Re: [SACC-L] future evolution

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
      It isn't just the BBC that apparently will report anything. I read the
      news release days ago in one of the local papers. I think it might have
      even been on the front page (which doesn't say much for what is supposed
      to be one of the better papers).

      It turns out that I had been hoodwinked a bit, which led to my earlier
      comment on SACC-L that the piece was kind of funny and a bit political.
      In the version I first read on-line, someone had tweaked it a bit to
      correlate the descendants of the tall, slim, healthy, intelligent, and
      creative upper genetic class with liberals and Democrats and the
      "dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures" were correlated with
      conservatives and Republicans. Those correlations were added with
      someone having a bit of fun.

      After thinking about it for awhile, I do see some value in the article.
      The next time a student asks me about the future direction of human
      evolution, I can let them know that a study reported by the BBC
      indicates that in the future, men will have bigger penises and women
      will have pert breasts and glossy hair. I won't really say this, but the
      article does.

      Bob

      >>> lloyd.miller@... 10/20/06 2:08 PM >>>
      My briefest response to this article would be, "or not." It must
      have been a really slow news day, or else the folks at BBC
      desperately needed some entertainment.

      I remember many years ago (at the dawn of the computer age!) reading
      an article wherein the author predicted that because of our growing
      penchant for pushing buttons, future humans would hugh forefingers,
      hugh heads, tiny bodies and atrophied genitalia. I think it was in
      Playboy, Mad or some such magazine.

      Lloyd