RE: [SACC-L] Archaeology Field Schools at Community Colleges

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
      I have loved reading about the growing depth and number of
      community-linked student research programs that we in SACC at community
      colleges are offering. Remember, there will be a session at AAA this
      Nov. chaired by SACC's Pres.-elect Rob Edwards on such programs. We
      should add an extended session at the next SACC meeting...below is a
      summary of the 'field research' program we offer at CCC. Sorry about
      the length, but attachments cannot be sent and there is something in
      there for people with different interests.

      Overview of the Center for Community Research at Cuyahoga Community

      The Center for Community Research (CCR) at Cuyahoga Community
      College (Tri-C), with laboratory at Metro Campus of Tri-C, and two field
      research sites in the central area of Cleveland, Ohio, carried out its
      mission for the twelfth consecutive year of collaborative,
      interdisciplinary, urban community-linked research. The following CCR
      staff provided the leadership in project, lab, camp, and outreach
      activities with the collaboration of a large faculty and
      inter-institutional network of regional support:
      * Dr. Mark Lewine, CCR Director, oversees all CCR activities
      locally and provides regional and national linkages as Anthropology
      Program Coordinator, Tri-C; V.P., Society for Anthropology in Community
      Colleges; national member, Anthropology Education Committee,
      representative for community colleges;
      * Alfred Lee, CCR Director of Research, formerly of the Cleveland
      Museum of Natural History, is the senior archaeologist and directs all
      field and lab research projects; Mr. Lee has taught students at all
      levels in Cleveland, including serving as faculty at both the Metro and
      Western Campuses of Tri-C, presenting research findings to students,
      faculty, administration at Tri-C Eastern Campus
      * Elizabeth Hoag, CCR Research Coordinator, recently joined the
      CCR and Tri-C with expertise in Historical Archaeology, Meso-American
      Archaeology, and Historical Educational Outreach as the former Vice
      President of the Connecticut Historical Society; Elizabeth Hoag,
      Research Coordinator, was approved with stipend as a participant in the
      NEH/OHS seminar for community college educators, "Mounds, Earthworks,
      and Pre-History of the Ohio Valley", 2006.
      * B. Monika Zsigmond, CCR Supervisor of Lab and Field Research;
      shares her time now with the CCR, National Park Service as field
      research project supervisor, and recently was hired as Project
      Supervisor for a large local engineering firm needing her expertise in
      field research projects;
      * Antoinette Swanson, CCR Coordinator of Lab and Field Research
      Collaborative Projects, was recently brought in to the CCR from Levin
      College of Urban Affairs where she is a graduate student and project
      intern; she works with Alfred Lee and Elizabeth Hoag on collaborative
      research projects such as the East High School Urban Archaeology and
      Community Museum Project, the Cozad-Bates Project, and the Shaker Lakes
      Field Research Education Project.

      Collaborative Partnerships

      The following organizations and institutions continue to be our most
      significant collaborative partners in providing underserved urban
      students with stimulating research opportunities in urban communities:
      1. Cuyahoga Community College: our host and central partner with
      whom we share our mission and which provides the community agency
      authority, laboratory for research and oversight for CCR project
      relationships and grants; Tri-C land purchased in our urban
      neighborhoods has provided us with a rich source of undeveloped and
      historically significant land use for our research project sites,
      particularly the Burkhart Site on the former St. Joseph Church property
      at E. 23rd and Woodland Ave., and the Long-Severance Site, at 34th and
      2. Cleveland Municipal School District: along with Tri-C is our
      core partner for student and faculty project participation in urban
      student research; key partners within CMSD have been the High Tech
      Academy housed at Tri-C and led by Ken Hale; John Marshall High School
      with core CCR high school faculty partner, Jach Schmoll; East High
      School partner for the current two year project discussed below; Camille
      Papagiannis, former Director of Social Studies at the CMSD
      3. Cleveland State University, Levin College of Urban Affairs:
      collaboration with the East High School project; research collaboration
      with faculty member Richard Klein, graduate student intern, Antoinette
      Swanson, undergraduate research intern, Edie Buchanan; Anthropology
      Department faculty member Peter Dunham
      4. Western Reserve Historical Society: collaboration on East High
      School project and for student research projects
      5. Cuyahoga County Archives: collaboration on student research
      6. Shaker Historical Society (SHS): CCR Director Lewine assisted
      the SHS in developing a new ten year Strategic Plan to include an
      interdisciplinary field research outreach program at the Shaker Lakes
      area for urban and eastern inner ring suburban high school and college
      students as well as citizen volunteers; Drs. Lewine and Bernatowicz
      presented educational programs for the SHS on CCR and other projects
      relating to local history; CCR Research Coordinator Hoag volunteered as
      Education Committee Chair for the SHS Board of Trustees; Lewine, Hoag
      and Bernatowicz were elected to the Board of Trustees for three year
      7. Kent State University: collaboration with oral history projects
      8. American Anthropological Society (AAA): continuing support for
      national network of community educational outreach projects through
      placement of CCR as national model on AAA website
      9. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC): provides
      network of community field research programs with CCR at Tri-C, CCR at
      Capilano College in Vancouver and Archaeology Field School at Cabrillo
      College in California as core programs; publishes CCR research papers in
      journal, "Teaching Anthropology".
      10. Smithsonian Institute: publishes and disseminates CCR project
      work as model in "Anthro Notes", journal for K-12 outreach to K-12

      Community Research Projects

      1. The "Community Linked Historical Research Project", funded by a
      grant from the Ohio Humanities Council (OHC), provided funds to support
      our core project work, urban student research projects with student
      participants and interns, and to support public dissemination through
      display of our project work to students and the community. This
      project, though granted a needed extension because of staff illness and
      the sudden hiring of our CCR Research Director as full-time lecturer at
      the Tri-C Western Campus along with the hiring of our Lab and Field
      Supervisor as Project Director for a regional CRM engineering firm, is
      now on schedule and nearing completion. As published on the OHC website,
      the following is an accurate concise summary of the work:
      * CCR faculty and staff continuously engage in archaeological
      research in our urban Cleveland community by overseeing hands-on work by
      CCC students, student interns and Cleveland area high school students.
      CCC have designed and are building a visual exhibit to share the
      information with area schools, in community agencies and on each of the
      three CCC branch campuses.
      * The new 'visual exhibit, or historical research display for the
      CCR, is designed so that it can be easily portable, and updated as
      information about the Center and its projects changes. Outreach plans
      for the display include setting it up at a number of different local
      venues, including local high schools, colleges, museums, historical
      societies, fairs and markets, Tri-C functions like open registration and
      convocation, and other locations in the community. This will allow us to
      increase our visibility in the community, and to promote our Center's
      student and civic educational programs and the research outcomes
      produced. Physically, it consists of two stackable folding panels
      (each 3' tall and 6' long, broken into three sections). When put
      together, they are folded into a 6' tall triangle. Information on the
      Center is displayed n this triangle through the use of plastic frames
      that adhere to the panels with Velcro fasteners. In addition to the
      display itself, there are also 7 Riker Mount display cases of varying
      size that will be used to house real historic and prehistoric artifacts
      that help the viewer visualize and understand the information in the
      display. The display content is broken down into three subjects areas:
      o First, we highlight the Center and its members, with a
      statement of our mission, the work that we do, and bios of the Tri-C
      staff and faculty that are involved with various projects.
      o Second, we show specific information on some of our recent CCR
      archaeological projects. We specifically focus on some of the Early
      Burkhart occupation materials, showing how archaeology is carried out,
      and how we learn and make inferences about the past based on
      archaeological materials. We focus on how we learned that soap making
      was taking place at the site, and how that related to early settlement
      and urbanization of Cleveland. This section of the display will be
      updated frequently as we undertake more projects and have new things to
      o Finally, we highlight some of the programming and opportunities
      that the center is offering, including relevant course offerings, field
      schools, internships, volunteer work, and research.
      o We have developed a CCR program outreach schedule to include the
      visual display for the latter part of 2006 and early 2007. Initially we
      will be demonstrating the work of the CCR first to the Tri-C community,
      including the Board of Trustees, central administration, then students,
      faculty, administrations and staff at all 3 campuses of the college. We
      then plan to include programs with the new display at our collaborating
      regional educational and research institutions: Western Reserve
      Historical Society, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State
      College of Urban Affairs, Cuyahoga County Archives, Kent State
      University, Cleveland Public Library, and others to be named later.

      2. "John Brown, the Barber", an archival and document research
      project, shows great promise for further work by a research team
      following the initial investigations by two of our student research
      interns. A current student research intern, with the help of a former
      student research intern, completed an archival and document research
      project on Brown and found that he was a little-known but highly
      significant contributor to Cleveland history in the early nineteenth
      century. Supervised by CCR/Tri-C historian and Urban Social Scientist
      Nina Turner and CCR/Tri-C historian David Bernatowicz, intern Edie
      Buchanan uncovered evidence of the contribution of Mr. Brown to public
      education for African-American children, to integrated education in
      Cleveland more than one hundred years before Brown vs. Board of
      education, to the earliest civil rights movement in the area, and began
      documentation of the significant role of the barber and the barber shop
      in civic culture in African-American and American society. As we
      disseminate her work, as well as the work of her student research
      mentor, Ray Videc, we are finding many students interested in further
      work on this project. Mr. Videc, in a letter to the CCR and to his Law
      School Admissions Office, cited his work with the CCR on this project as
      the seminal experience that has resulted in his progress as a student
      and his current acceptance to Law School following cum laude
      undergraduate work at the Levin School of Urban Affairs. We are
      currently looking for an appropriate student in a regional graduate
      school in History to conduct a dissertation research project on this
      subject with our CCR student interns and student researchers
      participating in the research team process.

      3. Our core research projects, lab and field historical archaeology
      research studies of our two current sites: the Burkhart Site at E. 23rd
      and Woodland, and the Long-Severance Site at E. 34th and Woodland, have
      involved many urban students from local junior and senior high schools
      as well as Tri-C and local area colleges and universities in their first
      experience with primary and secondary research, with actual field and
      lab research techniques and methods through hands-on, supervised
      activities on site and in our lab. The Burkhart Site, through mainly lab
      processing and analyzing of artifacts by students with research interns
      supervised by CCR professional staff, has yielded two occupations in our
      preliminary findings (see attached) . An earlier occupation (circa
      1830), which included a significant finding of soap manufacturing from
      primary materials on site. The larger finding of a documented
      habitation by a Prussian immigrant family from the 1850's through the
      end of the nineteenth century, the Burkharts, demonstrated domestic
      living patterns with diagnostic social significance through analysis of
      material artifacts indicating social strata, ethnicity, level of
      urbanization, diet, transportation patterns, drug use, commercial
      enterprise, and more. Students exposed to this project over the year
      included twenty eight high school students from one class at John
      Marshall High School in September, 2005, nineteen students from another
      class at John Marshall High School in January 2006. Both classes were
      not only exposed to our historical archaeology projects, but had both
      Research Director Lee and Marshall H.S. social science teacher Jach
      Schmoll gav the students their first exposure to other field research
      sites and a variety of research methods. Our students, volunteers f rom
      the community and selected Tri-C student research interns worked with
      our lab and field research supervisor, Monika Zsigmond to prepare the
      lab materials and assist Research Director Lee in artifact analysis and
      presentation of materials analyzed so that student groups could learn
      effectively in the lab. The high quality of their work was proven not
      only by the student participants and faculty reactions, but by the
      hiring of Ms. Zsigmond by both the National Park Service and the CRM
      Engineering firm.

      * One-to-two day exposures to both lab and field project work were
      experienced by large numbers of anthropology, history and urban study
      students from classes taught by Professors Lewine, Bernatowicz and Hoag
      at Tri-C Metro Campus. Dr. Salem, Case Professor of 2004 in Ohio in
      History and Womens' Studies, who ordinarily would have added her
      students, was on sabbatical leave. All told, two hundred and seventy six
      students from Dr. Lewine's classes were exposed to CCR research projects
      and the research process conducted for them, as well as eighty three
      students from Prof. Berntowicz history classes. Professor Lee involved
      his three hundred and thirty seven students in anthropology and
      archaeology classes at Western Campus in the CCR research projects
      through integration of them in his classes. Few, however, were able to
      be on-site or actually visit the lab due to scheduling and travel
      issues. We hope in the future to provide sites of a similar era in
      Cleveland history in Berea, Ohio, very near the Western Campus. Eastern
      Campus students have not participated often, a few a year sent by
      colleagues after presentations by CCR staff on their campus, but we plan
      to involve them in our future work with the Shaker Historical Society
      near that campus, also in the same time frame.

      * The CCR provided critical lab facilities and professional
      archaeological research leadership by CCR staff for the "Urban
      Archaeology Dig Project", a collaborative project involving East High
      School in Cleveland, Levin College of Urban Affairs of Cleveland State
      University, the Western Reserve Historical Society, and the Cuyahoga
      County Archives. Support for this two year project was provided
      initially by the Discovery Channel then by the Cleveland Municipal
      School District. In both years, the primary project lead was East High
      School and its dynamic social studies teacher along with the Director of
      Education of the Western Reserve Historical Society. As in all these
      projects, collaboration is necessary among many agencies and the CCR
      provided the professional archaeological expertise, supervision, and
      instruction. Our research staff also provided leadership in the
      development of the service learning project, "Bringing Our Neighborhood
      Together", as they helped the students and faculty of East High produce
      the local historical neighborhood museum project. Our CCR lab
      facilities were essential to the second year of the program. We are
      looking forward to adapting this successful model project to other high
      schools in the region. Planning for this has begun with the new John
      Hay High School administration and with the Director of Social Studies
      in the CMSD.

      4. The "Cozad-Bates House Project" is a new and exciting historic
      restoration and educational project involving new partnerships in the
      University Circle area. Our main participation will be the educational
      program and field school development for students and citizens as well
      as involvement by our students and interns in collaborating with the
      community agencies involved with the restoration. This house is one of
      the oldest pre-Civil War structures in the area and the CCR has been
      doing collaborative planning on keeping the structure as a site of
      educational and historical worth for our region. The CCR Research
      Coordinator, Elizabeth Hoag, has taken the lead on this effort and has
      established strong collaborative ties with the community organizational
      leadership, particularly with Joan Southgate of Restore Cleveland Hope.
      University CircleInc., will be a central partner in this effort. Anne
      Swanson, our CCR/CSU Urban Affairs field research supervisor has been
      working on the planning team with Ms. Hoag on this project.

      Community Outreach

      1. The eighth annual Youth Outreach Archaeology Summer Camp in 2006
      involved the usual two sessions during July. For the first time,
      advanced marketing yielded an overflow of participants from all over
      Cuyahoga County and two international visitors, in total, almost twice
      as many youth as ever before. Fifteen students attended the first week,
      directed toward High School aged pupils. All fifteen continued their
      work through the entire week, despite interruptions from heavy rains on
      the first day and occasionally thereafter and the need to do the hard
      work of opening new test units as a maintenance crew had filled in our
      prepared test units. Lab and computer research methods were taught
      during the bad weather periods, thus giving the participants a broader
      educational experience which they appreciated. Two of the participants,
      visitors from Jordan, expressed the desire to continue their field
      experience in the future, both with the CCR and back in Jordan. The
      second session enrolled twelve though six were absent from the first
      day. The remaining six were highly enthusiastic and willing
      participants in all the research activities. They reaped the benefits
      of the cleared units from the first week, and were delighted to make
      discoveries of historic materials in their units.

      With a surprise discovery of flint tool fragments from prehistoric
      habitation, we submitted a press release on behalf of the CCR and Tri-C
      to the media, and contacted Jeff Maynor, an NBC television news anchor
      who has expressed interest in our activities in the past. We received
      prime time evening news coverage by Channel 3, highlighting the unique
      nature of our Center's research work and our current prehistoric find on
      the site. Four regional newspapers also published very positive stories
      highlighting our students efforts and the Center's program which offers
      this unique opportunity to students.