Re: [SACC-L] Leonard Lieberman

  • anthony balzano
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
      Phil, Thank You for the initial e-mail about Len Lieberman. i was also
      stunned to read his obit in the AN. I had the opportunity to briefly
      chat with Len San Jose. He was presenting and attending sessions with
      great enthusiasm. I remember that Len stepped into SACC at a time when
      we were beginning to grow out of our formative stages as a Section.
      SACC started to grow from its humble beginnings with membership in the
      30s or 40's circa 1995 to where we are now (about 200, I think)
      following the meetings in Boston, Toronto, Seattle & Oaxaca. Len was a
      part of the SACC leadership during that revival. I would be an
      appropriate gesture to do something in his memory.

      Regards,
      Tony Balzano

      Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
      Professor of Sociology & Anthropology
      Social Science Chair
      Coordinator, Sustained Dialogue on Diversity
      Sussex County Community College
      1 College Hill
      Newton, NJ 07860
      973-300-2177
    • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
        Len will be greatly missed. He was definitely "one of us". I loved his
        sense of humor and his smile!

        Ellen Johnson

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
          What is the deadline for submitting sessions to AAA? Have we a SACC
          session set for the next AAA? - Ellen

          ________________________________

          From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
          Behalf
          Of Mark Lewine
          Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:43 PM
          To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

          I would like to add to Phil's good words about the loss of Len, a quiet,
          serious man who made such a strong impact on SACC, AAA, contemporary
          thinking and teaching about race. I will never forget his leadership in
          organizing and chairing one of AAA's most outstanding sessions on Race
          with Loring Brace and many other of the most outstanding scholars in the
          field, including himself. HIs teaching unit on Race was highlighted by
          many as one of the best sources for new faculty. As we build on Ann
          Kaup's initial work on building teaching sources for new faculty in
          anthropology and related disciplines, I will make certain that Len's
          contributions are kept and used as part of the core of the planned
          Anthropology Educational Outreach Center. I know that he would like that
          very much.
          It was with a great deal of sadness that I opened the current issue of
          Anthropology News that arrived today and learned of the passing of
          Leonard Lieberman. Len was a active member of SACC and served as our
          president. He did not teach in a community college, but at Central
          Michigan University, and to date is our only president to come from the
          ranks of the four-year universities.

          One complaint I hear a great deal is how community college instructors
          feel disconnected at national meetings, where attendees posture and show
          off their latest research. For them, teaching takes a back seat. But Len
          knew the importance of teaching and the importance role played by the
          community colleges. Many of his publications dealt with teaching issues
          such as teaching the concept of race.

          He will be greatly missed.

          Phil

          reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. This mail
          message has been scanned for virus and malware and is free of such to
          the best of this sending sites ability and knowledge.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
            I AM SO SORRY to hear this. I was just talking with Mel Johnson about
            Len yesterday while Mel was here visiting DC. What a loss to the
            profession and to all his friends and acquaintances he touched. I am
            every so grateful of his organizing the Oaxaca meeting, my first trip to
            Mexico, which left a lasting impression. He seemed to me a modest and
            gentle man. Ann

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
              What a nice idea, Dianne.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                From my previous email:

                The 2007 annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association will be
                held in Washington, DC (November 28-December 2, 2007). The theme of this
                year's meeting is "Difference, (In)equality, & Justice" (see below) . The
                submission deadline for panels, papers, and posters is March 30th at 5 pm
                EST. Paper/panel proposals should be submitted online through the AAA
                website (go to: <http://www.aaanet.org/> http://www.aaanet.org/).

                SACC gets two invited sessions, with one always dedicated to the Five Fields
                Update. If you are considering organizing another session and want it to be
                considered for invited status, or just to be reviewed by SACC, let me know
                as soon as possible.

                --Becky

                From: SACC-L@yahoogroups. <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> com

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                  Great idea, but I want to make it more lasting; I would like to work with other SACCers to create from Len's work and with others adding to it, a curricular resource for teaching Race and Diversity at the community college and have it available for the Race Project source bank and for our Anthropology Education Committee web site with source material. In both places it could be dedicated to his memory, and i would like to propose this at our Board meeting.

[...]

                  This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. This mail message has been scanned for virus and malware and is free of such to the best of this sending sites ability and knowledge.

                • Chuck Ellenbaum
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 16, 2007
                    I share the sadness about Len. he was a kind man with a good heart who had a good sense of humor, a twinkle in his eye, and infinite patience. He was passionate about his work and did not soft-pedal his conclusions. This humane man will be sorely missed.

                    Chuck ><>
                    Charles O. Ellenbaum
                    707 Shady Avenue
                    Geneva, IL 60134 USA
                    Cell: 630-404-1261
                    Home: 630-262-1281
                    >ellenbaumbridge@...<
                    De Colores and Ultreya

                    "Celebrate your life every moment that you have. No event in life is too small to celebrate. Live fully. Love and laugh wastefully. Take pleasure in the little things. Play and roll on your back in the park. Forgive even if you cannot forget, grudges only make you an unhappy being. Don't bite when a growl will do. Make every day of your life a dance, even when death is your final partner." Scooter's Philosophy of Life (1987-2006) (You are loved and missed.)

                  • Rebecca Cramer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 17, 2007
                      I have a wonderful memory of dinner in Oaxaca with Len and Lloyd back in '01. We had all arrived a couple of days early and went to a restaurant that sat above the Zocalo on a moonlit Monday night. Len regaled us with stories of his career and research, and he taught me much about mole. I remember learning more from him over that one meal than in all the seminars I attended in grad school.
                      Could someone send the link for his memorial article?
                      Beca

                      ==============
                      Rebecca Cramer
                      missiontosonora@...
                      http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rcramer/
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 17, 2007
                        I join you all in mourning Leonard's passing. What a bummer that
                        this wise, gentle and eminently competent teacher and scholar has
                        left us so soon. He seemed eternally youthful. We at SACC will miss
                        his friendship, leadership and inspiration and the world of
                        anthropology in general will miss the enlightenment he provided in
                        his specialty and passion�the anthropology of race. When teaching
                        about race in my classes, I often wished that Leonard were there,
                        fielding student questions in his patient, inspiring and ever-
                        respectful manner.

                        I agree that it would be nice to do something in his honor and memory
                        at a future conference.

                        Lloyd

                      • Dianne Chidester
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 19, 2007
                          Maybe we could present his work in his honor? I'm not sure if that's
                          the kind of thing that's done. -- Dianne

                          ________________________________

                        • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 20, 2007
                            Hello all SACC Folk, I join you in sorrow about losing Len Leiberman. We
                            enjoyed several dinners togeather in the early SACC days. Can you imagine
                            gentle Len as a GI Joe in WWII, carrying a bazoka thru Europe? I first can
                            across an article he wrote in Phylon, Summer 1968 while doing my dissertation.
                            Those were the days when the argument was between "lumpers and splitters." I
                            can give you copies of many of his articles for the collection that was
                            mentioned in our tribute to his works.. While we want to give him homage, I hope
                            that we can let his daughter know what we are doing and just how much we
                            respected him as a scholar and lovely person.. I don"t remember if he had a son.
                            I wish I had made the trip to Oaxaca in 01 but I just lost Therese and was
                            not in a mood to travel.

                            I think I should make one correction for the record. If Mark is talking
                            about a session with C. Loring Brace, Len, Paul Erickson, Wenda Trevathan, and
                            Montegue Cobb of Howard, the year was 1988, Something about "Informing the
                            Public About Race" and I was the convener for that one. I always thought of
                            it as my highlight in SACC.

                            At least it is rewarding to know that SACC has lasted enough years that the
                            old folks are in the history books. Bill Byrne

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 23, 2007
                                Hi Mark, I can't make it to California this year but I will mail what I
                                have of Lenn's work to whomever you say. Just give me an address and it will go
                                out the next day. I have also found a teaching exeercies That I did that
                                was published in an Indian publication. maybe you can use that in the
                                display that is making the rounds also. Bill Byrne