RE: [SACC-L] Leonard Lieberman

  • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
      Len will be greatly missed. He was definitely "one of us". I loved his
      sense of humor and his smile!

      Ellen Johnson

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
        What is the deadline for submitting sessions to AAA? Have we a SACC
        session set for the next AAA? - Ellen

        ________________________________

        From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
        Behalf
        Of Mark Lewine
        Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:43 PM
        To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

        I would like to add to Phil's good words about the loss of Len, a quiet,
        serious man who made such a strong impact on SACC, AAA, contemporary
        thinking and teaching about race. I will never forget his leadership in
        organizing and chairing one of AAA's most outstanding sessions on Race
        with Loring Brace and many other of the most outstanding scholars in the
        field, including himself. HIs teaching unit on Race was highlighted by
        many as one of the best sources for new faculty. As we build on Ann
        Kaup's initial work on building teaching sources for new faculty in
        anthropology and related disciplines, I will make certain that Len's
        contributions are kept and used as part of the core of the planned
        Anthropology Educational Outreach Center. I know that he would like that
        very much.
        It was with a great deal of sadness that I opened the current issue of
        Anthropology News that arrived today and learned of the passing of
        Leonard Lieberman. Len was a active member of SACC and served as our
        president. He did not teach in a community college, but at Central
        Michigan University, and to date is our only president to come from the
        ranks of the four-year universities.

        One complaint I hear a great deal is how community college instructors
        feel disconnected at national meetings, where attendees posture and show
        off their latest research. For them, teaching takes a back seat. But Len
        knew the importance of teaching and the importance role played by the
        community colleges. Many of his publications dealt with teaching issues
        such as teaching the concept of race.

        He will be greatly missed.

        Phil

        reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. This mail
        message has been scanned for virus and malware and is free of such to
        the best of this sending sites ability and knowledge.

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
          I AM SO SORRY to hear this. I was just talking with Mel Johnson about
          Len yesterday while Mel was here visiting DC. What a loss to the
          profession and to all his friends and acquaintances he touched. I am
          every so grateful of his organizing the Oaxaca meeting, my first trip to
          Mexico, which left a lasting impression. He seemed to me a modest and
          gentle man. Ann

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
            What a nice idea, Dianne.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
              From my previous email:

              The 2007 annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association will be
              held in Washington, DC (November 28-December 2, 2007). The theme of this
              year's meeting is "Difference, (In)equality, & Justice" (see below) . The
              submission deadline for panels, papers, and posters is March 30th at 5 pm
              EST. Paper/panel proposals should be submitted online through the AAA
              website (go to: <http://www.aaanet.org/> http://www.aaanet.org/).

              SACC gets two invited sessions, with one always dedicated to the Five Fields
              Update. If you are considering organizing another session and want it to be
              considered for invited status, or just to be reviewed by SACC, let me know
              as soon as possible.

              --Becky

              From: SACC-L@yahoogroups. <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> com

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                Great idea, but I want to make it more lasting; I would like to work with other SACCers to create from Len's work and with others adding to it, a curricular resource for teaching Race and Diversity at the community college and have it available for the Race Project source bank and for our Anthropology Education Committee web site with source material. In both places it could be dedicated to his memory, and i would like to propose this at our Board meeting.

[...]

                This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. This mail message has been scanned for virus and malware and is free of such to the best of this sending sites ability and knowledge.

              • Chuck Ellenbaum
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                  I share the sadness about Len. he was a kind man with a good heart who had a good sense of humor, a twinkle in his eye, and infinite patience. He was passionate about his work and did not soft-pedal his conclusions. This humane man will be sorely missed.

                  Chuck ><>
                  Charles O. Ellenbaum
                  707 Shady Avenue
                  Geneva, IL 60134 USA
                  Cell: 630-404-1261
                  Home: 630-262-1281
                  >ellenbaumbridge@...<
                  De Colores and Ultreya

                  "Celebrate your life every moment that you have. No event in life is too small to celebrate. Live fully. Love and laugh wastefully. Take pleasure in the little things. Play and roll on your back in the park. Forgive even if you cannot forget, grudges only make you an unhappy being. Don't bite when a growl will do. Make every day of your life a dance, even when death is your final partner." Scooter's Philosophy of Life (1987-2006) (You are loved and missed.)

                • Rebecca Cramer
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 17, 2007
                    I have a wonderful memory of dinner in Oaxaca with Len and Lloyd back in '01. We had all arrived a couple of days early and went to a restaurant that sat above the Zocalo on a moonlit Monday night. Len regaled us with stories of his career and research, and he taught me much about mole. I remember learning more from him over that one meal than in all the seminars I attended in grad school.
                    Could someone send the link for his memorial article?
                    Beca

                    ==============
                    Rebecca Cramer
                    missiontosonora@...
                    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rcramer/
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 17, 2007
                      I join you all in mourning Leonard's passing. What a bummer that
                      this wise, gentle and eminently competent teacher and scholar has
                      left us so soon. He seemed eternally youthful. We at SACC will miss
                      his friendship, leadership and inspiration and the world of
                      anthropology in general will miss the enlightenment he provided in
                      his specialty and passion�the anthropology of race. When teaching
                      about race in my classes, I often wished that Leonard were there,
                      fielding student questions in his patient, inspiring and ever-
                      respectful manner.

                      I agree that it would be nice to do something in his honor and memory
                      at a future conference.

                      Lloyd

                    • Dianne Chidester
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 19, 2007
                        Maybe we could present his work in his honor? I'm not sure if that's
                        the kind of thing that's done. -- Dianne

                        ________________________________

                      • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 20, 2007
                          Hello all SACC Folk, I join you in sorrow about losing Len Leiberman. We
                          enjoyed several dinners togeather in the early SACC days. Can you imagine
                          gentle Len as a GI Joe in WWII, carrying a bazoka thru Europe? I first can
                          across an article he wrote in Phylon, Summer 1968 while doing my dissertation.
                          Those were the days when the argument was between "lumpers and splitters." I
                          can give you copies of many of his articles for the collection that was
                          mentioned in our tribute to his works.. While we want to give him homage, I hope
                          that we can let his daughter know what we are doing and just how much we
                          respected him as a scholar and lovely person.. I don"t remember if he had a son.
                          I wish I had made the trip to Oaxaca in 01 but I just lost Therese and was
                          not in a mood to travel.

                          I think I should make one correction for the record. If Mark is talking
                          about a session with C. Loring Brace, Len, Paul Erickson, Wenda Trevathan, and
                          Montegue Cobb of Howard, the year was 1988, Something about "Informing the
                          Public About Race" and I was the convener for that one. I always thought of
                          it as my highlight in SACC.

                          At least it is rewarding to know that SACC has lasted enough years that the
                          old folks are in the history books. Bill Byrne

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 23, 2007
                              Hi Mark, I can't make it to California this year but I will mail what I
                              have of Lenn's work to whomever you say. Just give me an address and it will go
                              out the next day. I have also found a teaching exeercies That I did that
                              was published in an Indian publication. maybe you can use that in the
                              display that is making the rounds also. Bill Byrne