Re: [SACC-L] Spurious "I am not a scientist but play one for my PhD"?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
      Yes, this is indeed interesting. At first I imagined, with Brian,
      that the U of RI must have been really unhappy with Ross. However,
      his dissertation advisor Fastovsky persuaded me that we cannot (and
      should not) ultimately control our students' beliefs. Our job is to
      teach them our science and evaluate how well they've learned it. So
      I agree with Deborah that Ross was not academically dishonest.

      I've had a few similar experiences like this. One young man, a
      Mormon, in my Peoples & Cultures of Mexico course, was exceptionally
      bright, genuinely curious and interested in the course material, and
      also quite amiable. We liked each other and he stopped by often to
      chat about the course, anthropology and life in general. As I
      discussed the various anthropological theories about peopling the New
      World and origins and evolution of indigenous Mexican peoples, he
      would tell me (privately, never in class) of Mormon beliefs (that
      they were the lost tribes of Israel, etc.) and admitted that his
      beliefs were not at all shaken by anthropological knowledge.

      Yet, as with Ross, his written exams and papers were impeccable. He
      had the science, ethnography and history down cold and was one of the
      top students in the class. I had real difficulty accepting that he
      could write anthropology so well and not believe a word of it.
      Nonetheless, at semester's end I could only grant him the A grade he
      earned. The day after final exams were over, I found on my office
      desk a copy of the Book of Mormon with a note from him, thanking me
      for the course and expressing sincere hope that the Book might
      someday guide me to achieve the enlightenment that he so richly enjoyed.

      For most of my adult life I've held on to the belief that no truly
      intelligent person could remain unaffected or unchanged in the face
      of empirical knowledge and science. Such a belief might indeed be
      what keeps many of us afloat in the teaching profession. However,
      some years and distance from the classroom have made me less certain...

      Lloyd