Anthropology Education Committee: 2007 Plan for Anth Education Committee-opportunity for SACC

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2007
      As I was drafted to be co-chair this year of the Anth Educa. Committee of AAA, we have a rare opportunity to have our community college agenda as a priority. The AEC members have accepted the draft plan outline below as a framework for AEC/AAA work for the coming year. I cannot accomplish much by myself without a core group of SACCers to help...review the plan and please give me suggestions and collaborative partnerships to get some of this done well. Thanks, Mark Lewine

      Draft of Plan to Engage AEC Charge to Develop Anthropology in Community Colleges

      Anthropology Educational Outreach To and Through Community Colleges

      Mark Lewine, AEC member and SACC officer

      Issue: Who Teaches Anthropology in the more than 1200 community colleges in the United States and Canada? How can the AAA/AEC/SACC be of service to them in order that anthropology become a significant part of student learning experiences and curricula, and that anthropologists become teaching faculty in our community colleges?

      Action Steps:

      a.. Survey 800+ member colleges in American Association of Community Colleges list, survey done with SACC/AAA staff collaboration. (Kathleen Terry-Sharpe in 2003-05; Richard Thomas in 2006-present) gained 300+ new names of faculty in more than 200 colleges not found before.
      b.. Work with RThomas of AAA for follow-up survey, "who is teaching anth at cc's".
      c.. Follow-up with AACC list, 3-400 colleges, target the other 400 colleges with 2nd mailing.
      d.. Add tribal colleges? SACC and tribal colleges have similar structure, student learning issues and values.
      e.. Follow-up to 2nd survey should include the following items for each respondent:
      1.. What courses are you teaching
      2.. What do you need to keep current in 4 fields (give options that SACC/AEC/AAA can provide
      3.. What k-12 and 4year anthropology curriculum is taught in your region and where?
      a.. On basis of above results, recruit new members of AAA/SACC, provide needs of CC's to SACC/AEC/AAA for development of resources.
      Help set up national center for Anthropology Educational Outreach with AEC/SACC/AAA, with regional networks of anthro educators of every educational level and practioners, develop and provide core educational and topical resources, best practices, model curricula, regional network support system from Outreach Center including "electronic