Re: [SACC-L] next Southern California SACC potluck

  • Linda Light
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
      Darn, we have tickets for the Pacific Symphony for that night. Otherwise, I'd offer my place to host it.
      Linda Light

      Kent Morris <km@...> wrote:
      Hi Monica! Thanks for inquiring...

      The first get-together was a complete success--all five (including two spouses) who said they would show up did!!!--the former VP of Southern California SACC, the editor of the Annual Editions series, and a professor from San Diego. As one of them said, all great things start small!!! So even though Dec. 2 is right in the middle of the Holiday season, we hope we can attract at least a few more folk who would like to do something a little different over the holidays. Would you be interested in hosting? Or do you know someone who might be interested? Hope you're having a great semester...

      Kent

        Couldn't make the first one...how'd it go?
        Monica Bellas
        Cerritos College

        >From: "bud19dha52" <km@...>
        >To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SACC-L] next Southern California SACC potluck
        >Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:07:04 -0000
        >
        >We need someone to host the next SACC potluck in Southern California
        >on Saturday, December 2, from 7pm to 10pm. Your home should be
        >located in a centralized location in the Orange County/Los Angeles
        >area and large enough to accommodate up to 15 people. Please contact
        >either Kent Morris at (714)528-5468/km@... or Diane Levine
        >at (818)710-2876/levinep@.... for further info. You'll
        >be doing the local anthropology subculture a world of good!!!
        >

        >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
        >ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.eset.com

        http://www.eset.com

      • Linda Light
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
          Kent,
          I'm available any Friday evening in Dec (1, 8, 15), and the other Saturdays (9, 16). Would any of those work?

          Linda--what night would you be available if I need to change the date?

          Couldn't make the first one...how'd it go?
          Monica Bellas
          Cerritos College

          >From: "bud19dha52" <km@...>
          >To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SACC-L] next Southern California SACC potluck
          >Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:07:04 -0000
          >
          >We need someone to host the next SACC potluck in Southern California
          >on Saturday, December 2, from 7pm to 10pm. Your home should be
          >located in a centralized location in the Orange County/Los Angeles
          >area and large enough to accommodate up to 15 people. Please contact
          >either Kent Morris at (714)528-5468/km@... or Diane Levine
          >at (818)710-2876/levinep@.... for further info. You'll
          >be doing the local anthropology subculture a world of good!!!
          >

          >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
          >ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.eset.com

          http://www.eset.com

        • Kent Morris
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
            Linda--in your opinion, which of those dates would attract most people's attention?

            Linda--what night would you be available if I need to change the date?

            Couldn't make the first one...how'd it go?
            Monica Bellas
            Cerritos College

            >From: "bud19dha52" <km@...>
            >To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SACC-L] next Southern California SACC potluck
            >Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:07:04 -0000
            >
            >We need someone to host the next SACC potluck in Southern California
            >on Saturday, December 2, from 7pm to 10pm. Your home should be
            >located in a centralized location in the Orange County/Los Angeles
            >area and large enough to accommodate up to 15 people. Please contact
            >either Kent Morris at (714)528-5468/km@... or Diane Levine
            >at (818)710-2876/levinep@.... for further info. You'll
            >be doing the local anthropology subculture a world of good!!!
            >

            >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
            >ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.eset.com

            http://www.eset.com

            http://www.eset.com

          • Linda Light
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2006
              Kent, I think the earlier the better.
              Linda

              Linda--what night would you be available if I need to change the date?

              Couldn't make the first one...how'd it go?
              Monica Bellas
              Cerritos College

              >From: "bud19dha52" <km@...>
              >To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SACC-L] next Southern California SACC potluck
              >Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:07:04 -0000
              >
              >We need someone to host the next SACC potluck in Southern California
              >on Saturday, December 2, from 7pm to 10pm. Your home should be
              >located in a centralized location in the Orange County/Los Angeles
              >area and large enough to accommodate up to 15 people. Please contact
              >either Kent Morris at (714)528-5468/km@... or Diane Levine
              >at (818)710-2876/levinep@.... for further info. You'll
              >be doing the local anthropology subculture a world of good!!!
              >

              >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
              >ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://www.eset.com

              http://www.eset.com

              http://www.eset.com

            • bud19dha52
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2006
                Mark--we couldn't have gotten this off the ground without your
                encouragement...thanks for everything!!!...Kent

                --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...> wrote:

                > At first this message just made me jealous because you have so
                many community colleges and anth profs that you can have a real
                local regional network with my favorite method of 'meeting'=
                potlucks. Other than sharing an archaeological dig with a group
                playing together in the dig 'sandbox', sharing food at a potluck
                seems the ideal way to get a SACC network going. Congrats to Kent
                and Diane...it makes me want to bring back my Ohio Anthrolink,
                where we shared food and a presentation from one of us on our latest
                work. In our area, we had to include all anthro's to get a critical
                mass of folks, though. We did have a newsletter, however, once we
                got it up and running, and that helped keep the core of regulars
                going. Now it would be easier to do the newsletter as it could be
                done online obviously.

              • Monica Bellas
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2006
                  Kent --
                  I'm glad to see that Linda volunteered for the next potluck...I live in
                  Murrieta (on the border between Riverside/San Diego counties -- exactly 70
                  miles from Cerritos College) so my place is definitely NOT centrally
                  located. But I am looking forward to the potluck and will do my best to
                  come.
                  Thanks for getting this going,
                  Monica
                  Cerritos College
                  Norwalk, CA

                  "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                  body,
                  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...
                  "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"

                • Kent Morris
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
                    Monica--Fantastic!!! Looking forward to meeting you in person...Kent

                    http://www.eset.com