future evolution

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2006
      This news story out of the U.K. has been making the rounds this week. It
      is about the future direction of human evolution, that has us splitting
      into two species. I can see no real value, except perhaps to illustrate
      that the media will print anything. It is also kind of funny, and a bit
      political.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
        My briefest response to this article would be, "or not." It must
        have been a really slow news day, or else the folks at BBC
        desperately needed some entertainment.

        I remember many years ago (at the dawn of the computer age!) reading
        an article wherein the author predicted that because of our growing
        penchant for pushing buttons, future humans would hugh forefingers,
        hugh heads, tiny bodies and atrophied genitalia. I think it was in
        Playboy, Mad or some such magazine.

        Lloyd

        On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

        > This news story out of the U.K. has been making the rounds this
        > week. It
        > is about the future direction of human evolution, that has us
        > splitting
        > into two species. I can see no real value, except perhaps to
        > illustrate
        > that the media will print anything. It is also kind of funny, and a
        > bit
        > political.
        >
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm
        >
        > Bob

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
          It isn't just the BBC that apparently will report anything. I read the
          news release days ago in one of the local papers. I think it might have
          even been on the front page (which doesn't say much for what is supposed
          to be one of the better papers).

          It turns out that I had been hoodwinked a bit, which led to my earlier
          comment on SACC-L that the piece was kind of funny and a bit political.
          In the version I first read on-line, someone had tweaked it a bit to
          correlate the descendants of the tall, slim, healthy, intelligent, and
          creative upper genetic class with liberals and Democrats and the
          "dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures" were correlated with
          conservatives and Republicans. Those correlations were added with
          someone having a bit of fun.

          After thinking about it for awhile, I do see some value in the article.
          The next time a student asks me about the future direction of human
          evolution, I can let them know that a study reported by the BBC
          indicates that in the future, men will have bigger penises and women
          will have pert breasts and glossy hair. I won't really say this, but the
          article does.

          Bob

          >>> lloyd.miller@... 10/20/06 2:08 PM >>>