Fwd: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
      Good idea, Dianne, to post this discussion on the SACC-L.

      Colleagues: the issue is whether or not to hold SACC's 2008
      conference in DC in April since the AAA will meet there next
      November. How many people would attend both? How many would or
      could not attend two meetings in DC the same year? How many would or
      could not attend a meeting in DC in any case? Following is a
      discussion with some other suggested options. Please join the
      discussion and contribute your two cents.

      Begin forwarded message:

    • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
        I don't see a problem with it. There is lots to do in D.C. At the AAA,
        there is no time to sightsee, anyway.

        Ellen Johnson

        ________________________________

        Good idea, Dianne, to post this discussion on the SACC-L.

        Colleagues: the issue is whether or not to hold SACC's 2008
        conference in DC in April since the AAA will meet there next
        November. How many people would attend both? How many would or
        could not attend two meetings in DC the same year? How many would or
        could not attend a meeting in DC in any case? Following is a
        discussion with some other suggested options. Please join the
        discussion and contribute your two cents.

        Begin forwarded message:

        > From: "Dianne C" <dianneky@... <mailto:dianneky%40hotmail.com>
        >
        > Date: January 17, 2007 9:00:42 AM CST
        > To: Mark.Lewine@... <mailto:Mark.Lewine%40tri-c.edu> ,
        KAUPPA@... <mailto:KAUPPA%40si.edu> , lloyd.miller@...
        <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> ,
        redwards@... <mailto:redwards%40cabrillo.edu> ,
        > steinrl@... <mailto:steinrl%40lavc.edu> ,
        deborah.shepherd@...
        <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> ,
        mrkellogg@... <mailto:mrkellogg%40msn.com>
        > Subject: RE: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT
        >
        > Hi All!
        >
        > I think some of us talked about the "problem" of having both
        > meetings in D.C. The general consensus, if I remember correctly,
        > was that AAA and SACC are so different that it wouldn't matter.
        > Personally, I don't think there's a problem having the 2008 SACC in
        > D.C. For one thing, even though I've been to D.C. several times
        > for AAA, I've never been able to get to any of the museums. And,
        > if I had to give up one meeting, it would be AAA in order to attend
        > SACC. (I'm no longer an officer, so I can say things like that, I
        > think!)
        >
        > Should we post this discussion on SACC-L to find out what more
        > folks think?
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Dianne
        >

        >> From: "Lewine, Mark" <Mark.Lewine@...
        <mailto:Mark.Lewine%40tri-c.edu> >
        >> To: "Kaupp, Ann" <KAUPPA@... <mailto:KAUPPA%40si.edu> >,"Lloyd
        Miller"
        >> <lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
        >,"Gilliland, Mary" <mkgilliland@...
        <mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu> >
        >> CC: "Chuck Ellenbaum" <ellenbaumbridge@...
        <mailto:ellenbaumbridge%40mac.com> >,"Dianne Chidester"
        >> <dianneky@... <mailto:dianneky%40hotmail.com> >,"Rob Edwards"

        >> <redwards@... <mailto:redwards%40cabrillo.edu> >,"Becky
        Stein-Frankle"
        >> <steinrl@... <mailto:steinrl%40lavc.edu> >,"Deborah Shepherd"
        >> <deborah.shepherd@...
        <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> >,"Barry Kass"
        Kellogg" <mrkellogg@... <mailto:mrkellogg%40msn.com> >

        <http://get.live.com/messenger/>
        > overview

      • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
          Not a problem for me.
          The two meetings are different and Ann's insider status is a real plus.

          Dorothy Davis
          Anthropology Department
          UNCG
          Tel- 256-1099

          Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
          Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
          01/17/2007 10:33 AM
          Please respond to
          SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

          SACC ListServ <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
          cc

          Subject
          [SACC-L] Fwd: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT

        • Linda Light
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
            I've attended two AAA meetings in DC and don't feel the need to attend another, but I'll go to a SACC meeting anywhere!
            Linda

          • Bob Muckle
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
              I definitely would like to have the 2008 meeting in D.C. My first choice
              is to have it in the Spring. My second choice is to have it in the days
              immediately prior to or following the the AAA in the Fall.

              Bob Muckle

              >>> lloyd.miller@... 01/17/07 7:33 AM >>>

            • Lynch, Brian M
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
                My hunch would be that folks on the East Coast and in Mid-Atlantic
                region would appreciate the opportunity to have something in this
                direction-whether in DC or elsewhere. (We might be able to stir up the
                eastern regional participation a bit, too.) Has there ever been serious
                consideration of a place like Providence, RI? (I happen to live in
                Prov., and wouldn't necessarily suggest Boston, but Providence has 10
                minute access to a very easy to use airport, it is on Amtrak lines, and
                has significant resources in the region for anthropology.)

                Brian

                ________________________________

                I definitely would like to have the 2008 meeting in D.C. My first choice
                is to have it in the Spring. My second choice is to have it in the days
                immediately prior to or following the the AAA in the Fall.

                Bob Muckle

                >>> lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> 01/17/07
                7:33 AM >>>
> [...]

                <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> >,"Barry Kass"
                >> <bkass@... <mailto:bkass%40sunyorange.edu> >,"Dennis
                Kellogg" <mrkellogg@... <mailto:mrkellogg%40msn.com> >
                >> Subject: RE: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT
                >> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:33:40 -0500
                >>
                >> OK, personally I can deal with either situation, just know that we

                >> have
                >> done a successful AAA/SACC combination once...Chuck probably
                >> remembers
                >> more details than me...we make decisions for the collective good of
                >> course, so I am just trying to advise that there are some 'easier'
                >> economics for SACC expenses and officer expenses if we combine AAA/

                >> SACC.
                >> DC of course has many attributes that are good for both substance
                and
                >> fun. Places like Oaxaca and others that require more than one

                -------
                NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
                in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
                sentto-126016-3728-1169056573-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
                oo.com

                If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
                need to add
                sentto-126016-3728-1169056573-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
                oo.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
                the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
                http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
              • rob edwards
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
                  I like coming to WDC again. The cultural resources there and nearby are
                  virtually limitless and deserve many visits. I also hope someone will do
                  something in the New England area, if for no other reason than being
                  able to visit the Pequot Museum in Eastern Connecticut (not the casino
                  although that too is a cultural experience).

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
                    I would attend both as an officer's responsibility is to both
                    organizations and it would be easy because flights to DC through
                    Baltimore and shuttle are incredibly cheap and the restaurants are
                    fabulous as well as the anth and archaeology...

                    ________________________________

                    Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> >
                    wrote:
> [...]

                    >> <deborah.shepherd@...
                    <mailto:deborah.shepherd%40anokaramsey.edu> >,"Barry Kass"
                    >> <bkass@... <mailto:bkass%40sunyorange.edu> >,"Dennis
                    Kellogg" <mrkellogg@... <mailto:mrkellogg%40msn.com> >
                    >> Subject: RE: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT
                    >> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:33:40 -0500
                    >>
                    >> OK, personally I can deal with either situation, just know that we
                    >> have
                    >> done a successful AAA/SACC combination once...Chuck probably
                    >> remembers
                    >> more details than me...we make decisions for the collective good of
                    >> course, so I am just trying to advise that there are some 'easier'
                    >> economics for SACC expenses and officer expenses if we combine AAA/
                    >> SACC.
                    >> DC of course has many attributes that are good for both substance and
                    >> fun. Places like Oaxaca and others that require more than one plane

                  • Philip Stein
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 17, 2007
                      Greetings from the West Coast!

                      A number of years ago we had a SACC and AAA meeting during the same week. The SACC meeting was early in the week, so there was little overlap. I thought it worked out quite well. I try to attend all SACC meetings, but only some AAA meetings, since comning out from the West Coast takes up a whole day. So I like the idea of a combined meeting. Otherwise, I would probably go the SACC meeting but not the AAA.

                      P.S. I like the idea of a meeting in New England. I've never been there except for the SACC meeting in Boston. Does it snow there? We've been having highs in the 40s and 50s, and it's freezing!!!

                      Phil

                      KAUPPA@... , lloyd.miller@...
                      ,
                      redwards@... ,
                      deborah.shepherd@...
                      ,
                      > bkass@... ,
                      mrkellogg@...
                      > Subject: RE: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT
                      >
                      > Hi All!
                      >
                      > I think some of us talked about the "problem" of having both
                      > meetings in D.C. The general consensus, if I remember correctly,
                      > was that AAA and SACC are so different that it wouldn't matter.
                      > Personally, I don't think there's a problem having the 2008 SACC in
                      > D.C. For one thing, even though I've been to D.C. several times
                      > for AAA, I've never been able to get to any of the museums. And,
                      > if I had to give up one meeting, it would be AAA in order to attend
                      > SACC. (I'm no longer an officer, so I can say things like that, I
                      > think!)
                      >
                      > Should we post this discussion on SACC-L to find out what more
                      > folks think?
                      >
                      > Cheers!
                      > Dianne
                      >

                      >> From: "Lewine, Mark" >
                      >> To: "Kaupp, Ann" >,"Lloyd
                      Miller"

                      >,"Gilliland, Mary" >
                      >> CC: "Chuck Ellenbaum" >,"Dianne Chidester"
                      >> >,"Rob Edwards"

                      >> >,"Becky
                      Stein-Frankle"

                      ]
                      >> Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 1:10 PM
                      >> To: Gilliland, Mary
                      >> Cc: Kaupp, Ann; Mark Lewine; Chuck Ellenbaum; Dianne Chidester; Rob
                      >> Edwards; Becky Stein-Frankle; Deborah Shepherd; Barry Kass; Dennis
                      >> Kellogg
                      >> Subject: Re: 2008 Meeting - IMPORTANT
                      >>

                      >> I like Mary Kay's two cents and would also choose the SACC
                      >> meetings, not
                      >> only for the weather, but also because they're more fun and SACC
                      >> is more
                      >> ME than AAA. I'm not sure if I'd attend AAA next fall unless SACC
                      >> were
                      >> attached, as Mark suggested.
                      >>

                      >> In case we want to go the Cahokia route, I included Dennis Kellogg
                      >> (my
                      >> DMACC colleague) in this and also forwarded to him the previous
                      >> correspondence, so he can be forewarned (or "get outa Dodge" as
                      >> the case
                      >> may be).
                      >>

                      >> Lloyd
                      >>

                      >> On Jan 16, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Gilliland, Mary wrote:
                      >>

                      >> I actually like the 2 meetings a year thing, and wouldn't at all mind
                      >> coming to D.C. twice in one year. Ann's time, in the spring, is much
                      >> nicer than November, so if I chose one, it would be SACC, not AAA.
                      >>

                      >> Just my two cents.
                      >>

                      >> Mary Kay Gilliland (Pima Community College, Tucson)

                      > Your Hotmail address already works to sign into Windows Live
                      > Messenger! Get it now http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/

                      > msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://get.live.com/messenger/

                      > overview

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                        Hello to all SACCers, A few days ago Providence RI was mentioned as a
                        possibility venue for the yearly meeting. My wife, until a few years ago, lived
                        there for several years and highly recommends the area for great restrurants.
                        I know that is very important for a good meeting. Bill Byrne, Happily
                        retired

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                          Yes, Rhode Island is the home of American relativity, separation of
                          church and state, and everything that is good and needs resurgence in
                          this country! Besides good food (certainly important) do we have easy
                          transport, lodging and sites to explore?

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                            I would like to attend a meeting in Rhode Island as well. Brown Univ.
                            and the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology are in Providence.

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                              Providence has numerous hotels (and more being built by the minute!), Amtrak comes into the center of the city from hubs to the south, up into New England and West to Buffalo, N.Y.; the airport is about 8 minutes away from the city and is easy to get to. At the same time, we are surrounded by universities, colleges and community colleges throughout the northeast and the mid-atlantic (many of which are under-represented at our national meetings). I don't know how seriously we might consider some place outside of DC at this point (since the discussion was more about whether to have the meeting in tandem with the annual AAA meeting), but if there is any consideration of such alternatives, I'd highly recommend Providence.

                              Brian

                              ________________________________

                              Hello to all SACCers, A few days ago Providence RI was mentioned as a
                              possibility venue for the yearly meeting. My wife, until a few years
                              ago, lived
                              there for several years and highly recommends the area for great
                              restrurants.
                              I know that is very important for a good meeting. Bill Byrne, Happily
                              retired

                              NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown in the headers. The real sender of this message is: sentto-126016-3735-1169155096-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...

                              If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would need to add sentto-126016-3735-1169155096-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@... to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item: http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
                            • Lynch, Brian M
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 18, 2007
                                The Pequot Museum is about 40 minutes from the city; the State Archaeologist for Connecticut is about 50 miles away, the whole community college systems of CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT fall in the region.... (just to fill in some of the further details!)

                                From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                                NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown in the headers. The real sender of this message is: sentto-126016-3736-1169156504-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...

                                If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would need to add sentto-126016-3736-1169156504-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@... to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item: http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender