Conflict within traditional groups

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
      I am currently taking a dispute resolution class for the public sector
      and my instructor seems to think I know a lot. Foolish man!! Anyway,
      he asked me to look into conflict resolution techniques in traditional
      peoples that would mirror our civilized version of mediation and/or
      arbitration, that is, an informal ad hoc method. Now I have read Frye's
      Human Potential for Peace and some other things that briefly talk about
      how groups settle conflicts within the group or between community
      members but all of the processes seem rather formalized and definitely
      do not fit into the category of ad hoc. I have also read the
      descriptions of dispute resolution that are more violent between
      groups. So my question to you is, have you heard of any groups that
      have ad hoc dispute resolution techniques. Perhaps, I am not asking the
      correct question, but its the one my State Senator-Instructor gave me.
      Its been a long time, since I have felt this incompetent. Oh, well, at
      least I continue to learn. Mel Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
        Mel, off the top of my head (which is where most of this stuff rests
        anymore), I recall some studies by Laura Nader on conflict resolution
        in Mexican villages. These go back some years�1970s?�and she made a
        film about them titled (I think) "To Make the Balance," though she
        also wrote a book and a number of articles on it as well. The
        process was that the municipal president and several town councilmen
        held informal courts to hear tort-like cases (he stole my chicken;
        she won't pay me for the cow, etc.). The decisions were usually
        geared toward effecting a balance that satisfied both parties. I
        think this process might qualify as ad hoc.
        Lloyd

      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
          In a message dated 10/21/2006 9:03:29 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          majohns@... writes:

          settle conflicts within the group or between community
          members but all of the processes seem rather formalized and definitely
          do not fit into the category of ad hoc. I have also read the
          descriptions of dispute resolution that are more violent between
          groups.

          You might look into the 'Acephalous States" material from the 70's and
          earlier. There was a great deal of conflict resolution material, and while some
          of it looks formal ( Leopard Skin Chief/Priest amongst the Nuer, for example)
          you might check out some of the material about barter.
          More economic than political, but economics is where a lot of the
          conflicts originate.
          Mike Pavlik

        • Rebecca Cramer

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
              I don't really have any sources (short of a label at the Field Museum)
              but the Nkisi Nkondi statues (also known as nail figures) from former
              Zaire are all about conflict resolution. Basically, as I understand it,
              when two people have a conflict, they go to a priest for resolution.
              Once resolution is found, each party pounds a piece of iron into the
              statue to seal the vow and the power in the nail figure helps the two
              parties to keep their vows.
              --Sydney

            • shart9@ccc.edu
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
                Ooh, I just thought of another one-- the kava ceremonies described in
                Martha Ward's book, Nest in the Wind, where people dring kava (a mild
                relaxing drug) and then work out their problems--sort of like sharing a
                beer to relax before trying to work out difficulties. Thanks, by the
                way, to everyone who suggested Ward's book to me. I think my students
                really enjoyed it.
                --Sydney

                > In a message dated 10/21/2006 9:03:29 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                > majohns@... writes:
                >
                > settle conflicts within the group or between community
                > members but all of the processes seem rather formalized and
                > definitely
                > do not fit into the category of ad hoc. I have also read the
                > descriptions of dispute resolution that are more violent between
                > groups.
                >

                > You might look into the 'Acephalous States" material from the 70's
                > and
                > earlier. There was a great deal of conflict resolution material,
                > and while some
                > of it looks formal ( Leopard Skin Chief/Priest amongst the Nuer,
                > for example)
                > you might check out some of the material about barter.
                > More economic than political, but economics is where a lot of
                > the
                > conflicts originate.
                > Mike Pavlik

              • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 23, 2006
                  Mel, there is a film. An Argument About a Marriage. John Marshall film
                  on the!Kung San. Discussing all sides of a question, hearing everyone's
                  opinion, and then time resolved the problem. Toma, the band leader,
                  mediated.
                  Ellen Johnson
                  Also,the work of Stephen Sachs on Native Americans and conflict
                  resolution. I don't know if he has a website. He retired from U. of
                  Indiana, Indianapolis, and is living in New Mexico.

[...]

                • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 23, 2006
                    Mel,

                    Laura Nader's film is "Little Injustices".

                    I'm not sure what ad hoc means in this case, but have you checkes out
                    stuff like trial by ordeal, witchcraft in general, leopard skin chiefs,
                    informal adjudication, and of course the "Padlu" incident.
                    I would recommend that you look at the conflict resolution section in an a
                    couple of intro cultural texts.

                    Dorothy Davis
                    Anthropology Department
                    UNCG
                    Tel- 256-1099

                    Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...>
                    Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                    10/21/2006 11:41 AM
                    Please respond to
                    SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                    SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                    cc

                    Subject
                    Re: [SACC-L] Conflict within traditional groups

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 23, 2006
                      I just looked up Steve on the WEB and he is not the playwright or the
                      young law student. He also goes by Muquit and is a Ute pipe-carrier.
                      I'll look under that.
                      Ellen

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 23, 2006
                        Not any Muquit I found on the WEB. He is also a Sufi master, though.
                        Ellen

                      • naftalyp@sunyacc.edu
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
                          Hello Fellow SACCites,
                          I'll be attending the entire week of the up-coming AAA Annual
                          Meeting. Is anyone else planning on attending? Best, Phillip Naftaly.

                        • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
                            I will be going through Sat., but I'll be commuting from my son's house
                            in Mt. View.
                            Ellen Johnson