Re: [SACC-L] Something fun from "The Onion"

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
      Okay, I'll bite. 1) He's a serious archaeologist with a vivid
      imagination who was having an after-hours drink with journalist and
      thought he was talking "off the record." Or, 2) he's a schizophrenic
      who does his job well but occasionally goes off his meds (like after-
      hours while having a drink with a journalist....). Or, 3) he's just
      jerking people's chains and enjoying every minute of it.

      But you're right, Dianne. I expect many people think of us that way
      and I'm all for maintaining the myth. If I had that good an
      imagination, I'd write anthropological mystery novels.

      On Mar 2, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Dianne Chidester wrote:

      > I'm sure this is what some people think we do!
      >
      > http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38680
      >
      > Dianne Lynn Chidester
      >
      > Anthropology & Sociology
      >
      > Greenville Technical College
      >
      > 508 S. Pleasantburg Dr.
      >
      > Greenville, SC 29607
      >
      > 864-250-8729
      >
      > This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
      > recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
      > information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
      > please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
      > the original message. This mail message has been scanned for virus
      > and malware and is free of such to the best of this sending sites
      > ability and knowledge.

    • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
        Interesting. He must be some kind of "medium" to attract so many
        "otherworld" messages. (Smile.)

        Ellen Johnson

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
          Guess I better explain "The Onion." Here's the scoop from Wikipedia.

          The Onion is a parody <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody> newspaper
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper> published weekly in print and
          online. It features satirical <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire>
          articles reporting on international, national, and local news as well as
          an entertainment newspaper and website known as The A.V. Club
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_A.V._Club> . It claims a national
          print circulation of 599,000 and says 67 percent of its Web site viewers
          are between 18 and 44 years old.[1]
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion#_note-Area_Readers_Get_The_Joke#
          _note-Area_Readers_Get_The_Joke>

          The Onion's articles comment on current events, both real and imagined.
          It parodies traditional newspaper features, such as editorials
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editorial> , man-on-the-street interviews,
          and stock quotes, as well as traditional newspaper layout and AP
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_press> -style editorial voice.

          A second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section
          called The A.V. Club that features interviews and reviews of various
          newly-released media, and other weekly features. The print edition also
          contains previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities
          where a print edition is published. The online incarnation of The A.V.
          Club has its own domain, includes its own regular features (including
          the syndicated weekly sex advice column Savage Love
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Love> ), A.V. Club blogs and reader
          forums, and presents itself as a separate entity from The Onion itself.

          ________________________________

          Okay, I'll bite. 1) He's a serious archaeologist with a vivid
          imagination who was having an after-hours drink with journalist and
          thought he was talking "off the record." Or, 2) he's a schizophrenic
          who does his job well but occasionally goes off his meds (like after-
          hours while having a drink with a journalist....). Or, 3) he's just
          jerking people's chains and enjoying every minute of it.

          But you're right, Dianne. I expect many people think of us that way
          and I'm all for maintaining the myth. If I had that good an
          imagination, I'd write anthropological mystery novels.

          On Mar 2, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Dianne Chidester wrote:

          > I'm sure this is what some people think we do!
          >
          > http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38680
          <http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38680>

          > Dianne Lynn Chidester
          >
          > Anthropology & Sociology
          >
          > Greenville Technical College
          >
          > 508 S. Pleasantburg Dr.
          >
          > Greenville, SC 29607
          >
          > 864-250-8729
          >
          > This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
          > recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
          > information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
          > please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
          > the original message. This mail message has been scanned for virus
          > and malware and is free of such to the best of this sending sites
          > ability and knowledge.

          This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. This mail message has been scanned for virus and malware and is free of such to the best of this sending sites ability and knowledge.

        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
            Nah, I know exactly what he means.
            It's worse when they are really old undead - you have to help them, they
            can't get around, their teeth fall out, and the coughing when they shriek!
            It's enough to wake the...oh, wait...
            Mike Pavlik
            http://www.aol.com

          • Linda Light