Fw: Out for photos, girl finds fossils

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2007
      the message below was sent to me by a friend...does anyone know how Florida,
      a state barely above sea level, could have supported megafauna in its past
      history?
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2007
        I am currently coordinating an archaeology field school for Brevard Community College (Atlantic Coast) where one site we are working has a rich multi-component history (Sams on Merritt Island). There is an area we refer to as the "fossil creek" where we have sifted through spoil piles and found a diverse variety of megafauna remains from mastodons, giant land tortoises, camels, glyptodonts, horses, mammoths, giant armadillos, peccaries, and tapirs.

        Please visit the site of Indian River Anthropological Society for more information:

        http://www.nbbd.com/npr/archaeology-iras/pineisland.html

        Jason