Smart Bonobo

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2006
      Dear Colleagues:

      An item in the Des Moines Register yesterday is too good not to share
      with you. As you may (or may not) know, Des Moines recently became
      home to a world-class primate research center called the Great Ape
      Trust. Following are quotes from the article:

      "The bonobo who set off a fire alarm at Great Ape Trust of Iowa last
      month did it again Wednesday.

      "This time Panbanisha...a 20-year-old adult female bonobo, apparently
      was upset about not being allowed outside, so she pulled the fire
      alarm...

      "Panbanisha... hid under a blanket after a welder touched off an
      alarm at the research center last month. It took her less than a day
      to figure out how to duplicate the excitement.

      "When the alarm sounded again the next morning, 'I went to check on
      Pan, and she was sitting there next to it with a smile on her face,'
      lead scientists Sue Savage-Rumbaugh said last month...

      "Shortly after 8 a.m. Wednesday, Panbanisha wanted to go outside but
      the staff was busy at that moment and could not let her out. So
      Panbanisha apparently expressed her dissatisfaction by pulling the
      fire alarm...

      "Panbanisha and another ape, Kanzi, can communicate with scientists
      via an electronic symbol board."

      Maintenance personnel are installing protective coverings over the
      fire alarms...

    • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2006
        There's a great article on the Bobobos in November's issue of Smithsonian.
        On page 74 there is an insert on the Great Ape Trust and more about Kanzi
        and Panbanisha. I wish retired faculty had it that good. The yogurt
        episode is amazing.

        Dorothy Davis
        Anthropology Department
        UNCG
        Tel- 256-1099

        Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
        Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
        11/17/2006 10:48 AM
        Please respond to
        SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

        SACC ListServ <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
        cc

        Subject
        [SACC-L] Smart Bonobo

[...]

      • Dianne C
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2006
          I wonder what kind of "protective coverings" can be installed over the fire
          alarms will look like and how long it will take for the Bonobos to figure
          them out? -- Dianne

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2006
            Yeah, you'd think that if they were "good enough" to thwart the
            bonobos, they'd be more trouble than they're worth to humans; sort of
            like child-proof medicine container lids are to old folks with
            arthritis. Maybe they'll just have to try and teach the bonobos not
            to mess with fire alarms (though we have yet to succeed in teaching
            deer to observe deer crossing signs).
            Lloyd

          • Lynch, Brian M
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2006
              They had better not make the "protective covers" too complicated or
              difficult-I just keep thinking of how many VCR's there are still in the
              US, blinking "12:00" ! The Bonobos will have them figured out (the
              covers, that is) before anyone else!

              Brian

              ________________________________

              Yeah, you'd think that if they were "good enough" to thwart the
              bonobos, they'd be more trouble than they're worth to humans; sort of
              like child-proof medicine container lids are to old folks with
              arthritis. Maybe they'll just have to try and teach the bonobos not
              to mess with fire alarms (though we have yet to succeed in teaching
              deer to observe deer crossing signs).
              Lloyd

              On Nov 20, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Dianne C wrote:

              > I wonder what kind of "protective coverings" can be installed over
              > the fire
              > alarms will look like and how long it will take for the Bonobos to
              > figure
              > them out? -- Dianne
              >
              > >From: Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER <ddbruner@...
              <mailto:ddbruner%40uncg.edu> >
              > >To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
              > >Subject: Re: [SACC-L] Smart Bonobo
              > >Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:12:00 -0500
              > >
              > >There's a great article on the Bobobos in November's issue of
              > Smithsonian.
              > > On page 74 there is an insert on the Great Ape Trust and more
              > about Kanzi
              > >and Panbanisha. I wish retired faculty had it that good. The yogurt
              > >episode is amazing.
              > >

              > >Dorothy Davis
              > >Anthropology Department
              > >UNCG
              > >Tel- 256-1099
              > >

              > >Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...
              <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> >
              > >Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
              > >11/17/2006 10:48 AM
              > >Please respond to
              > >SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

              > >SACC ListServ <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
              > >cc
              > >
              > >Subject
              > >[SACC-L] Smart Bonobo
              > >

              > >Dear Colleagues:
              > >
              > >An item in the Des Moines Register yesterday is too good not to share
              > >with you. As you may (or may not) know, Des Moines recently became
              > >home to a world-class primate research center called the Great Ape
              > >Trust. Following are quotes from the article:
              > >
              > >"The bonobo who set off a fire alarm at Great Ape Trust of Iowa last
              > >month did it again Wednesday.
              > >
              > >"This time Panbanisha...a 20-year-old adult female bonobo, apparently
              > >was upset about not being allowed outside, so she pulled the fire
              > >alarm...
              > >
              > >"Panbanisha... hid under a blanket after a welder touched off an
              > >alarm at the research center last month. It took her less than a day
              > >to figure out how to duplicate the excitement.
              > >
              > >"When the alarm sounded again the next morning, 'I went to check on
              > >Pan, and she was sitting there next to it with a smile on her face,'
              > >lead scientists Sue Savage-Rumbaugh said last month...
              > >
              > >"Shortly after 8 a.m. Wednesday, Panbanisha wanted to go outside but
              > >the staff was busy at that moment and could not let her out. So
              > >Panbanisha apparently expressed her dissatisfaction by pulling the
              > >fire alarm...
              > >
              > >"Panbanisha and another ape, Kanzi, can communicate with scientists
              > >via an electronic symbol board."
              > >
              > >Maintenance personnel are installing protective coverings over the
              > >fire alarms...
              > >
              > >Lloyd

              -------
              NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
              in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
              sentto-126016-3685-1164050392-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
              oo.com

              If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
              need to add
              sentto-126016-3685-1164050392-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
              oo.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
              the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
              http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender