Re: RE: obit from NY times -Reply

  • Ann Kaupp
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 1999
      Lloyd, Mark is eloquent isn't he. By the way, I saw you at the AAA dance
      but you left before I could pull you onto the dance floor. The place really
      got packed. Talked to Bill Davis a little. I too think it's great that
      Barry has given SACC more recognition and hope he can continue to playi a
      visible role in the AAA.

      I'm trying now to put together a panel for the annual SACC meeting. I spoke
      with Stuart McRae and he is interested in being part of a panel on reaching
      out to teachers/schools. Stuart has taught teachers and could share his
      enthusiasm for anthropology and his approaches for introducing anthropology
      into the classroom through objects.

      Partnering and mentoring are part of the AAA long range plan and now AAA
      K-12 committee. Sections are urged to begin implementing the goals of the
      long range plan and thought SACC might want to take an initiative in this.
      Mark said he would be interested in sharing his experiences. Do you know of
      others in SACC who have taught teachers or partnered with schools?

      Meg Conkey at Berkeley implemented an outreach program for grad. students
      who must work with local high schools as part of their graduation
      requirements. I hope we can encourage SACC members to initiate teaching
      labs, share teaching, teacher workshops in their local area. Think this
      would have a much greater impact than inviting a few teachers to attend a
      workshop at the annual meetings. Johnetta Cole also talked about
      partnering/mentoring with schools at the AAA meeting.

      Please let me know your ideas on this and anyone else I ought to contact.
      We need enthusiastic speakers. Also this might lead to the development of
      teaching materials and professional contacts for teachers. Think this
      effort would work well with Omara's theme on Global Community. Hope you
      have a wonderful holiday. Ann