SACC Website

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 12, 2006
      Dear Members,

      We have heard only from a handful of SACC members who have sent in their
      contributions to the sections on member profiles, publications, and
      student opportunities. They will be sad looking pages if we don't get
      more input.

      Please take a few moments over the weekend to prepare a short parag.
      about yourself (where you teach, what courses, and research focus if
      applicable). If you are a retired SACC member, we still want to hear
      about what your contributions and what you specialized in.

      If you have any questions, you can email me at kauppa@.... Ann

    • Lori Barkley
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 12, 2006
        Hi all,
        I've been asked by a student why modern Homo sapiens were the only ones
        to develop a prominent chin. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me
        why... what is the evolutionary advantage? I seem to remember something
        about protecting the rest of the face....
        thanks!

        Lori Barkley
        Anthropology Instructor
        School of University Arts & Sciences
        Selkirk College
        301 Frank Beinder Way,
        Box 1200 Castlegar, BC V1N 3J1
        ph. 250-365-1319
        email: lbarkley@...
      • Renee Garcia
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 12, 2006
          Hi Lori,

          From a morphologists perspective the modern Homo sapiens' chin can be
          likened to the Suprainiac fossa of the Neandertals. No function, purely a
          trait that through genetic isolation became dominant in the population. It
          is a derived trait of modern humans like the fossa is to neandertals as
          well. This is supported by the lack of its presence in the fossil record
          prior to the appearance of a.m.H.s.. Also, there are no significant muscular
          attachments in this area that could cause the kind of demarcation of the
          mental eminence.

          Another factor of the variation in prominence is related to sexual
          dimorphism. Larger males will demonstrate more profound demarcation while
          more petite females less (scale 1-5, 5 being male).

          Although this explanation for its existence doesn't provide answers
          specifically as to why it developed, we know that is one of the unique
          features that distinguishes modern humans from any species of hominid.

          Hop e this helps.

          Renee

          Renee Garcia
          Saddleback College
          Dept. of Anthropology
          Universite de Bordeaux I
          Anthropologie Biologique

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 12, 2006
            I was under the impression that the chin was really just the simian arch
            moved to the outside of the jaw as the face became smaller. It is a
            buttress to distribute chewing forces. Anybody out there with more
            up-to-date biomechanics expertise?

            Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

            CCC Metro TLC

            216-987-3584

            FAX:707-924-2471

            ________________________________

            I've been asked by a student why modern Homo sapiens were the only ones
            to develop a prominent chin. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me
            why... what is the evolutionary advantage? I seem to remember something
            about protecting the rest of the face....
            thanks!

            Lori Barkley
            Anthropology Instructor
            School of University Arts & Sciences
            Selkirk College
            301 Frank Beinder Way,
            Box 1200 Castlegar, BC V1N 3J1
            ph. 250-365-1319
            email: lbarkley@... <mailto:lbarkley%40selkirk.ca>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 13, 2006
                I thought the question was why it developed in the first place and the
                evolutionary significance. Certainly, there is a biomechanic use for it
                but in terms of chewing force, neandertals and other hominids were much
                more efficient "chewers" than modern humans. The temporal muscles were
                significantly more developed than the puny versions we have. I'm not
                certain that the chin evolved based on a biological necessity, again
                the effectiveness in earlier species was there. We can certainly
                explain the morphology of this area biomechanically, but considering
                the morphologies that were occuring in other hominids of this period,
                from a paleoanthropological perspective, the appearance of this derived
                feature was rather sudden.

                I remember someone saying at a conference on neandertals in Japan years
                ago that the "Devil was in the mandible" in reference to its appearance
                in modern humans.

                A good case study that Darwin would have been interested in surely. Why
                did it appear? A small face, H. floresiensis has a small face, but no
                chin. Necessity? What in the environment of amHs could have made this
                protrusion (of varying degrees inter and intrapopulationally) become
                dominant in our species?

                Renee

                Renee Garcia
                Department of Anthropology
                Saddleback College

              • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 13, 2006
                  Hi Renee, Is Phil Stein available for this question. I thought he was our
                  resident expert.
                  I remember being told that the reduction of teeth size had much to do with
                  the protrusion of the chin. Bill Byrne, happily retired

                • Kent Morris

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 16, 2006
                      Please send your profiles, publications, and student fieldwork
                      opportunities to kauppa@... and Lloyd Miller.mcshi.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 17, 2006
                        Thanks to all of you who answered my chin question. It is so great to
                        have a list-serve of virtual colleagues to fill the void of not having
                        actual ones!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 10, 2010
                          Dear SACC Members,

                          I wanted to bring you up-to-date regarding our website. In the spring, SACC hired Colleen Popson, an anthropologist/educator/writer, who is a research collaborator in the Smithsonian's Department of Anthropology and part-time communications specialist for the government.

                          Thanks to Colleen, our website is now up-to-date and has greater visibility on the Internet. Please note that you can now access SACCivities online, there is a separate page for regional vice-presidents under About Us, and we have added all the recipients of SACC's Presidential Awards (if I've missed someone, please let me know). In addition, the full issue of Spring 2010 SACC Notes is now available online.

                          Colleen has begun training me on WordPress, and I am grateful for her patience. So please visit http://saccweb.net/ and let us know what you think.

                          P. S. We still would like more member profiles http://saccweb.net/?page_id=41

                          Best wishes,

                          Ann

                        • Kent Morris
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 10, 2010
                            Ann--how can I edit my profile?

                            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5441 (20100910) __________

                            http://www.eset.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 12, 2010
                              Send me your changes or new profile and I'll put them up. thanks. Ann