RE: [SACC-L] Something fun from "The Onion"

  • Linda Light
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
      After 11.
      Linda

      Dianne Chidester <dianne.chidester@...> wrote:
      Guess I better explain "The Onion." Here's the scoop from Wikipedia.

      The Onion is a parody <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody> newspaper
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper> published weekly in print and
      online. It features satirical <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire>
      articles reporting on international, national, and local news as well as
      an entertainment newspaper and website known as The A.V. Club
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_A.V._Club> . It claims a national
      print circulation of 599,000 and says 67 percent of its Web site viewers
      are between 18 and 44 years old.[1]
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion#_note-Area_Readers_Get_The_Joke#
      _note-Area_Readers_Get_The_Joke>

      The Onion's articles comment on current events, both real and imagined.
      It parodies traditional newspaper features, such as editorials
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editorial> , man-on-the-street interviews,
      and stock quotes, as well as traditional newspaper layout and AP
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_press> -style editorial voice.

      A second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section
      called The A.V. Club that features interviews and reviews of various
      newly-released media, and other weekly features. The print edition also
      contains previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities
      where a print edition is published. The online incarnation of The A.V.
      Club has its own domain, includes its own regular features (including
      the syndicated weekly sex advice column Savage Love
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Love> ), A.V. Club blogs and reader
      forums, and presents itself as a separate entity from The Onion itself.