FW: A Job Announcment

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11 2:50 PM
      Forwarded to the SACC-L list

      From: robert paynter [mailto:rpaynter@...]
      Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 2:16 PM
      To: Popplestone, Ann
      Subject: A Job Announcment

      Dear Dr. Popplestone,

      Would you please let me know if the job ad in this message can be
      circulated among the members of the Society for Anthropology in
      Community Colleges, and if so how I should do this?

      Bob Paynter
      UMass Amherst

      The University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks an archaeologist for a
      tenure-track position at the assistant professor level starting Fall
      2007. PhD preferred at time of appointment. The Department is building
      on our teaching, research, and service concentration on the causes and
      manifestations of inequality and the promotion of social justice in the
      Americas. This position is part of a group of hires in these areas
      across the subdisciplines of anthropology.

      The successful applicant will have a vision and record of research and
      teaching in the archaeology of racism and social inequality, preferably
      in the Indigenous Americas and/or the African Diaspora. Furthermore, we
      will consider candidates who:

      * have at least one geographical focus on and a commitment to
      building a program in the Americas.

      * have a demonstrated research record in issues of power,
      inequality, and structural violence among communities and populations
      with a legacy of subordination by slavery, discrimination, and/or

      * are integrated into the racialized communities they study, as a
      means to build on the strong community outreach initiative of the

      * value and encourage research and teaching across the
      subdisciplines of anthropology.

      * will strengthen our cooperation with interdepartmental programs
      with these same foci.

      The department is committed to developing a more diverse faculty,
      student body and curriculum.

      The University of Massachusetts Amherst is the flagship campus of the
      5-campus publicly funded UMass system. It is located in the Connecticut
      River Valley, 90 miles west of Boston and 180 miles northeast of New
      York City. UMass Amherst hosts nearly 19,000 undergraduate students and
      5,600 graduate students, and nearly 900 tenure system faculty. The
      Department of Anthropology has 17 faculty, 175 majors in the BA program
      and 82 graduate students working on MA and/or PhD programs.

      UMass Amherst anthropology faculty work closely with their counterparts
      in the area private colleges (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and
      Smith) in curricular planning. The faculty is unionized, and the
      University of Massachusetts offers an excellent benefits package. UMass
      Amherst prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The
      University of Massachusetts is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
      employer. Women and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.

      Send a letter describing interests and qualifications, a CV, and listing
      of 3 referees to Chair, Archaeology Anthropology Search Committee,
      Department of Anthropology, UMass, Amherst, MA 01003. Application
      screening commences on December 1, 2006, and continues until the
      position is filled.