FW: Book Announcement: "How Real is Race: A Sourcebook on Race, Culture and Biology"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2007
      FYI

      Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

      CCC Metro TLC

      216-987-3584

      FAX:707-924-2471

      ________________________________

      From: JENNY BANH [mailto:jenbanh@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:40 AM
      To: Popplestone, Ann; Vijay.Prashad@...; debreese@...;
      martinr@...; RenF@...; wayne.ross@...;
      Grodgers@...; ROBERG@...
      Subject: Book Announcement: "How Real is Race: A Sourcebook on Race,
      Culture and Biology"

      Dear Colleague,

      As someone, like us, with a long-standing focus on issues of race and
      ethnicity, we thought you'd be interested in a book we recently
      published. Indeed, we have drawn upon and benefited immensely from the
      research you and your colleagues have done in this area.

      "How Real is Race: A Sourcebook on Race, Culture and Biology"
      brings together biological and cultural information to help people make
      sense of the contradictory messages about race in the U.S. and
      elsewhere
      in the world. This book explores such issues as why contemporary races
      are not scientifically valid; alternative explanations of human
      biological variation; how culture creates race; social inequality and
      race;
      race-mating-dating; and race cross-culturally.

      In addition, the book includes several levels of applications,
      illustrative activities, and resources, for both students and teachers
      (faculty). We include an entire section on how race plays out in
      educational
      settings, from the academic achievement gap, to the use of racial
      slurs, to interracial dating.

      We believe this book is unique in that it synthesizes and integrates
      biological and cultural anthropological approaches to race within an
      historical, cross-cultural and educational context. We also use
      accessible language to unpack such complex notions as "race is a
      social
      construction" and "race is not biologically real." We feel it is
      an
      excellent background resource for educators and students alike.