Update on SACC Annual Meeting

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 10:20 AM
      Dear SACC Members and Interested Others,

      The 2008 SACC Annual Meeting will be in Washington, D.C., Friday, March
      14 to Tuesday, March 18, 2008.

      Holiday Inn Central at Rhode Island Ave. and 15th Street (202-483-2000),
      a few blocks from the White House to the south and Dupont Circle to the
      west. Holding it over a weekend, we received preferable room rates at
      $169 plus tax. A few rooms are being held at the same rate for those
      who might wish to arrive a day early.

      Paper sessions will take place on Saturday and Sunday when we will also
      take time for a Washington After Dark bus tour to visit and view some of
      the major city sites. On Sunday, the Smithsonian historian will regale
      us with stories about early and colorful Smithsonian anthropologists,
      whetting our appetite for our next day's fieldtrip to the Smithsonian.

      On Monday morning we will visit the National Museum of the American
      Indian where Curator Dr. Gloria Tayac (Piscataway) will talk about
      Indians of the Chesapeake Bay area and provide an overview of the
      museum's exhibits, which we will tour on our own. After lunch we will
      visit the Department of Anthropology at the National Museum of Natural
      History and hear a presentation by archaeologist Dr. Dennis Stanford on
      an alternative view on the peopling of the Americas. His talk will be
      followed by physical anthropologist Dr. Doug Owsley who will present his
      research on bioarchaeological perspectives on 17th century life in
      Jamestown. SACC members will have the opportunity to explore museums and
      sites on their own for the rest of the day.

      This meeting will be in honor of former SACC president Leonard Lieberman
      who passed away this year and whose friendship and scholarship will be
      greatly missed. Ann

      P. Ann Kaupp, Head

      Anthropology Outreach Office

      Smithsonian Institution