FW: CALL FOR PAPERS

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      From: Dwight W. Read [SMTP:dread@...]
      <mailto:[SMTP:dread@...]>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 4:14 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      <mailto:ANTHRO-L@...>
      Subject: Fwd: CALL FOR PAPERS

      A new electronic, refereed journal.

      Dwight Read

      From: Paul Ballonoff <pablito@... <mailto:pablito@...> >
      Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS

      CALL FOR PAPERS FOR A NEW ON-LINE JOURNAL:

      Mathematical Anthropology and Cultural Theory,
      or MACT

      MACT is a refereed technical journal for the cultural
      sciences. We especially want to publish original research on mathematical
      anthropology, cultural theory, cognitive theory, the philosophy of science
      as applied to those topics, and related areas. Papers can be mathematical,
      or formal models, or (sometimes) just good reasoning. We particularly want
      to publish new papers using or at least directly appealing to and underlain
      by algebras, computational theory, logics, lattices, "finite methods",
      combinatorics or similar techniques. Innovative ideas will be favored.
      Likely to be rejected: papers which are simply statistical studies or
      applied text book methods, and papers using standard analysis and/or
      standard simulations - it may be good research but there are many other
      places for those papers.

      Our international Board of Editors are: Ubiratan D'Ambrosio,
      Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, Universidade Estadual de Campinas
      (Brazil); Irina V. Ezhkova, Professor of Artificial Intelligence and
      Cognition, International Institute of Applied Technology, (Brussels);
      Richard Greechie, Professor of Mathematics, Louisiana Technical University;
      F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing), Professor of Anthropology and Cognitive
      Science, University of Illinois (Urbana); Martin Ottenheimer, Professor of
      Anthropology, Kansas State University; Dwight Read, Professor of
      Anthropology and Professor of Statistics, University of California at Los
      Angeles; and Senior Editor Paul Ballonoff of Ballonoff Consulting.

      A consensus of the Board of Editor that the paper is worth
      publishing is required to be published in MACT; when necessary, peer review
      by outside readers will be used - MACT is a Refereed Journal. Please allow
      us up to six months to consider a proposed paper. After suitable papers are
      accepted and revised if and as required, we post them in Adobe Acrobat, with
      a publication date including volume number, calendar year, and month. As an
      on-line journal we are not restrained by the elements that confine
      traditional journals. Deadlines don't force us to publish unsuitable papers.
      There is therefore also no mandated minimum nor maximum size.

      We prefer that the authors take a copyright on their own
      work. However, by submitting a paper to MACT you grant us a license to
      publish the paper in electronic form, and at our option in printed or other
      forms. Once accepted and published, you also grant a license to any user of
      the journal to download and print the paper, and to cite from it subject to
      normal standards for reasonable scientific use. No fees are charged for
      access to the site or for publication.

      In summary, if we think it is a useful new contribution to
      cultural science, and we can put it in an Acrobat file, we can publish it
      here. MACT is an SBBay.com Publication. Log in at:

      www.SBBay.com/MACT <http://www.sbbay.com/MACT>

      Dwight W. Read, Professor
      Department of Anthropology and
      Department of Statistics
      University of California, Los Angeles
      Visiting Professor
      Department of Anthropology
      University of Kent at Canterbury, Kent, UK
      Email: dread@... <mailto:dread@...>
      or D.Read-13@... <mailto:D.Read-13@...>
      Office Phone: (310) 825-3988
      FAX: (310) 556-0703