Re: [SACC-L] Archaeology Field Schools at Community Colleges

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
      Bob, I'm not particularly interested in archaeology field schools but
      read it anyway and enjoyed the hell out of it! How 'bout I save this
      for some time when an AN column is due and I have nothing else...?
      Lloyd

      On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

      > Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
      > archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
      > again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
      > now.

    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
        Wow...that is some project you've got going there. I wish you every
        success with it and hope to get a first-hand view some day (maybe the
        next time SACC meets in Florida?). I think you certainly have all the
        right ingredients (eg. local, historic, collaboration, and a passionate
        archaeologist). I'm almost salivating at the idea that the heritage park
        will include a prehistoric village with a shell midden, huts, and kiln,
        providing an excellent opportunity for experimental archaeology.

        Bob

        >>> wenzelj@... 10/04/06 12:18 PM >>>
        Thanks to everybody who provided feedback to me regarding field
        schools. I am compiling all of this information into a folder to
        reference for our own program development.

        We are fortunate at Brevard Community College to be able to conduct our
        archaeology field school literally in our own backyard along the Indian
        River at the Titusville Campus. Our Spring field school will require
        students to participate at least every two weeks for three hours looking
        for a site believed to be "Paces Landing"- a 19th Century Seminole
        Indian trading post. We are not sure if the site has been demolished by
        rail and utilities projects but that is certianly something we will
        investigate.

        Our students will be working along with Indian River Anthropological
        Society, a very active avocational group led by an RPA. IRAS website:
        http://www.nbbd.com/npr/archaeology-iras/

        In addition to the Paces Landing site, our county (Brevard) is
        developing a Heritage Park in back of our campus with restored historic
        structures that students will have the opportunity to work on (for
        photographs: http://www.nbbd.com/npr/preservation/index.html). In
        addition to the historic trail and a living history garden (with citrus,
        pineapples, cotton, etc), accross a bridge on to a minor island we will
        reconstruct a pre-historic village with shell middens, thatched huts and
        possibly a pottery kiln where students can get involved in experimental
        archaeology!

        Our campus is also applying to become a regional host center for the
        new Florida Public Archaeology Network, where if we are approved we
        would become the only community college in our state to be involved in
        such a project (other regional centers in Florida are predominately
        state universities or their affiliated museums). Site:
        http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/ We are hoping that one of the
        reconstructed homes on the historic trail will serve as an FPAN office
        and archaeology/history museum.

        While many of these projects have been discussed and planned for quite
        some time, everything is suddenly coming full steam ahead! I am really
        exited about the opportunities for archaeology at our community college
        and I hope, through educational outreach, we may be able to provide
        opportunities to you all and your students someday in the future to
        experience history and archaeology first hand, right at a communty
        college!

        Jason

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
          I have loved reading about the growing depth and number of
          community-linked student research programs that we in SACC at community
          colleges are offering. Remember, there will be a session at AAA this
          Nov. chaired by SACC's Pres.-elect Rob Edwards on such programs. We
          should add an extended session at the next SACC meeting...below is a
          summary of the 'field research' program we offer at CCC. Sorry about
          the length, but attachments cannot be sent and there is something in
          there for people with different interests.

          Overview of the Center for Community Research at Cuyahoga Community
          College

          The Center for Community Research (CCR) at Cuyahoga Community
          College (Tri-C), with laboratory at Metro Campus of Tri-C, and two field
          research sites in the central area of Cleveland, Ohio, carried out its
          mission for the twelfth consecutive year of collaborative,
          interdisciplinary, urban community-linked research. The following CCR
          staff provided the leadership in project, lab, camp, and outreach
          activities with the collaboration of a large faculty and
          inter-institutional network of regional support:
          * Dr. Mark Lewine, CCR Director, oversees all CCR activities
          locally and provides regional and national linkages as Anthropology
          Program Coordinator, Tri-C; V.P., Society for Anthropology in Community
          Colleges; national member, Anthropology Education Committee,
          representative for community colleges;
          * Alfred Lee, CCR Director of Research, formerly of the Cleveland
          Museum of Natural History, is the senior archaeologist and directs all
          field and lab research projects; Mr. Lee has taught students at all
          levels in Cleveland, including serving as faculty at both the Metro and
          Western Campuses of Tri-C, presenting research findings to students,
          faculty, administration at Tri-C Eastern Campus
          * Elizabeth Hoag, CCR Research Coordinator, recently joined the
          CCR and Tri-C with expertise in Historical Archaeology, Meso-American
          Archaeology, and Historical Educational Outreach as the former Vice
          President of the Connecticut Historical Society; Elizabeth Hoag,
          Research Coordinator, was approved with stipend as a participant in the
          NEH/OHS seminar for community college educators, "Mounds, Earthworks,
          and Pre-History of the Ohio Valley", 2006.
          * B. Monika Zsigmond, CCR Supervisor of Lab and Field Research;
          shares her time now with the CCR, National Park Service as field
          research project supervisor, and recently was hired as Project
          Supervisor for a large local engineering firm needing her expertise in
          field research projects;
          * Antoinette Swanson, CCR Coordinator of Lab and Field Research
          Collaborative Projects, was recently brought in to the CCR from Levin
          College of Urban Affairs where she is a graduate student and project
          intern; she works with Alfred Lee and Elizabeth Hoag on collaborative
          research projects such as the East High School Urban Archaeology and
          Community Museum Project, the Cozad-Bates Project, and the Shaker Lakes
          Field Research Education Project.

          Collaborative Partnerships

          The following organizations and institutions continue to be our most
          significant collaborative partners in providing underserved urban
          students with stimulating research opportunities in urban communities:
          1. Cuyahoga Community College: our host and central partner with
          whom we share our mission and which provides the community agency
          authority, laboratory for research and oversight for CCR project
          relationships and grants; Tri-C land purchased in our urban
          neighborhoods has provided us with a rich source of undeveloped and
          historically significant land use for our research project sites,
          particularly the Burkhart Site on the former St. Joseph Church property
          at E. 23rd and Woodland Ave., and the Long-Severance Site, at 34th and
          Woodland.
          2. Cleveland Municipal School District: along with Tri-C is our
          core partner for student and faculty project participation in urban
          student research; key partners within CMSD have been the High Tech
          Academy housed at Tri-C and led by Ken Hale; John Marshall High School
          with core CCR high school faculty partner, Jach Schmoll; East High
          School partner for the current two year project discussed below; Camille
          Papagiannis, former Director of Social Studies at the CMSD
          3. Cleveland State University, Levin College of Urban Affairs:
          collaboration with the East High School project; research collaboration
          with faculty member Richard Klein, graduate student intern, Antoinette
          Swanson, undergraduate research intern, Edie Buchanan; Anthropology
          Department faculty member Peter Dunham
          4. Western Reserve Historical Society: collaboration on East High
          School project and for student research projects
          5. Cuyahoga County Archives: collaboration on student research
          projects
          6. Shaker Historical Society (SHS): CCR Director Lewine assisted
          the SHS in developing a new ten year Strategic Plan to include an
          interdisciplinary field research outreach program at the Shaker Lakes
          area for urban and eastern inner ring suburban high school and college
          students as well as citizen volunteers; Drs. Lewine and Bernatowicz
          presented educational programs for the SHS on CCR and other projects
          relating to local history; CCR Research Coordinator Hoag volunteered as
          Education Committee Chair for the SHS Board of Trustees; Lewine, Hoag
          and Bernatowicz were elected to the Board of Trustees for three year
          terms
          7. Kent State University: collaboration with oral history projects
          8. American Anthropological Society (AAA): continuing support for
          national network of community educational outreach projects through
          placement of CCR as national model on AAA website
          9. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC): provides
          network of community field research programs with CCR at Tri-C, CCR at
          Capilano College in Vancouver and Archaeology Field School at Cabrillo
          College in California as core programs; publishes CCR research papers in
          journal, "Teaching Anthropology".
          10. Smithsonian Institute: publishes and disseminates CCR project
          work as model in "Anthro Notes", journal for K-12 outreach to K-12
          faculty.

          Community Research Projects

          1. The "Community Linked Historical Research Project", funded by a
          grant from the Ohio Humanities Council (OHC), provided funds to support
          our core project work, urban student research projects with student
          participants and interns, and to support public dissemination through
          display of our project work to students and the community. This
          project, though granted a needed extension because of staff illness and
          the sudden hiring of our CCR Research Director as full-time lecturer at
          the Tri-C Western Campus along with the hiring of our Lab and Field
          Supervisor as Project Director for a regional CRM engineering firm, is
          now on schedule and nearing completion. As published on the OHC website,
          the following is an accurate concise summary of the work:
          * CCR faculty and staff continuously engage in archaeological
          research in our urban Cleveland community by overseeing hands-on work by
          CCC students, student interns and Cleveland area high school students.
          CCC have designed and are building a visual exhibit to share the
          information with area schools, in community agencies and on each of the
          three CCC branch campuses.
          * The new 'visual exhibit, or historical research display for the
          CCR, is designed so that it can be easily portable, and updated as
          information about the Center and its projects changes. Outreach plans
          for the display include setting it up at a number of different local
          venues, including local high schools, colleges, museums, historical
          societies, fairs and markets, Tri-C functions like open registration and
          convocation, and other locations in the community. This will allow us to
          increase our visibility in the community, and to promote our Center's
          student and civic educational programs and the research outcomes
          produced. Physically, it consists of two stackable folding panels
          (each 3' tall and 6' long, broken into three sections). When put
          together, they are folded into a 6' tall triangle. Information on the
          Center is displayed n this triangle through the use of plastic frames
          that adhere to the panels with Velcro fasteners. In addition to the
          display itself, there are also 7 Riker Mount display cases of varying
          size that will be used to house real historic and prehistoric artifacts
          that help the viewer visualize and understand the information in the
          display. The display content is broken down into three subjects areas:
          o First, we highlight the Center and its members, with a
          statement of our mission, the work that we do, and bios of the Tri-C
          staff and faculty that are involved with various projects.
          o Second, we show specific information on some of our recent CCR
          archaeological projects. We specifically focus on some of the Early
          Burkhart occupation materials, showing how archaeology is carried out,
          and how we learn and make inferences about the past based on
          archaeological materials. We focus on how we learned that soap making
          was taking place at the site, and how that related to early settlement
          and urbanization of Cleveland. This section of the display will be
          updated frequently as we undertake more projects and have new things to
          report.
          o Finally, we highlight some of the programming and opportunities
          that the center is offering, including relevant course offerings, field
          schools, internships, volunteer work, and research.
          o We have developed a CCR program outreach schedule to include the
          visual display for the latter part of 2006 and early 2007. Initially we
          will be demonstrating the work of the CCR first to the Tri-C community,
          including the Board of Trustees, central administration, then students,
          faculty, administrations and staff at all 3 campuses of the college. We
          then plan to include programs with the new display at our collaborating
          regional educational and research institutions: Western Reserve
          Historical Society, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State
          College of Urban Affairs, Cuyahoga County Archives, Kent State
          University, Cleveland Public Library, and others to be named later.

          2. "John Brown, the Barber", an archival and document research
          project, shows great promise for further work by a research team
          following the initial investigations by two of our student research
          interns. A current student research intern, with the help of a former
          student research intern, completed an archival and document research
          project on Brown and found that he was a little-known but highly
          significant contributor to Cleveland history in the early nineteenth
          century. Supervised by CCR/Tri-C historian and Urban Social Scientist
          Nina Turner and CCR/Tri-C historian David Bernatowicz, intern Edie
          Buchanan uncovered evidence of the contribution of Mr. Brown to public
          education for African-American children, to integrated education in
          Cleveland more than one hundred years before Brown vs. Board of
          education, to the earliest civil rights movement in the area, and began
          documentation of the significant role of the barber and the barber shop
          in civic culture in African-American and American society. As we
          disseminate her work, as well as the work of her student research
          mentor, Ray Videc, we are finding many students interested in further
          work on this project. Mr. Videc, in a letter to the CCR and to his Law
          School Admissions Office, cited his work with the CCR on this project as
          the seminal experience that has resulted in his progress as a student
          and his current acceptance to Law School following cum laude
          undergraduate work at the Levin School of Urban Affairs. We are
          currently looking for an appropriate student in a regional graduate
          school in History to conduct a dissertation research project on this
          subject with our CCR student interns and student researchers
          participating in the research team process.

          3. Our core research projects, lab and field historical archaeology
          research studies of our two current sites: the Burkhart Site at E. 23rd
          and Woodland, and the Long-Severance Site at E. 34th and Woodland, have
          involved many urban students from local junior and senior high schools
          as well as Tri-C and local area colleges and universities in their first
          experience with primary and secondary research, with actual field and
          lab research techniques and methods through hands-on, supervised
          activities on site and in our lab. The Burkhart Site, through mainly lab
          processing and analyzing of artifacts by students with research interns
          supervised by CCR professional staff, has yielded two occupations in our
          preliminary findings (see attached) . An earlier occupation (circa
          1830), which included a significant finding of soap manufacturing from
          primary materials on site. The larger finding of a documented
          habitation by a Prussian immigrant family from the 1850's through the
          end of the nineteenth century, the Burkharts, demonstrated domestic
          living patterns with diagnostic social significance through analysis of
          material artifacts indicating social strata, ethnicity, level of
          urbanization, diet, transportation patterns, drug use, commercial
          enterprise, and more. Students exposed to this project over the year
          included twenty eight high school students from one class at John
          Marshall High School in September, 2005, nineteen students from another
          class at John Marshall High School in January 2006. Both classes were
          not only exposed to our historical archaeology projects, but had both
          Research Director Lee and Marshall H.S. social science teacher Jach
          Schmoll gav the students their first exposure to other field research
          sites and a variety of research methods. Our students, volunteers f rom
          the community and selected Tri-C student research interns worked with
          our lab and field research supervisor, Monika Zsigmond to prepare the
          lab materials and assist Research Director Lee in artifact analysis and
          presentation of materials analyzed so that student groups could learn
          effectively in the lab. The high quality of their work was proven not
          only by the student participants and faculty reactions, but by the
          hiring of Ms. Zsigmond by both the National Park Service and the CRM
          Engineering firm.

          * One-to-two day exposures to both lab and field project work were
          experienced by large numbers of anthropology, history and urban study
          students from classes taught by Professors Lewine, Bernatowicz and Hoag
          at Tri-C Metro Campus. Dr. Salem, Case Professor of 2004 in Ohio in
          History and Womens' Studies, who ordinarily would have added her
          students, was on sabbatical leave. All told, two hundred and seventy six
          students from Dr. Lewine's classes were exposed to CCR research projects
          and the research process conducted for them, as well as eighty three
          students from Prof. Berntowicz history classes. Professor Lee involved
          his three hundred and thirty seven students in anthropology and
          archaeology classes at Western Campus in the CCR research projects
          through integration of them in his classes. Few, however, were able to
          be on-site or actually visit the lab due to scheduling and travel
          issues. We hope in the future to provide sites of a similar era in
          Cleveland history in Berea, Ohio, very near the Western Campus. Eastern
          Campus students have not participated often, a few a year sent by
          colleagues after presentations by CCR staff on their campus, but we plan
          to involve them in our future work with the Shaker Historical Society
          near that campus, also in the same time frame.

          * The CCR provided critical lab facilities and professional
          archaeological research leadership by CCR staff for the "Urban
          Archaeology Dig Project", a collaborative project involving East High
          School in Cleveland, Levin College of Urban Affairs of Cleveland State
          University, the Western Reserve Historical Society, and the Cuyahoga
          County Archives. Support for this two year project was provided
          initially by the Discovery Channel then by the Cleveland Municipal
          School District. In both years, the primary project lead was East High
          School and its dynamic social studies teacher along with the Director of
          Education of the Western Reserve Historical Society. As in all these
          projects, collaboration is necessary among many agencies and the CCR
          provided the professional archaeological expertise, supervision, and
          instruction. Our research staff also provided leadership in the
          development of the service learning project, "Bringing Our Neighborhood
          Together", as they helped the students and faculty of East High produce
          the local historical neighborhood museum project. Our CCR lab
          facilities were essential to the second year of the program. We are
          looking forward to adapting this successful model project to other high
          schools in the region. Planning for this has begun with the new John
          Hay High School administration and with the Director of Social Studies
          in the CMSD.

          4. The "Cozad-Bates House Project" is a new and exciting historic
          restoration and educational project involving new partnerships in the
          University Circle area. Our main participation will be the educational
          program and field school development for students and citizens as well
          as involvement by our students and interns in collaborating with the
          community agencies involved with the restoration. This house is one of
          the oldest pre-Civil War structures in the area and the CCR has been
          doing collaborative planning on keeping the structure as a site of
          educational and historical worth for our region. The CCR Research
          Coordinator, Elizabeth Hoag, has taken the lead on this effort and has
          established strong collaborative ties with the community organizational
          leadership, particularly with Joan Southgate of Restore Cleveland Hope.
          University CircleInc., will be a central partner in this effort. Anne
          Swanson, our CCR/CSU Urban Affairs field research supervisor has been
          working on the planning team with Ms. Hoag on this project.

          Community Outreach

          1. The eighth annual Youth Outreach Archaeology Summer Camp in 2006
          involved the usual two sessions during July. For the first time,
          advanced marketing yielded an overflow of participants from all over
          Cuyahoga County and two international visitors, in total, almost twice
          as many youth as ever before. Fifteen students attended the first week,
          directed toward High School aged pupils. All fifteen continued their
          work through the entire week, despite interruptions from heavy rains on
          the first day and occasionally thereafter and the need to do the hard
          work of opening new test units as a maintenance crew had filled in our
          prepared test units. Lab and computer research methods were taught
          during the bad weather periods, thus giving the participants a broader
          educational experience which they appreciated. Two of the participants,
          visitors from Jordan, expressed the desire to continue their field
          experience in the future, both with the CCR and back in Jordan. The
          second session enrolled twelve though six were absent from the first
          day. The remaining six were highly enthusiastic and willing
          participants in all the research activities. They reaped the benefits
          of the cleared units from the first week, and were delighted to make
          discoveries of historic materials in their units.

          2.
          With a surprise discovery of flint tool fragments from prehistoric
          habitation, we submitted a press release on behalf of the CCR and Tri-C
          to the media, and contacted Jeff Maynor, an NBC television news anchor
          who has expressed interest in our activities in the past. We received
          prime time evening news coverage by Channel 3, highlighting the unique
          nature of our Center's research work and our current prehistoric find on
          the site. Four regional newspapers also published very positive stories
          highlighting our students efforts and the Center's program which offers
          this unique opportunity to students.

          I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For
          a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to
          other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way
          to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a
          community college setting including everything from time to do research
          and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and
          drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have
          been worked out in various programs.
          To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City
          College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't
          know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

          Jill

          Jill Minar, Ph.d.
          Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography Fresno City
          College
          1101 E. University Avenue
          Fresno, CA 93741

          >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
          >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC
          Notes'
          >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues
          of
          >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
          >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
          >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
          >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
          >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
          >copies in the mail to you.
          >
          >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
          >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings
          this
          >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give
          this
          >a miss.
          >
          >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in
          my
          >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
          >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you
          so
          >desire.
          >
          >Bob

          >Greetings,
          >
          >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
          >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
          >Florida.
          >
          >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
          >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
          >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jason Wenzel
          >wenzelj@...
          >

          >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW