Monthly Status reports for AnthroSource

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2007
      I forgot that attachments do not always go through on the listserve so I
      am incorporating them into this email. Enjoy the read. Mel Johnson,
      SACC Treasurer

      First the April Report

      June 28, 2007

      Publication Editors

      AAA Staff, Executive Board, Section Treasurers, Section Presidents,
      Finance Committee

      Dion Dears

      AnthroSource Report April 2007

      <>

      Purpose: This monthly status report is to advise AAA parties of the
      recent AnthroSource activities and issues.
      <>Frequency: The report is distributed once monthly.

      <>Ownership: AAA Publishing Department prepares and distributes the
      report. Any suggestions, questions or corrections should be sent to Dion
      Dears (ddears@...).
      <>
      <>

      Table of Contents

      <>
      Sales & Marketing Update April 2007. 2 <#_Toc168812614>

      Content & Functionality Update. 3 <#_Toc168812615>

      Technology & Operations Update. 3 <#_Toc168812616>

      Policies & Organizational Update. 3 <#_Toc168812617>

      Sales & Marketing Update April 2007

      In February, we signed up 8 new customers. We can only report on actual
      revenues earned through the current month. The earned revenue
      year-to-date (YTD) is $98,147. This is slightly ahead of budget. Our
      full year 2007 institutional subscription revenue target is $317,319.
      The target number of institutional subscribers at the end of the year is
      397. We currently have 334 subscribers (we ended 2006 with 283).

      Table 1

      APRIL

      units #

      revenue

      revenue

      revenue

      units #

      units #

      Customer Type

      Subscribers through April

      Revenue through April

      Full Year Revenue Target $

      Current Revenue as % of Target

      Full Year Subscriber Target #

      Current Subscribers as % of Target

      Tier 1

      221

      $ 74,324

      $232,514

      32%

      252

      88%

      Tier 2

      96

      $ 22,036

      $79,844

      28%

      127

      76%

      Tier 3

      17

      $ 1,787

      $4,962

      36%

      18

      94%

      Total

      334

      $98,147

      $317,319

      31%

      397

      88%

      Source: UCP Marketing & Circulation/ AAA Publishing Department[1] <#_ftn1>

      In order to achieve our financial objectives for 2007, we projected that
      we will need an average of 10 new customers every month in 2007. This is
      a 25 per cent increase in required new customers per month from last
      year. In 2006, we signed up, on average, 8 new customers per month.
      Table 2 below shows our average number of new customers in 2006, our
      average number of new customers needed in 2007, and our progress so far.
      The first and last quarters of the year are generally the most active
      months. In the summer months, we see often far less new customers
      signing on.

      Table 2 - New AS Subscribers per Month versus Target (monthly average) &
      2006 (monthly average)

      Source: UCP Marketing & Circulation/ AAA Publishing Department

      Content & Functionality Update

      No updates

      Technology & Operations Update

      Print-on-Demand

      The Publications Department is working on print-on-demand solutions for
      AAA publications. The objective is to have a solution in place, through
      an external partnership, to allow:

      1. Short-run printing of out-of-print materials;

      2. Compiling materials from back content and print as new
      book/publication; and/or

      3. Reduce printing costs and offer members e-only access to
      journals with the option of print.

      We met with various vendors and are refining our requirements as no "off
      the shelf" solution is available.

      Policies & Organizational Update

      Publishing Contract

      Throughout the month of April, AAA staff and AAA leadership finalized
      the "request for proposal" (RFP) document for our publishing program. We
      selected and distributed the request to the following publishers:

      § CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS

      § OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS (OUP)

      § SAGE

      § SPRINGER

      § TAYLOR & FRANCIS (INFORMA HEALTHCARE)

      § UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO PRESS

      § UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA PRESS

      § JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY PRESS

      § JOHN WILEY & SONS

      [1] <#_ftnref1> The distribution of the revenue over the tiers is
      estimated based on average price point and the number of subscribers per
      tier.

      Now the May report.

      June 28, 2007

      Publication Editors

      AAA Staff, Executive Board, Section Treasurers, Section Presidents,
      Finance Committee

      Dion Dears

      AnthroSource Report May 2007

      Purpose: This monthly status report is to advise AAA parties of the
      recent AnthroSource activities and issues.

      Frequency: The report is distributed once monthly.

      Ownership: AAA Publishing Department prepares and distributes the
      report. Any suggestions, questions or corrections should be sent to the
      Dion Dears (ddears@...).

      Table of Contents

      Sales & Marketing Update May 2007. 2 <#_Toc168813231>

      Content & Functionality Update. 3 <#_Toc168813232>

      Technology & Operations Update. 3 <#_Toc168813233>

      Policies & Organizational Update. 3 <#_Toc168813234>

      Sales & Marketing Update May 2007

      In February, we signed up 14 new customers. We can only report on actual
      revenues earned through the current month. The earned revenue
      year-to-date (YTD) is $126,651. This is still ahead of budget. Our full
      year 2007 institutional subscription revenue target is $317,319. The
      target number of institutional subscribers at the end of the year is
      397. We ended 2006 with 283 subscribers.

      We also signed up six Tier 4 institutions in May. These are not
      reflected in the table below.

      Table 1

      MAY

      units #

      revenue

      revenue

      revenue

      units #

      units #

      Customer Type

      Subscribers through May

      Revenue through May

      Full Year Revenue Target $

      Current Revenue as % of Target

      Full Year Subscriber Target #

      Current Subscribers as % of Target

      Tier 1

      233

      $ 96,924

      $232,514

      42%

      252

      92%

      Tier 2

      96

      $ 27,256

      $79,844

      34%

      127

      76%

      Tier 3

      19

      $ 2,471

      $4,962

      50%

      18

      106%

      Total

      348

      $126,651

      $317,319

      40%

[...]

      With the previously set objectives in mind, the AAA Publications
      Department identified a leading vendor to fulfill our print-on-demand
      needs. We have schedule a meeting/presentation with the vendor to get a
      better picture the technology and solutions offered. Further details
      will follow after the meeting is held.

      We welcome suggestions or ideas on this topic.

      Policies & Organizational Update

      Publishing Contract

      Throughout the month of May, AAA publications staff answered various
      questions and inquiries from the publisher who received the RFP
      document. We subsequently received proposals from the following
      publishers:

      § SAGE

      § SPRINGER

      § TAYLOR & FRANCIS (INFORMA HEALTHCARE)

      § UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO PRESS

      § UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA PRESS

      § JOHN WILEY & SONS

      Following thorough evaluation of the proposals received, finalists will
      be chosen and invited give presentations in the AAA office.

      CFPEP Allocations Committee

      The newly created Allocations Subcommittee, chaired by Lee Baker (ABA)
      held extensive discussions on the current AS revenue and expense
      allocation models and agreed to recommend to the Committee on the Future
      of Print and Electronic Publishing (CFPEP) that the current 2007 revenue
      allocation model by extended for 2008, with further review pending. The
      expense allocation model will also be recommended for extension with an
      adjustment to the allocation of the UCP management and admin fee and the
      online operating costs from the current 41/59 split between the AAA and
      the Sections to an equal 50/50 split between the AAA and the Sections.
      These recommendations will be made the AAA Executive Board at their June
      2007 meeting.