the original link comes from, if it is actually there.

        I agree that "unscientific" is probably actually qualitative, but I
        would hope that there is some quantitative analysis going into the
        description of a class bias in these groups. The equipment is
        relatively cheap and available in a lot of library and school labs.
        These sites have a large number of subscribers and a wide range of
        variation. I'm not denying that there is a class bias, but I would be
        reluctant to trust a gut impression even when looking at the folks who
        post let alone those who lurk.

        Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

        CCC Metro TLC

        216-987-3584

        FAX:330-867-6375

        ________________________________

        Ironically, today I received a message from a former student requesting
        to add me to her Facebook page. That's a first-time experience for me. I
        shall have to investigate. I know very little about these sites except
        that they can pose privacy risks to the kids.
        Deborah

        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
        Anthropology
        Anoka-Ramsey Community College
        Coon Rapids Campus
        email: deborah.shepherd@...
        <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu>
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
        <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/>
        new phone number: 763-433-1195
        >>> <anthropmor@... <mailto:anthropmor%40AOL.COM> > 07/31/07 9:20 PM

        Well, the first thing that springs to mind is qualitative vs
        quantitative...
        Mike Pavlik

      • Lynch, Brian M
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          I just had a conversation with my son (26 yrs old) about Facebook, MySpace, Flickr (Web 2.0 stuff in general). We were noting how, in many places (news commentaries, school meetings, parent conversations etc.) when these are discussed it is in terms of their risks and dangers. So for example, if in their classes our students hear about MySpace, it is in terms like: "Be careful! Future employers can use things you post to judge you.." rather than creative explorations about how such environments and tools can be or are being used in social communication (personal and professional, text and multi-media).

          We are in the midst of an interesting culture change, and the "adult world" isn't quite sure of what to make of it. When I think of this it brings to mind possible conversations during the era when people were first beginning to explore the oceans beyond their initial home ports. "There are sea serpants out there!!"

          I would encourage the curious to visit NING (www.ning.com) and myspace and facebook etc. and step inside if you haven't. (A bit of "particpant observation"? ...suspension of judgement... practice of cultural relativism...)

          ning has a "community" called classroom 2.0, another called school 2.0, and one that I have been involved in before it was an ning community, called the "World Association for Online Education." You can even create your own space ("community") and explore inside it. Good stuff...

          Brian

          ________________________________

          http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/ <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/>

          NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown in the headers. The real sender of this message is: sentto-126016-1452-1185990324-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...

          If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would need to add sentto-126016-1452-1185990324-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@... to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item: http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
            Speaking of Dragons hiding in places that adults are still trying to
            wrap their brains around, I keep a copy of this to show folks with a
            case of future shock that there is nothing new under the sun:

            ABC's overnight news show, World News Now, has a recurring

            segment called "World News Then", where they air pieces of ABC

            News broadcasts as they covered various important events of the

            past. Last night being April 1st, they decided that instead of

            running a piece from a few decades ago, it would be more

            interesting to go back a few millennia. One of the stories they

            rebroadcast was the following report from 2400 BC:

            "Egypt's emerging papyrus technology continues to alarm parents

            and law enforcement. A new bill introduced today would let the

            government regulate material found on papyrus. Legislators said

            paperspace, as it is known to so-called 'writers,' is becoming a

            haven for monotheists, con artists and worse hoping to prey on

            the young and gullible. A little bit later in this broadcast we

            will have some tips on how to shield your children from offensive

            and dangerous material found on the dangerous papyrus."

            Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

            CCC Metro TLC

            216-987-3584

            FAX:330-867-6375