Want Suggestions for Books for Two Anthro Courses: Globalizations and Anthropology of Islam

  • Chuck Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2007
      Colleagues

      I am teaching two course in the Fall that I have never taught before. They are Anthro362/Globalization and Anthro 370/Anthropology of Islam.

      Any ideas about books would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at Globalization: Opposing Viewpoints (Greenhaven Press) as a possible discussion book. Has anyone used either of these two Thomas Friedman books in globalization courses? The Lexus and the Olive Tree or The World is Flat? I am thinking of using Ethnographies in the Islam class. Does anyone have any suggestions of ones that are readable and interesting? Up to now, I have taught Islam courses in the Religion Department and I use the Qur'an and a religious studies text, but that would not work for an Anthro class.

      Thanks for the help.

      Chuck ><>
      Charles O. Ellenbaum
      707 Shady Avenue
      Geneva, IL 60134 USA
      Cell: 630-404-1261
      Home: 630-262-1281
      >ellenbaumbridge@...<
      De Colores and Ultreya

      "Celebrate your life every moment that you have. No event in life is too small to celebrate. Live fully. Love and laugh wastefully. Take pleasure in the little things. Play and roll on your back in the park. Forgive even if you cannot forget, grudges only make you an unhappy being. Don't bite when a growl will do. Make every day of your life a dance, even when death is your final partner." Scooter's Philosophy of Life (1987-2006) (You are loved and missed.)