Re: [SACC-L] Archaeology Field Schools at Community Colleges

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
      Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
      archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
      again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
      now.

      I think I've got a pretty successful archaeology field school program
      going, at least judging by the numbers...where we get far more
      applicants than we can accomodate every year. Other colleges in my
      region also offer field schools, but are often cancelled due to low
      enrolments. I think the keys are this:

      PROPOSING A ZERO BUDGET. When I proposed the current incarnation of the
      field school back in 1999, the deal was that it wouldn't cost the
      college anything, except in reduced total tuition fees (our regular
      class size is 35, but the field school is 15). Because we didn't have
      any excavation equipment, the first field season was all survey. Over
      the years I've been able to accumulate quite a bit of field and lab
      equipment by borrowing from other departments (eg. geography), making
      annual capital purchase requests, and burying expenses in departmental
      and divisional budgets. I borrow a van to transport equipment from one
      of the very few areas of the college with a vehicle (ie. horticulture),
      which doesn't happen to need it during the weeks of the field school.
      I've now gone through three deans, and the current one just decided to
      provide an extra several hundred dollars a year for the field school
      (without me even asking).

      KEEPING IT LOCAL. When I say local, I mean really local, close to the
      college. My students are required to get to the site of the fieldwork on
      their own. For the past couple of field seasons, this has meant that
      once they get as far as they can by car or public transit, they still
      have a one-hour walk each way. This keeps the transportation costs way
      down. Keeping it local also plays to local media. I've got plenty of
      local media coverage without asking. If you are doing archaeology
      locally, the media will find you. Of course, the college administration
      always loves this. Keeping it local also makes it easy for public
      outreach and participation.
      Keeping it local also means that students can often maintain jobs. Over
      the past seven field seasons, about half of my students have been able
      to keep their jobs as long as they were in the evenings and on weekends.

      This fits well with the typical college demographic of non-traditional
      students. More by coincidence than design, six out of the past seven
      years my field school has been able to include mothers recently
      returned to college, and more than half have been single moms.

      KEEPING IT HISTORIC. I've found that historic archaeology works really
      well for a college field school. For starters, you don't have to budget
      for things like radiocarbon dating. At least in my region, keeping the
      focus on the late 19th and early 20th century means I don't have to get
      government permits, write reports for the goverment, or get permission
      from the local First Nations. I think historic also works really well
      for the students and visitors. It is usually much easier to identify and
      interpret historic artifacts and features.

      WILLINGNESS TO SPEND THE EXTRA TIME AND ENERGY. I don't think there is
      an easy way to get around the extra time and energy it takes to run a
      field school. At least for me, the trade-off is that I get to do field
      archaeology, real dirt archaeology. It does take more time and energy
      than teaching a regular course, but the trade-off can be worth it. It
      seems that for the past few years, around January and Februrary when I
      start working out the details of the upcoming field season, I start to
      grumble a bit about all the work involved, but one of my colleagues
      invariably reminds me that once I'm in the field I enjoy it so, so much.
      Then I stop grumbling and realize that I'm pretty darned lucky to be
      able to teach and do field archaeology.

      COLLABORATIONS. Collaborate, Collaborate, Collaborate. I think college
      administrators love to see collaborations and it makes it easier for the
      archaeologists as well. In my own case, I collaborate with a
      quasi-governmental organization that provides some logistical support,
      including letting me just plug into their existing public education
      programming (eg. public lectures, K-12 school activities, kids summer
      day camps, and public excavation days). Collaborating with college
      colleagues can work as well. For example, two different physical
      geographers collaborate on the mapping and soils analysis. I've also had
      a historian give a lecture on local history on the site where we were
      excavating. I've also been collaborating with an archaeology Ph.D
      student doing local historic archaeology. Dozens of artifacts and
      photographs from our excavations are currently on exhibit at a local
      museum.

      DON'T TRY TO COMPETE WITH THE UNIVERSITIES, BUT GIVE THEM VALUE-ADDED
      EXPERIENCE. There are two universities in my region with quite strong
      archaeology programs, including field schools. I don't try to compete
      with them. I promote the college field school more as a 'sampler' in
      field archaeology. It is still real archaeology, but with basic
      equipment like compasses and tape measures. As I've learned from Mark
      Lewine, who directs an archaeology program at Cuhayoga Community College
      in Ohio, I alway try to give the college students some 'value-added'
      experience, something they are probably not going to get in the first
      two years at a university. The field experience fits this well.
      Sometimes this can be even further enhanced with volunteer opportunities
      associated with the project. Something I've learned from Rob Edwards and
      his archaeology program at Cabrillo in California is to teach the
      students a good work ethic. I may not be able to teach them how to use a
      $15,000 'total station', but I can let them know the importance of
      showing up on time and ready to excavate. I've had many field school
      students who are now making their careers in archaeology. Those I've
      kept in touch with tell me that the value-added experience of having
      completed field work before transferring to unviversity has served them
      very well in their academic studies, as has the reputation of the field
      school requiring an excellent work ethic in gaining paid and volunteer
      work on other field projects.

      Bob Muckle

      >>> cjminar@... 09/29/06 5:39 PM >>>

      Hi Bob and all..

      I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For
      a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to
      other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way
      to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a
      community college setting including everything from time to do research
      and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and
      drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have
      been worked out in various programs.
      To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City
      College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't
      know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

      Jill

      Jill Minar, Ph.d.
      Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography
      Fresno City College
      1101 E. University Avenue
      Fresno, CA 93741

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
        Bob, I'm not particularly interested in archaeology field schools but
        read it anyway and enjoyed the hell out of it! How 'bout I save this
        for some time when an AN column is due and I have nothing else...?
        Lloyd

        On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

        > Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
        > archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
        > again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
        > now.

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
          Wow...that is some project you've got going there. I wish you every
          success with it and hope to get a first-hand view some day (maybe the
          next time SACC meets in Florida?). I think you certainly have all the
          right ingredients (eg. local, historic, collaboration, and a passionate
          archaeologist). I'm almost salivating at the idea that the heritage park
          will include a prehistoric village with a shell midden, huts, and kiln,
          providing an excellent opportunity for experimental archaeology.

          Bob

          >>> wenzelj@... 10/04/06 12:18 PM >>>
          Thanks to everybody who provided feedback to me regarding field
          schools. I am compiling all of this information into a folder to
          reference for our own program development.

          We are fortunate at Brevard Community College to be able to conduct our
          archaeology field school literally in our own backyard along the Indian
          River at the Titusville Campus. Our Spring field school will require
          students to participate at least every two weeks for three hours looking
          for a site believed to be "Paces Landing"- a 19th Century Seminole
          Indian trading post. We are not sure if the site has been demolished by
          rail and utilities projects but that is certianly something we will
          investigate.

          Our students will be working along with Indian River Anthropological
          Society, a very active avocational group led by an RPA. IRAS website:
          http://www.nbbd.com/npr/archaeology-iras/

          In addition to the Paces Landing site, our county (Brevard) is
          developing a Heritage Park in back of our campus with restored historic
          structures that students will have the opportunity to work on (for
          photographs: http://www.nbbd.com/npr/preservation/index.html). In
          addition to the historic trail and a living history garden (with citrus,
          pineapples, cotton, etc), accross a bridge on to a minor island we will
          reconstruct a pre-historic village with shell middens, thatched huts and
          possibly a pottery kiln where students can get involved in experimental
          archaeology!

          Our campus is also applying to become a regional host center for the
          new Florida Public Archaeology Network, where if we are approved we
          would become the only community college in our state to be involved in
          such a project (other regional centers in Florida are predominately
          state universities or their affiliated museums). Site:
          http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/ We are hoping that one of the
          reconstructed homes on the historic trail will serve as an FPAN office
          and archaeology/history museum.

          While many of these projects have been discussed and planned for quite
          some time, everything is suddenly coming full steam ahead! I am really
          exited about the opportunities for archaeology at our community college
          and I hope, through educational outreach, we may be able to provide
          opportunities to you all and your students someday in the future to
          experience history and archaeology first hand, right at a communty
          college!

          Jason

          ________________________________

          I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For
          a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to
          other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way
          to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a
          community college setting including everything from time to do research
          and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and
          drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have
          been worked out in various programs.
          To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City
          College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't
          know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

          Jill

          Jill Minar, Ph.d.
          Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography
          Fresno City College
          1101 E. University Avenue
          Fresno, CA 93741

          >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
          >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC
          Notes'
          >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues
          of
          >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
          >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
          >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
          >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
          >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
          >copies in the mail to you.
          >
          >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
          >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings
          this
          >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give
          this
          >a miss.
          >
          >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in
          my
          >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
          >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you
          so
          >desire.
          >
          >Bob

          >Greetings,
          >
          >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
          >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
          >Florida.
          >
          >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
          >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
          >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jason Wenzel
          >wenzelj@...
          >

          >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
            I have loved reading about the growing depth and number of
            community-linked student research programs that we in SACC at community
            colleges are offering. Remember, there will be a session at AAA this
            Nov. chaired by SACC's Pres.-elect Rob Edwards on such programs. We
            should add an extended session at the next SACC meeting...below is a
            summary of the 'field research' program we offer at CCC. Sorry about
            the length, but attachments cannot be sent and there is something in
            there for people with different interests.

            Overview of the Center for Community Research at Cuyahoga Community
            College

            The Center for Community Research (CCR) at Cuyahoga Community
            College (Tri-C), with laboratory at Metro Campus of Tri-C, and two field
            research sites in the central area of Cleveland, Ohio, carried out its
            mission for the twelfth consecutive year of collaborative,
            interdisciplinary, urban community-linked research. The following CCR
            staff provided the leadership in project, lab, camp, and outreach
            activities with the collaboration of a large faculty and
            inter-institutional network of regional support:
            * Dr. Mark Lewine, CCR Director, oversees all CCR activities
            locally and provides regional and national linkages as Anthropology
            Program Coordinator, Tri-C; V.P., Society for Anthropology in Community
            Colleges; national member, Anthropology Education Committee,
            representative for community colleges;
            * Alfred Lee, CCR Director of Research, formerly of the Cleveland
            Museum of Natural History, is the senior archaeologist and directs all
            field and lab research projects; Mr. Lee has taught students at all
            levels in Cleveland, including serving as faculty at both the Metro and
            Western Campuses of Tri-C, presenting research findings to students,
            faculty, administration at Tri-C Eastern Campus
            * Elizabeth Hoag, CCR Research Coordinator, recently joined the
            CCR and Tri-C with expertise in Historical Archaeology, Meso-American
            Archaeology, and Historical Educational Outreach as the former Vice
            President of the Connecticut Historical Society; Elizabeth Hoag,
            Research Coordinator, was approved with stipend as a participant in the
            NEH/OHS seminar for community college educators, "Mounds, Earthworks,
            and Pre-History of the Ohio Valley", 2006.
            * B. Monika Zsigmond, CCR Supervisor of Lab and Field Research;
            shares her time now with the CCR, National Park Service as field
            research project supervisor, and recently was hired as Project
            Supervisor for a large local engineering firm needing her expertise in
            field research projects;
            * Antoinette Swanson, CCR Coordinator of Lab and Field Research
            Collaborative Projects, was recently brought in to the CCR from Levin
            College of Urban Affairs where she is a graduate student and project
            intern; she works with Alfred Lee and Elizabeth Hoag on collaborative
            research projects such as the East High School Urban Archaeology and
            Community Museum Project, the Cozad-Bates Project, and the Shaker Lakes
            Field Research Education Project.

            Collaborative Partnerships

            The following organizations and institutions continue to be our most
            significant collaborative partners in providing underserved urban
            students with stimulating research opportunities in urban communities:
            1. Cuyahoga Community College: our host and central partner with
            whom we share our mission and which provides the community agency
            authority, laboratory for research and oversight for CCR project
            relationships and grants; Tri-C land purchased in our urban
            neighborhoods has provided us with a rich source of undeveloped and
            historically significant land use for our research project sites,
            particularly the Burkhart Site on the former St. Joseph Church property
            at E. 23rd and Woodland Ave., and the Long-Severance Site, at 34th and
            Woodland.
            2. Cleveland Municipal School District: along with Tri-C is our
            core partner for student and faculty project participation in urban
            student research; key partners within CMSD have been the High Tech
            Academy housed at Tri-C and led by Ken Hale; John Marshall High School
            with core CCR high school faculty partner, Jach Schmoll; East High
            School partner for the current two year project discussed below; Camille
            Papagiannis, former Director of Social Studies at the CMSD
            3. Cleveland State University, Levin College of Urban Affairs:
            collaboration with the East High School project; research collaboration
            with faculty member Richard Klein, graduate student intern, Antoinette
            Swanson, undergraduate research intern, Edie Buchanan; Anthropology
            Department faculty member Peter Dunham
            4. Western Reserve Historical Society: collaboration on East High
            School project and for student research projects
            5. Cuyahoga County Archives: collaboration on student research
            projects
            6. Shaker Historical Society (SHS): CCR Director Lewine assisted
            the SHS in developing a new ten year Strategic Plan to include an
            interdisciplinary field research outreach program at the Shaker Lakes
            area for urban and eastern inner ring suburban high school and college
            students as well as citizen volunteers; Drs. Lewine and Bernatowicz
            presented educational programs for the SHS on CCR and other projects
            relating to local history; CCR Research Coordinator Hoag volunteered as
            Education Committee Chair for the SHS Board of Trustees; Lewine, Hoag
            and Bernatowicz were elected to the Board of Trustees for three year
            terms
            7. Kent State University: collaboration with oral history projects
            8. American Anthropological Society (AAA): continuing support for
            national network of community educational outreach projects through
            placement of CCR as national model on AAA website
            9. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC): provides
            network of community field research programs with CCR at Tri-C, CCR at
            Capilano College in Vancouver and Archaeology Field School at Cabrillo
            College in California as core programs; publishes CCR research papers in
            journal, "Teaching Anthropology".
            10. Smithsonian Institute: publishes and disseminates CCR project
            work as model in "Anthro Notes", journal for K-12 outreach to K-12
            faculty.

            Community Research Projects

            1. The "Community Linked Historical Research Project", funded by a
            grant from the Ohio Humanities Council (OHC), provided funds to support
            our core project work, urban student research projects with student
            participants and interns, and to support public dissemination through
            display of our project work to students and the community. This
            project, though granted a needed extension because of staff illness and
            the sudden hiring of our CCR Research Director as full-time lecturer at
            the Tri-C Western Campus along with the hiring of our Lab and Field
            Supervisor as Project Director for a regional CRM engineering firm, is
            now on schedule and nearing completion. As published on the OHC website,
            the following is an accurate concise summary of the work:
            * CCR faculty and staff continuously engage in archaeological
            research in our urban Cleveland community by overseeing hands-on work by
            CCC students, student interns and Cleveland area high school students.
            CCC have designed and are building a visual exhibit to share the
            information with area schools, in community agencies and on each of the
            three CCC branch campuses.
            * The new 'visual exhibit, or historical research display for the
            CCR, is designed so that it can be easily portable, and updated as
            information about the Center and its projects changes. Outreach plans
            for the display include setting it up at a number of different local
            venues, including local high schools, colleges, museums, historical
            societies, fairs and markets, Tri-C functions like open registration and
            convocation, and other locations in the community. This will allow us to
            increase our visibility in the community, and to promote our Center's
            student and civic educational programs and the research outcomes
            produced. Physically, it consists of two stackable folding panels
            (each 3' tall and 6' long, broken into three sections). When put
            together, they are folded into a 6' tall triangle. Information on the
            Center is displayed n this triangle through the use of plastic frames
            that adhere to the panels with Velcro fasteners. In addition to the
            display itself, there are also 7 Riker Mount display cases of varying
            size that will be used to house real historic and prehistoric artifacts
            that help the viewer visualize and understand the information in the
            display. The display content is broken down into three subjects areas:
            o First, we highlight the Center and its members, with a
            statement of our mission, the work that we do, and bios of the Tri-C
            staff and faculty that are involved with various projects.
            o Second, we show specific information on some of our recent CCR
            archaeological projects. We specifically focus on some of the Early
            Burkhart occupation materials, showing how archaeology is carried out,
            and how we learn and make inferences about the past based on
            archaeological materials. We focus on how we learned that soap making
            was taking place at the site, and how that related to early settlement
            and urbanization of Cleveland. This section of the display will be
            updated frequently as we undertake more projects and have new things to
            report.
            o Finally, we highlight some of the programming and opportunities
            that the center is offering, including relevant course offerings, field
            schools, internships, volunteer work, and research.
            o We have developed a CCR program outreach schedule to include the
            visual display for the latter part of 2006 and early 2007. Initially we
            will be demonstrating the work of the CCR first to the Tri-C community,
            including the Board of Trustees, central administration, then students,
            faculty, administrations and staff at all 3 campuses of the college. We
            then plan to include programs with the new display at our collaborating
            regional educational and research institutions: Western Reserve
            Historical Society, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State
            College of Urban Affairs, Cuyahoga County Archives, Kent State
            University, Cleveland Public Library, and others to be named later.

            2. "John Brown, the Barber", an archival and document research
            project, shows great promise for further work by a research team
            following the initial investigations by two of our student research
            interns. A current student research intern, with the help of a former
            student research intern, completed an archival and document research
            project on Brown and found that he was a little-known but highly
            significant contributor to Cleveland history in the early nineteenth
            century. Supervised by CCR/Tri-C historian and Urban Social Scientist
            Nina Turner and CCR/Tri-C historian David Bernatowicz, intern Edie
            Buchanan uncovered evidence of the contribution of Mr. Brown to public
            education for African-American children, to integrated education in
            Cleveland more than one hundred years before Brown vs. Board of
            education, to the earliest civil rights movement in the area, and began
            documentation of the significant role of the barber and the barber shop
            in civic culture in African-American and American society. As we
            disseminate her work, as well as the work of her student research
            mentor, Ray Videc, we are finding many students interested in further
            work on this project. Mr. Videc, in a letter to the CCR and to his Law
            School Admissions Office, cited his work with the CCR on this project as
            the seminal experience that has resulted in his progress as a student
            and his current acceptance to Law School following cum laude
            undergraduate work at the Levin School of Urban Affairs. We are
            currently looking for an appropriate student in a regional graduate
            school in History to conduct a dissertation research project on this
            subject with our CCR student interns and student researchers
            participating in the research team process.

            3. Our core research projects, lab and field historical archaeology
            research studies of our two current sites: the Burkhart Site at E. 23rd
            and Woodland, and the Long-Severance Site at E. 34th and Woodland, have
            involved many urban students from local junior and senior high schools
            as well as Tri-C and local area colleges and universities in their first
            experience with primary and secondary research, with actual field and
            lab research techniques and methods through hands-on, supervised
            activities on site and in our lab. The Burkhart Site, through mainly lab
            processing and analyzing of artifacts by students with research interns
            supervised by CCR professional staff, has yielded two occupations in our
            preliminary findings (see attached) . An earlier occupation (circa
            1830), which included a significant finding of soap manufacturing from
            primary materials on site. The larger finding of a documented
            habitation by a Prussian immigrant family from the 1850's through the
            end of the nineteenth century, the Burkharts, demonstrated domestic
            living patterns with diagnostic social significance through analysis of
            material artifacts indicating social strata, ethnicity, level of
            urbanization, diet, transportation patterns, drug use, commercial
            enterprise, and more. Students exposed to this project over the year
            included twenty eight high school students from one class at John
            Marshall High School in September, 2005, nineteen students from another
            class at John Marshall High School in January 2006. Both classes were
            not only exposed to our historical archaeology projects, but had both
            Research Director Lee and Marshall H.S. social science teacher Jach
            Schmoll gav the students their first exposure to other field research
            sites and a variety of research methods. Our students, volunteers f rom
            the community and selected Tri-C student research interns worked with
            our lab and field research supervisor, Monika Zsigmond to prepare the
            lab materials and assist Research Director Lee in artifact analysis and
            presentation of materials analyzed so that student groups could learn
            effectively in the lab. The high quality of their work was proven not
            only by the student participants and faculty reactions, but by the
            hiring of Ms. Zsigmond by both the National Park Service and the CRM
            Engineering firm.

            * One-to-two day exposures to both lab and field project work were
            experienced by large numbers of anthropology, history and urban study
            students from classes taught by Professors Lewine, Bernatowicz and Hoag
            at Tri-C Metro Campus. Dr. Salem, Case Professor of 2004 in Ohio in
            History and Womens' Studies, who ordinarily would have added her
            students, was on sabbatical leave. All told, two hundred and seventy six
            students from Dr. Lewine's classes were exposed to CCR research projects
            and the research process conducted for them, as well as eighty three
            students from Prof. Berntowicz history classes. Professor Lee involved
            his three hundred and thirty seven students in anthropology and
            archaeology classes at Western Campus in the CCR research projects
            through integration of them in his classes. Few, however, were able to
            be on-site or actually visit the lab due to scheduling and travel
            issues. We hope in the future to provide sites of a similar era in
            Cleveland history in Berea, Ohio, very near the Western Campus. Eastern
            Campus students have not participated often, a few a year sent by
            colleagues after presentations by CCR staff on their campus, but we plan
            to involve them in our future work with the Shaker Historical Society
            near that campus, also in the same time frame.

            * The CCR provided critical lab facilities and professional
            archaeological research leadership by CCR staff for the "Urban
            Archaeology Dig Project", a collaborative project involving East High
            School in Cleveland, Levin College of Urban Affairs of Cleveland State
            University, the Western Reserve Historical Society, and the Cuyahoga
            County Archives. Support for this two year project was provided
            initially by the Discovery Channel then by the Cleveland Municipal
            School District. In both years, the primary project lead was East High
            School and its dynamic social studies teacher along with the Director of
            Education of the Western Reserve Historical Society. As in all these
            projects, collaboration is necessary among many agencies and the CCR
            provided the professional archaeological expertise, supervision, and
            instruction. Our research staff also provided leadership in the
            development of the service learning project, "Bringing Our Neighborhood
            Together", as they helped the students and faculty of East High produce
            the local historical neighborhood museum project. Our CCR lab
            facilities were essential to the second year of the program. We are
            looking forward to adapting this successful model project to other high
            schools in the region. Planning for this has begun with the new John
            Hay High School administration and with the Director of Social Studies
            in the CMSD.

            4. The "Cozad-Bates House Project" is a new and exciting historic
            restoration and educational project involving new partnerships in the
            University Circle area. Our main participation will be the educational
            program and field school development for students and citizens as well
            as involvement by our students and interns in collaborating with the
            community agencies involved with the restoration. This house is one of
            the oldest pre-Civil War structures in the area and the CCR has been
            doing collaborative planning on keeping the structure as a site of
            educational and historical worth for our region. The CCR Research
            Coordinator, Elizabeth Hoag, has taken the lead on this effort and has
            established strong collaborative ties with the community organizational
            leadership, particularly with Joan Southgate of Restore Cleveland Hope.
            University CircleInc., will be a central partner in this effort. Anne
            Swanson, our CCR/CSU Urban Affairs field research supervisor has been
            working on the planning team with Ms. Hoag on this project.

            Community Outreach

            1. The eighth annual Youth Outreach Archaeology Summer Camp in 2006
            involved the usual two sessions during July. For the first time,
            advanced marketing yielded an overflow of participants from all over
            Cuyahoga County and two international visitors, in total, almost twice
            as many youth as ever before. Fifteen students attended the first week,
            directed toward High School aged pupils. All fifteen continued their
            work through the entire week, despite interruptions from heavy rains on
            the first day and occasionally thereafter and the need to do the hard
            work of opening new test units as a maintenance crew had filled in our
            prepared test units. Lab and computer research methods were taught
            during the bad weather periods, thus giving the participants a broader
            educational experience which they appreciated. Two of the participants,
            visitors from Jordan, expressed the desire to continue their field
            experience in the future, both with the CCR and back in Jordan. The
            second session enrolled twelve though six were absent from the first
            day. The remaining six were highly enthusiastic and willing
            participants in all the research activities. They reaped the benefits
            of the cleared units from the first week, and were delighted to make
            discoveries of historic materials in their units.

            2.
            With a surprise discovery of flint tool fragments from prehistoric
            habitation, we submitted a press release on behalf of the CCR and Tri-C
            to the media, and contacted Jeff Maynor, an NBC television news anchor
            who has expressed interest in our activities in the past. We received
            prime time evening news coverage by Channel 3, highlighting the unique
            nature of our Center's research work and our current prehistoric find on
            the site. Four regional newspapers also published very positive stories
            highlighting our students efforts and the Center's program which offers
            this unique opportunity to students.

            I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For
            a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to
            other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way
            to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a
            community college setting including everything from time to do research
            and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and
            drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have
            been worked out in various programs.
            To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City
            College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't
            know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

            Jill

            Jill Minar, Ph.d.
            Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography Fresno City
            College
            1101 E. University Avenue
            Fresno, CA 93741

            >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
            >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC
            Notes'
            >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues
            of
            >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
            >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
            >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
            >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
            >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
            >copies in the mail to you.
            >
            >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
            >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings
            this
            >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give
            this
            >a miss.
            >
            >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in
            my
            >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
            >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you
            so
            >desire.
            >
            >Bob

            >Greetings,
            >
            >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
            >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
            >Florida.
            >
            >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
            >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
            >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Jason Wenzel
            >wenzelj@...
            >

            >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW